My 'Jar Of Emotions' project

Options
I know this may not seem relevant to fitness and weight loss, but days like these, hard days when we are trying to cope with everyday struggles, losses, emotions, etc. are the days when we can lose focus and fall back into bad habits. I gain strength from others when I know they are dealing with hardships, and yet they remain strong and focused on their weight loss goals.

So, I have been re-reading profiles and posts from others, and reminding myself that we ALL have struggles, and so many are dealing with such difficult ones. In them, I am finding strength, but also those lessons in not being selfish and self-centered and allowing the pity parties of the past. The world does not revolve around me and my rocky little world.

So, here is what I decided to do.

When life gets me down and I have the choice to revert to old habits, or create new and productive ones, I am going to choose the latter. I vow to never 'eat' my way past a heartbreak, a sad moment, a bump in the road. While I am not really feeling like I want to down a bag of chips to soothe my soul right now, that feeling is still symbolic to me, a reminder that I need to be doing more positive things. I was thinking about how much money I have wasted over the years on junk food as a coping tool instead of developing a stronger character.

So, I am making a 'Jar Of Emotions'. The idea is this. There will be things in any given day that will cause some emotional stress for me. I fed that over the years, and I was thinking that if I had donated the cost of whatever I was putting in my stomach as a way of coping, how many hungry children could have been 'fed' in a much more productive manner. If I had turned my emotional negative into a positive that could have provided a meal for a hungry child, a homeless individual, or even a shelter animal, how many moments of true pain, stress, hunger, sadness, could I have prevented? A lot, I realized.

That is how I am going to cope with these down days, sad moments, and emotional stresses. One dollar will go in my 'Jar Of Emotions' each time I am struggling. I will be able to see what, in the past, I would have wasted on snacks during my pity parties. I will be able to see that grow into something that can, when donated, be of true use to someone who is truly HUNGRY. I set the donation date of November 22, 2014, just before Thanksgiving, when I will donate all of my 'emotions' where they will do some good. And then, I will celebrate Thanksgiving this year with a new understanding of what one really needs in this life and I will be thankful that every difficult emotion I experienced between now and then will have value and purpose in someone else's life. It will be okay for me to feel sad, because my sadness will lend something to someone, or something else's happiness. That, in turn, will give me a reason to celebrate, to be happy.

Would anyone like to join me?

Replies

• mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What an awesome idea!

Since I have been struggling with emotional eating lately, especially when I'm at work, I think joining you is something that I really need to do! Unfortunately, cash is not something that I carry around with me much of the time (mostly in an effort to stay away from the snacks that are readily available to buy here), so I may just get those little jewel-colored stones to put into the jar. In November, I will donate $1 for every stone to the Second Harvest Food Bank here in NC.

It will pretty up my work cubicle and I won't have to worry about anyone stealing the $!
  • FlumpyMe
    FlumpyMe Posts: 34
    Options
    That is such a good idea! I will definitely try and do that! I love doing things for charity so it will be killing two birds with one stone!
    Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sue - I think that is a fabulous lovely idea. Honestly I have been working hard at this so I rarely if ever turn to food to beat my emotions. I prefer to turn elsewhere (walk, exercise, crochet etc -- yes this is the truth). But here's the deal -- I will match your jar of emotion's. I will pick a charity, and on Nov 22nd you tell me what I have to donate. Think of it like I am sponsoring you, I don't actually want you to be too emotional through the year, but I want your jar to double the donation in a different way.

Good for you!!! One of my favourite things to do is to donate and be charitable and I hope you like this idea.

Joanne
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, thanks everyone for joining in! I like the stone idea, too, that will make it easy for anyone who wants to do it to do so in a more public place if that is the only option. Great idea! You are very welcome, Georgia, can't wait to see how it goes!
    Joanne, thank you SO much! What a wonderful thing to do!!! I will try not to be TOO emotional, but sadly, I have always been that way. I am hoping I will be stronger as the months pass, but with the wedding I cancelled in October, that may be a pretty tough month, lol. Anyway, what will be will be, and it will be much healthier to feed others in need that to feed my unhealthy emotional eating habits.

Thanks again, everyone!!! (hugs) (hugs) and more (hugs)
    Sue
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    And we're off...lol
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You are such a lovely, sensitive person! I have a couple of charities that I support as well!
  • mjharman
    Options
    Those little chocolate candy bars are calling my name...:devil:
    But I know if I eat just one, I will start binging on so much more. :grumble:
    And then I will feel really badly. :sick:

SO...another stone in the jar...to remind me to stay strong. :embarassed:
    Today is a run day - I can't wait to go to get away from the chocolates! To go to the park and run! :happy:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    That is so cool!

Yup - this is one of those weeks. Two funerals this week. The one tomorrow will be tough. My good friends sister. :(
    you're right, we all have times to get through.
    We all know how things come in three's... praying this time it doesn't.
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What a lovely idea! I like the idea of stones as well. I think I will get two small jars, one for home and one for the office. Then on Nov 22nd, I can add them together for one charity or give each one to a different charity.

My charity (ies) :

PAWS Rescue Group

M2G team (Miles 2 Give) - charity that supports Sarcoma Cancer Research, my friend is part of a team that to raise funds is running 10,000 miles around the perimeter of the US. No that was not a type-o, they really are running 10,000 miles.

Thank you for thinking of this and sharing it.
  • mjharman
    Options
    That is so cool!

Yup - this is one of those weeks. Two funerals this week. The one tomorrow will be tough. My good friends sister. :(
    you're right, we all have times to get through.
    We all know how things come in three's... praying this time it doesn't.

Oh no! That is a tough one!
    Sending thoughts and adding prayers...
  • mjharman
    Options
    What a lovely idea! I like the idea of stones as well. I think I will get two small jars, one for home and one for the office. Then on Nov 22nd, I can add them together for one charity or give each one to a different charity.

My charity (ies) :

PAWS Rescue Group

M2G team (Miles 2 Give) - charity that supports Sarcoma Cancer Research, my friend is part of a team that to raise funds is running 10,000 miles around the perimeter of the US. No that was not a type-o, they really are running 10,000 miles.

10,000 miles! WOW! How inspiring!
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

My charity (ies) :

PAWS Rescue Group

It really is inspiring. if you want to know more you can visit the website www.miles2give.org

My friend is the Tour Chef and one of the runners. I think it is ironic or fate that their running tour starts in April and will finish in November. Exactly when this post is making their Jar of Emotions donations.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options

My charity (ies) :

PAWS Rescue Group

It really is inspiring. if you want to know more you can visit the website www.miles2give.org

My friend is the Tour Chef and one of the runners. I think it is ironic or fate that their running tour starts in April and will finish in November. Exactly when this post is making their Jar of Emotions donations.

Adding another WOW

Joanne
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    Nancy, thoughts are with you. (hugs)

and I will second the WOW! That is amazing!

Thanks everyone for posting, sharing and joining in. My jar lid is getting a workout this week, lol.
    It is keeping me pushing towards the goal, though. :)
  • mjharman
    Options
    Nancy, thoughts are with you. (hugs)

and I will second the WOW! That is amazing!

Thanks everyone for posting, sharing and joining in. My jar lid is getting a workout this week, lol.
    It is keeping me pushing towards the goal, though. :)

**HUGS!!**
  • mjharman
    Options
    My jar is filling up today...
    Although I can't identify the emotions. I just feel hungry...ravenous...like I want to eat everything in sight!

I keep walking over to the snack store that is located in our lab...
    Why is it here? To tempt and to taunt me?

Everytime I walk over, I think of all the calories that are there.
    And I imagine the next number that I want to see on the scale...I always do this, I project a number on the scale that I want to see. Only a pound or two less than my current weight...a short term, easily attainable goal...
    So I imagine this number and it gives me the strength to turn around and walk away...
    And I put another stone in the jar.

Thank goodness it is Friday! Weekends are so much easier! I always have so much to do, I am too busy to eat!
    HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!
    I love you all!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    Marsha that is fantastic!! Sorry about the emotions, but as Sue created there is a charity that will benefit. Not that I want anyone to be emotional but al least until emotions are completely under control there is a tiny win from the donation jar.