Is this the last generation of consoles?

Options
So, I have been gaming since I was 3yrs old. I have always been excited for the next generation of consoles since the first Nintendo. This generation has marked the first time in my life where I am not the least bit excited for them. I feel my Ps3 does everything I need it to do and the PS4/Xbox One doesn't offer anything I need. When I see games like The Last of Us I think it looks better than some 'next gen games.' What do you guys think? Is there reason to pay $400 and more for a console that does a little more? Will companies continue to release new consoles in the next 8yrs that are a little more powerful? Please share your thoughts!
PSN DoubleR_Boss

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Though each new gen is becoming less and less enticing. They lack that WOW factor that earlier generation jumps had.

SNES to PSX was O_o!
    PS2 to PS3 was :-|
    PS3 to PS4 is like :-/

Newer gens are becoming bloatware. Might as well stick to the PC.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It won't be. Both the PS4 and XBONE have sold too well out of the gate to discourage either company from making another console. It's not a big deal to me, since I tend to wait a year or two before buying a new console anyway.
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    @daybehavior I remember being blown away by the PS1 to PS2 jump. When I first saw a final fantasy 10 cutscene, my eyes started bleeding and I had to have a PS2. I have started thinking about investing in a gaming PC. Seems less expensive in the long run.

@thesupremefor I also usually wait about 2yrs, but I truly can't even see myself buying a PS4 anytime soon. I won't even get started on the XBone. I really hope Sony/MS start bringing it with bigger worlds, longer gameplay; much better graphics; just better experiences that the PS3/Xbox 360 couldn't dream of doing.
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Yeah I had the same video card from 2006 to 2013 and was able to play *most* of the games I wanted to play so it's definitely a good investment.

I really haven't been excited about FF until I saw FFXV or FFXIII Versus Agito or wtf it was called when it first came out. I hope they don't keep whoring out the same universe like they did with XIII....****ing ridiculous.
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    After FF10-2, 12,13,13-2;13-3:Dude Bro Chick Returns I have no more hope for the series. I can't believe the BS stories with zero character development they throw at their fans. Its freaking embarrassing now. RIP Final Fantasy :sad:
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the end of consoles, but I think you will see more virtual reality games especially if morpheus does what people say it is going to do. My favorite final fantasy was VII. I loved that game. The only rpg game that came close for me was Skyrim.
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    It will be very interesting to see where morpheus and oculus rift takes gaming! Will it be a gimmick like move gaming and 3D tvs or be the next step? FF8 was my favorite but 7 is a close 2nd. Man I miss mind blowing JRPGs like those! I agree Skyrim also Fallout 3 were amazing! I still need to finish my Fallout NV Ultimate Edition.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had the same video card from 2006 to 2013 and was able to play *most* of the games I wanted to play so it's definitely a good investment.

I really haven't been excited about FF until I saw FFXV or FFXIII Versus Agito or wtf it was called when it first came out. I hope they don't keep whoring out the same universe like they did with XIII....****ing ridiculous.

I imagine that they'll keep "whoring out the same universe" with future releases simply because of the costs involved in putting together the engine and everything in the first place. It makes sense to reuse as many resources as possible (I'm not saying that's ideal for the consumer, but it makes sense). For what it's worth, I did enjoy both XIII and XIII-2 for what they were (I haven't played Lightning Returns yet).

I'm not really a fan of VII either. Sure, it's a decent game, but I thought it was worse than all three SNES era FF games, and I may have preferred most of the games that came after it, as well. I found VII to be largely a rehash of VI without the personality and using ugly graphics.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    While everyone was playing arcade quality like games on the Sega Genesis, I finally got my own Sega Master System at the age of 10. Maybe that's why each new console is exciting for me. The future possibilities are just too enticing to not be a day one adopter. Granted, we don't see a huge mega diference just yet, but that will all change eventually. I'll never forget the first time I popped in Mario 64 aftering being used to 2D Mario and 16-bit Sonic and co! Holy crap, what a sight! Then came the Dreamcast. That was another OMG!!!!!!! If and when they release "The Last of Us" on the PS4, maybe then we will see the difference. I noticed the difference in Tomb Raider right away comparing the PS3 and the PS4 one. Sure, I can play on my PC with Headphones and a controller, but I perfer playing on the big screen with the surround sound on sitting on my couch. As for Final Fantasy, I stopped after 7. The only thing connecting that universe was the magic and some enemies. Other than that, it could've been named something else from Square and you would have never known it was Final Fantasy whatever.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It will be very interesting to see where morpheus and oculus rift takes gaming! Will it be a gimmick like move gaming and 3D tvs or be the next step? FF8 was my favorite but 7 is a close 2nd. Man I miss mind blowing JRPGs like those! I agree Skyrim also Fallout 3 were amazing! I still need to finish my Fallout NV Ultimate Edition.
    FF8 FANS REPRESENT!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The jump from standard def to HD was pretty huge for the last generation of consoles. But I'm pretty disappointed at how little improvement there is going from PS3 to PS4 and 360 to xbone. I'll eventually buy one of the new gen consoles when there are a lot of games I want to play on them, but right now I don't see much reason.
  • DoubleR_Boss
    Options
    FF8 FANS REPRESENT!!

@Crateria_ I want to add you as a pal just based on your luv of FF8! Man I have beat that game about 12 times throughthe years *Perfect Game*.

@ahamm002 I feel exactly like you. GSP "I am not impressed by their performance" and am in no rush to buy them. Maybe I will feel different in 2yrs.
  • daybehavior
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of VII either. Sure, it's a decent game, but I thought it was worse than all three SNES era FF games, and I may have preferred most of the games that came after it, as well. I found VII to be largely a rehash of VI without the personality and using ugly graphics.

When FFVII first came out I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess because like for most Americans, it introduced me to JRPGs. I replayed it last year and for the most part I agree it wasn't really that special aside from the nostalgia factor and the materia system. Oh and the music. Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean: The Second Story still held up in recent playthroughs so Im sure those are truly my top RPGs.

FFVI was great but I felt it was a bit too short. It just felt like it moved way too fast after you get to the World of Ruin. FF8 .... hmm I really, really hate Squall so that kind of ruined my enjoyment of it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Disagree! I freaking love the PS3, and I'm hardcore Nintendo.
  • daybehavior
    Options

Disagree! I freaking love the PS3, and I'm hardcore Nintendo.

Yeah maybe it should be corrected to

PS2 to PS3 was :-)

I'll admit the transition from SD to HD was pretty incredible but still you could feel the technology gap closing with each newer generation. It's like we're reaching the limits of how good games could really look. Im no tech wiz just an observation. Like for example I don't see how picture quality could get better than current HD. Yeah I know people said the same thing about VHS/DVD but really it seems this is the final frontier...like I don't know if the human eye even could process anything more HDer :P
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will be the last generation of consoles, especially considering the advancements in virtual reality technology and head gear in reason years. (Oculus Rift, Project Morpheus, and Google Glass) -IF- they can make it affordable enough, and get enough people on board to make games for them, I don't see why this wouldn't be where future consoles are headed.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Chrono Trigger and Star Ocean: The Second Story still held up in recent playthroughs so Im sure those are truly my top RPGs.

I have replayed Chrono Trigger at least a dozen times, and it never gets old. I love that game so much!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    they will not stop making consoles since games are getting bigger and longer and as disc sizes and graphics slowly increase.

Just not the huge jumps there use to be. If consoles go away it is because tablets and PCs can carry the same games and I just do not see that happening.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think so. Right now Consoles are going lag behind PC/Steam at a quicker pace. This Gen of consoles should of been out 2 years ago. Instead they got greedy and milked the ps3/360 for 2 extra years. Now Xbone/PS4 are in a terrible spot. PC Hardware is already ahead of it. When the PS3/360 came out you needed a High End PC to compare to the consoles on price. Right now you can make a PC with $500 that could compare to both consoles and play higher resolutions. Also 4K TV/Monitors are going to make a huge push in the next couple years. PC's right now can play 1440p & 4K games on the high-end video cards on good settings. The Xbone/PS4 have problems getting to run games at 1080p right now. 1080p/60FPS should be the standard for this gen consoles. Instead of we get titanfall @ 792p or Battlefield 4 / COD:G run on the xbone at 720p. Completely unacceptable for "next gen" hardware. With 4k getting a major push the xbone/ps4 could be short lived. I doubt you'll see 7 years like the last gen more like 5 years at most.

Likely consoles will get replaced by steaming devices next time around.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I like the Nintendo 3DS. :3 But yeah...I'm a Leaguer so...PC all the way.