Another pre-sugery diet question!

Options
Iknowsaur
Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
I'm trying to lose some weight on my own before my surgery (May 30th! I've been waiting since August!) and I have 1550 calories a day to eat in order to lose 2 pounds a week. I can't really do any cardio because my knees can't support my weight very well, so any calories I burn are just doing mild work around our apartment (laundry, dishes, etc.) and lifting light weights.
I know that after surgery I'll be eating tiny meals frequently throughout the day, but right now I find I'm doing really well eating 2-3 big meals (at least calorie-wise, full of protein and veggies) and then a couple of small snacks.
I am practicing eating very slowly and chewing my food to death, so when I make a meal I end up more picking at it over 30 minutes to an hour than just eating it all at once, and if it's a protein shake it can last even longer
Do you think I really have to convert to many, small separate meals before surgery? I'm worried it will ruin the current success I'm having staying below my calories.

Replies

• fire_Falcon
    Options
    Eating slow is not so good after. it almost become grazing when you spread a meal out to long. It takes me about 25 minutes to finsh a bowl of broth. remember your not drinking 15 minutes prior and 1 hour after practice.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think you need to convert to smaller meals prior to surgery. I think you are doing the right things by practicing chewing your food thoroughly and eating slowly. Post surgery, my surgeon wants his patients to eat slowly - 30 minutes per meal if possible, and no drinking 30 min before or after eating. After surgery, it's almost like you are starting from square one and you will have to sort out how you will be eating and taking in all the protein and fluids you need. I have had to pretty much learn to eat by schedule since surgery - I eat small amounts 5 times a day, spaced out to accommodate drinking water. Maybe when I am able to eat a little more I can eat less frequently, but at this point, 6 months out, I am still not able to eat a whole lot at once. You will be able to work out what works for you, but definitely follow your surgeon's advice and eating plan.

ETA - You will see that advice and plans really vary from surgeon to surgeon, so your best bet is to work closely with your surgeon and his team!
  • Pearlsbabygirl
    Options
    I am also pre-surg. so I can't help you out with your question, but as for cardio have you tried the pool? I HATED that question or suggestion -- until I tried it. I love the pool now! The good news, fat floats. :wink: So I never had to worry about sinking. Oh maybe that is a bad joke, but seriously at first I hated walking from the locker room to the pool & getting in. Of course I didn't want anyone to see me, :embarassed: and of course the rule at the pool I go to we have to wear swim attire. Now I am in I absolutely LOVE it. I go about 7 am weekdays during Lap Swim. There are only adults allowed during Lap Swim and during the week, everyone who works has pretty much left by the time I get there. Those who are there have been so supportive, too.

While in the pool, I have tried swimming laps. I thought I would be able to without a problem, but I was wrong. I tried using the kick-board without much success either. So I walk or jog laps (if I am able to use the shallow lane) and I use the Styrofoam dumb-bells with water resistance. I also like to "run" in the 9 ft. deep water. A friend who used to run had to stop because of his knees. His doctor told him to "run" in the pool; same motion. That can be a good workout, too; good cardio! Now, the worst part about going to the pool is leaving - I never want to. Oh, just a heads up, if you do go, it is pretty hard physically to get out the first few times, if you are using the ladder. If you are lucky enough to have a pool with stairs, put your towel by them and use them. Good luck and have fun! You will, if you just try it. :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think you can wait until surgery to convert to frequent small meals, because frankly, you will have to. The only real changes you need to make pre-surgery is to up your water intake to 8 glasses a day and start walking (if possible). I couldn't walk far pre-surgery, but the doctor asked I do 20 minutes a day and I eventually worked up to that. Most doctors ask for a certain amount of weight be lost prior to surgery, so you might get some instructions on that. But the biggest bit of advice I can give you is follow your sugrical team's plan and instructions. Each doctor does things slightly different and you will see that on here as we each talk about what we do or don't do. So you might be on full liquids longer or shorter than someone else or you might bypass pureed food right to soft, where I for instance, had 2 weeks of pureed. I've seen lots of variety.

Good luck with your surgery. This is a great tool! Use it well.