From NROLFW to 5x5

Options
whizzlers
whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
Hi all,

I have completed stage 1 of NOLFW and even though I enjoyed it, after a lot of reading and research, I have decided to move to 5x5 due to its simplicity.

I have just completed workout B, and I have found it to be so much easier to navigate around the gym and just to complete.

Has anyone else moved from NROLFW? How do you all find 5x5?

I really think I will enjoy it?

If nothing else, NROLFW has given me the confidence to be in the weights section and know what I am doing

xx

Replies

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to 5x5 SL but I did look at both programs before I started. Stronglifts just seemed much more basic- I focus on 3 exercises a day and do my best to master the form- NOLFW seemed like way too much going on....

Welcome...and Good luck with 5x5 SL this group has helped me with my questions thus far and everyone has been really friendly!! :tongue:
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree, thats what I liked about it. Stage 1 of NROLFW gave me time to focus on form, but looking forward it gets to complicated.

I have completed my third session this morning and as there are only three exercises, I have plenty of time to make sure that my form is correct.

How are you finding it? xx
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My gym partner and I did New Rules last year to completion. I thought it was fun, but it did get more complicated (and take a lot longer) in the final stages. We learned a lot, and feel pretty comfortable around the weight room these days.

I'm doing SL as a deload/form program to work on the basics, while I'm recovering from hip tendonitis. I think it's a little boring, but it's easy enough to mix it up with some core work/assistance exercises at the end.

Also, people report great gains so we shall see!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I considered New Rules, before I decided to go with StrongLifts. I bought the book and really enjoyed it, but like you, I thought it was too complicated, so went with SL. I don't think it's boring, because it gives me a chance to concentrate on form and it's challenging. I really like the instant gratification I feel when I add that next 5 lbs and complete the lift or when I break through a plateau.

I also really like being stronger and what it's done for my body! :happy:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I haven't read NROLFW but heard it does get complicated.

When I chose SL 5x5 it was for it's simplicity...ease and well KISS principle.

You don't need lots of equipment, just 5 exercises and nothing too dangerous ie powercleans
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I considered New Rules, before I decided to go with StrongLifts. I bought the book and really enjoyed it, but like you, I thought it was too complicated, so went with SL. I don't think it's boring, because it gives me a chance to concentrate on form and it's challenging. I really like the instant gratification I feel when I add that next 5 lbs and complete the lift or when I break through a plateau.

I also really like being stronger and what it's done for my body! :happy:

again exactly my thoughts. I also read the book but as an absolute beginner I felt more comfy getting into the stuff with the SL program.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't read NROLFW but heard it does get complicated.

When I chose SL 5x5 it was for it's simplicity...ease and well KISS principle.

You don't need lots of equipment, just 5 exercises and nothing too dangerous ie powercleans

Hey, why are powercleans dangerous?
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think maybe they are just more tricky to learn if you don't have a coach right there with you to watch your form and guide you.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was just about finished with Stage 5 of NROLFW when I switched. The workouts were simply too long. I have a very busy schedule and couldn't fit 2 hour workouts in so I found I was skipping a lot of the time and just doing cardio at home. I find SL to fit perfectly. I do think I am going to start adding a bit of accessory work soon.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I made it through stage 2 and then switched for the same reason that others listed: simplicity. Plus, I feel more badass doing deadlifts than I do doing some variation of lunges.
  • RawTasha
    RawTasha Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I also switched from stage 2 New Rules to SL because it seemed to get too complicated and time consuming. I workout alone at home so I felt I really needed to go back to basics and get my form sorted before moving on.
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've just made the switch, but you (OP) already know that :) Loved NROL4W for the first two stages, but stage 3 was excessively complicated. When you need to pause a million times to re-read the instructions and then still feel like something isn't quite right, you need to look into something else. I do love some of the exercises and I can see adding them into my routine.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was just about finished with Stage 5 of NROLFW when I switched. The workouts were simply too long. I have a very busy schedule and couldn't fit 2 hour workouts in so I found I was skipping a lot of the time and just doing cardio at home. I find SL to fit perfectly. I do think I am going to start adding a bit of accessory work soon.

This. Also, I was a member of the NROLFW group for awhile, and everyone was so scattered across the various stages that maybe that's why it seemed like less group synergy over there than over here.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I considered new rules but picked Strong Lifts, glad I did.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I did NROLFW to completion and loved it. I was sad when it was finished! But now I'm 3 weeks into Stronglifts and enjoying this too! I got amazing results from NROL so I'm hoping to get even more from SL!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I did NROLFW until stage 3 and my personal gripe is that you switch routines so often you barely get a chance to add weights. In stage 1 you repeat each workout 8 times, which is sufficient for trial and error and noob gains. Then you do the others 4 times, which is very short. How much can you add in 4 workouts??
    I liked some of the exercises but really felt it was missing the point IMO which is to add a lot of weight slowly and safely.
    I haven't start SL yet because I just got back from my 3 week honeymoon, but will begin tonight probably (although I fancy a run outside since it's so nice lately...).

Anyways, that's my thought about the 2 programs.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I was reading through posts in this group and this caught my eye. This is the path I took as well. I loved reading New Rules and I credit it with getting me into a structured freeweight program. Like others have said, however, it was overly complicated, required a lot of different equipment, and took too long each session.

I didn't like that it starts you with normal squats and deadlifts then transitions you to variations. It seems like it should be the other way around. I also hate lunges and NROL seems to favor lunges and split squats and other single-leg isolation exercises. The changing of routines also limited the amount of weight I could add which bummed me out.

I would spend a lot of time running around the gym using different equipment with it, too. Getting on popular equipment like the cable machine and the squat rack was a challenge as was finding the space and gathering items like steps, exercise balls, and dumbbells to do lunges, ab work, and step-ups. I'd end up spending 2+ hours in the gym and I just don't have the time or desire to do that.

I changed to strong lifts because my squat plateaued at 85 lbs and deadlift at 105 and I thought deloading and using a basic progressive program would help me out. Strong lifts was easy and pretty short at first but now, in week 5, it's definitely challenging and taking longer. I liked having those first few workouts to get my form down and feel comfortable with the movement. I just squatted 110 and deadlifted 125 with (some) ease. I'm also benching more than I ever could. After 12 weeks, I'm going to stick to a similar type program.

I'd recommend NROLFW to people who are new/shy/skeptical about lifting with free weights. Lou Schuler does a great job explaining why women should be lifting heavy and how to go about it. He also does it in an entertaining manner.