What is your opinion on Mac products?

Options
Personally, I'm a cheapskate and could not bring myself to buy mac makeup. I know it's good quality, however it's way too expensive. I also believe there are products that are just as good quality, and they're cheaper, so I buy them. I just can't justify the price of mac. I know it's used on all the celebrities, ones who perform on stage, ones who act in tv shows etc. And it probably lasts a long time but I still can't justify it haha.

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Hit and miss in my opinion. I think a lot of it is based off of great marketing and leaning on the brand name rather than the quality of the products themselves. I use the Face and Body Foundation (a mix of C1 and White) because they're one of the few brands that I can get a pale enough shade in. I prefer custom mixing two shades anyways in case I'm a little paler or tanner depending on how much I've been out. As far as the rest of their foundations, I think they're alright. Nothing too spectacular. They do great face powders, cheek products, and concealers, but I've always thought that their shadows and lip products were a bit too dry. But the color selection is fantastic and that kind of variety is hard to come by.

As far as price I think that it's reasonable considering how long it lasts and the selection that's offered. But just like with anything else, I think that a mix of products comes up with the best results. I'll spend more on a foundation or brown pencil, but I never buy expensive mascara (especially since I only use it for 3 months) or lip balms.
  • RevivingOphelia
    RevivingOphelia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only time I have bought Mac, was lip gloss for my wedding. The artist had a specific colour (she only used Mac), and I bought the same one to re-apply all day. I can't say Mac lasted any longer on my wedding day, than if my drug store collection (Cover Girl, Hard Candy, and Maybelline) would have. I'm cheap too though, and use makeup everyday.
  • sweetblackberry1
    sweetblackberry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheapskate too lol but i buy a concealer of MAC a sample not the entire stuff and it was great the first one that gave me great results and the price was not that high compared to other similar products but people like me who don't use a lot of makeup buy samples is the best idea.
  • klippklapp
    Options
    i'm watching a lot of tutorials on youtube and every single time a MAC product appears i'm immediately searching where to get it...just can't help it. But i don't have enough money to actually purchase it so i end up racing to the next drugstore to buy three different cheap dupes that are all crappy of course ;) But probably it's all just a big hype and completely overrated. So the next thing for me will be three sleek-palettes. They're cheap and well pigmented and what else do i need?!

Concerning the concealer: there's a fantastic one for only 2,99 € by Catrice. It's actually a camouflage but you just need a tiny bit and it's the best coverage and finish i ever had with a concealer. It also doesn't crease or anything and lasts all day.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thought I would pop into this group, being an 'oldie but goodie', with years of makeup experience! lol. I like the MAC eyeshadows, the matte colors are nice and stay on long. I also like the MAC eyeliner too. The colors that MAC have are really great with a lot of choices. I tend to stay with the light/taupe browns for eyeshadow. I agree with the other post...go for the cheaper mascara's...as you do end up getting rid of them after several months of using. I like Maybelline for some reason and have used their line for years and years.
  • RevivingOphelia
    RevivingOphelia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thought I would pop into this group, being an 'oldie but goodie', with years of makeup experience! lol. I like the MAC eyeshadows, the matte colors are nice and stay on long. I also like the MAC eyeliner too. The colors that MAC have are really great with a lot of choices. I tend to stay with the light/taupe browns for eyeshadow. I agree with the other post...go for the cheaper mascara's...as you do end up getting rid of them after several months of using. I like Maybelline for some reason and have used their line for years and years.
    Great Lash mascara is the best! I have tried so many, and it is by far the best.
  • staym0tivated
    Options
    I do agree that it is often just the brand name that makes it so differentiated from other make up products, but I'd think that it's dangerous to put random brands on your skin, right? At least with mac you could trust your skin to stay healthy, and you don't have to fear allergic reactions. Mac is self indulgence :) Once in a while getting a product from there that you really like and you know would use whenever you can is going to harm no one - treat yourself, go for it!