This makes me ashamed to be British

Options
prdavies1949
prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10747779/Marathon-runners-continue-despite-race-being-cancelled-due-to-lack-of-water.html

What a shambles, Health and safety gone mad. It is perfectly feasible to run a half without water in Yorkshire in April, the sun wasn't even shining.

Replies

• greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I ran that race last year. What an absolute mess. I'd also be furious if I was told to run a shorter route as well.

I'm just proud of all the spectators helping out with water and cheering the runners anyway.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd have been hopping mad if it had been on my race calendar - some of my friends were going to d it - and yes, I frequently run 13 miles with no water in current weather.... but I guess they couldn't risk it. What a mess!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Man, that's total bull****.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Wow that's crap!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10747779/Marathon-runners-continue-despite-race-being-cancelled-due-to-lack-of-water.html

What a shambles, Health and safety gone mad. It is perfectly feasible to run a half without water in Yorkshire in April, the sun wasn't even shining.

I want to know why tap water would not have been ok in situations like this - if Health and Safety are saying tap water is no good, why? Is it not safe then??

Tap water is fine in the UK - this whole affair is ridiculous and shameful.

Runners will have trained for months for then and apart from the entry fees, many will have forked out for accommodation and travel.

Seriously it is disgraceful.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Au contraire - the reaction of the crowd, buying water to hand out, makes me proud to be a Yorkshireman!

I can't figure what the police thought they were doing though...
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The fact that most of the runners ran despite the race being cancelled and the crowd supported them by supplying water makes me very proud to be British! Don't judge Britain by a failure of a single organisation but by the spirit of the people!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Ashamed to be British? Over-reaction. Isnt it a triumph that people defied the regulations and carried on regardless?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I want to know why tap water would not have been ok in situations like this - if Health and Safety are saying tap water is no good, why? Is it not safe then??

Tap water is fine in the UK - this whole affair is ridiculous and shameful.

No kidding! I've been in races in where I saw a simple garden hose hooked up to a fire hydrant at the water stations.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I love that the spectators supported the race! Love the running community!