Pain in hip joint

Options
Hi all!

I've been doing 5x5 for a while now with succcess, but on the last 3 or so sessions i've been feeling pain in my hip joint when I squat. The first time i pushed through, the second time I increased the weight but didn't complete the full amount of sets because i didn't want to push it. So today i dropped the weight back down but i still felt a pain right in the joint of my hip towards the end.

I did some research, this could be because i need a belt to support my back/core. My actual squat form is fine as far as I know, i've had someone watch me to see that that's not the issue.

However I also felt the pain today when I was doing my pendlay rows so I'm thinking my form could be to blame there, unless it's an after effect from the squats.

The pain goes away after a couple of hours but it is there during the exercise. It is like an achey type of pain rather than a sharp pain.

Any advice about what I should do? Should I take a break from training? Drop weights completely and just use the bar?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Post a vid if you can to rule out a form issue, preferably with a working weight rather than a warm up. Shoot vid from behind and to the side please

1. What is your warm up routine and your working weight
    2. Where in the hip is the pain? Deep in the joint? Groin? Across the front/psoas area?
  • foxandnegayo
    foxandnegayo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What's your working weight?
    I've been told a belt is not needed or recommended until the weight is really heavy (for me at 128lb, that might be 200). One of the reasons for this is that I want to build strength in my core and back and be able to rely on it instead of relying on the assistance of a belt.

I may have a similar pain..it's kind of in my hip joint, maybe a little lower.
    A couple of things helped me:
    --I immediately rested for a few days longer than I normally would (even though I probably should have rested 7-10 days)
    --I now warm up longer and I stretch a lot more before and in between sets <--this helped the most
    --I foam roll every day (rumble roller)
    --I use a lacross ball to roll that area when I'm driving to the gym (not sure if this helps)
    --Pointing my toes out more
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I posted about this when I was doing SL - back in October or November. I started doing some stretching/rolling/adductor work, but the pain (or ache - and only when I moved a certain way) never fully went away. It wasn't affecting my daily life or anything so I figured it was something I'd have to live with if I was doing a lot of squats.

Now that I'm on 5/3/1, I'm not squatting 3x/week and it's significantly better!
  • charlychops
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I haven't got a foam roller so I think I'll have to invest!

I took a few days off, I'm going back today so we'll see how I get on. I can't post a vid as I have no-one to take one for me. My working weight is 55kg which is nearly equal to my bodyweight. I'll try lowering the weight a bit today and warming up for longer
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a recurring hip issue, too. Mine is due to an uneven pelvis, which causes the tendons on the side of hip to thicken and the faciea to get aggravated through overuse, i.e., too much, too fast. This in turn causes the IT band to pull on the knee and then another tendon pulls on the lower back. It's really annoying but rolling it with a foam roller helps a lot.

there are some good videos on youtube by Theo Simon and also on MobilityWod.com