Using ankle weights

Options
Hi. Do hope someone can help. I recently read Strong Women Stay Young and decided to follow her programme as I prefer working at home on my own. But I am having a huge problem finding ankle weights that go up as high as 20lb on each ankle. They just don't seem to exist in the UK where I am and postage and tax from the US is prohibitive. (I actually ordered some from a site that said 20lb on each leg but when they arrived were only 10lb so now need to return them). I CAN get ones that go up to 10lb on each ankle using increments of 1lb solid rods.

Question 1) Once I get over 10lb per leg I could only do the exercises by wearing TWO ankle straps and weights on each leg. Is this possible?

Also, there are three exercises using ankle weights (Knee extension, Side hip raise, hip extension) and each says to alternate legs within one rep. Once I get over 10lb per leg this would only be possible by taking two lots of weights off one leg and strapping them to the other for each rep! Which is obviously not feasible.

Question 2) is there any reason why I can't do 8 reps with one leg and then 8 with the other rather than alternating legs within a rep?

It is so frustrating not being able to get going with this so would be very grateful for any advice. There is no point me buying 10lb weights now and starting if there is no way to move up to higher weight levels.

Replies

• wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1) As long as you can fit two weights on one leg, I don't think this should be an issue.

2) That's fine --- You can do all your reps for one leg, then move onto your other leg. The only thing you might be giving up would be the couple seconds of rest one leg might have while alternating! This can, of course, be simulated by pausing between each rep if needed.
  • LyndaSBenham
    LyndaSBenham Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Both of those things are exactly what I wanted to hear!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would advise against using ankle weights. Just from personal experience, and from the experience of a few others. They can cause knee and ankle injury.