Fitbit

Options
goodtf
goodtf Posts: 23 Member
Anyone out there riding while using their Fitbit? Had it on today (brand new) while riding , got unrealistic high numbers. Probably will not wear anymore when riding. I give lessons and walk continually during lessons....now THOSE numbers I will take!

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering how accurate they'd be for riding myself - it's one reason I decided not to buy one.
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like to use my Map my Walk app while riding, just so I can see where I am in the woods and on the back roads and trails. Other than thta, I try not to count riding as exercise. That way, whatever calories I burned are just extra "invisible" calories
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like to use my Map my Walk app while riding, just so I can see where I am in the woods and on the back roads and trails. Other than that, I try not to count riding as exercise. That way, whatever calories I burned are just extra "invisible" calories
  • baby_valiant
    baby_valiant Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I replied to you in Dressage Queens :) But yes have found a ridiculously high number while riding!
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit flex and I use the numbers it gives... I do a lot of groundwork, sometimes walking sometimes running and also the riding burns calories don't forget.
    Remember, it's not just your horse that's moving but you are also, posting trot, sitting trot, balancing etc... you were there for the ride so I count mine
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes it is pretty high BUT you actually get quite a lot of steps while at the barn - I'll find it usually is about 4000-6000 steps/hour depending on the ride, and keep that in mind when I count calories. :)
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Put it on pause during the ride and then record horse back riding in activities. It should give you a realistic value.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you do that, it subtracts it from the calories you burn via Fitbit. So, not the best idea, unless you "calculate" it then just consider those calories when you log.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I take mine off once I get on the horse (I have a flex) but I like to count my steps around the barn because I get ridiculous steps running back and forth! Been using it for over a year now.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR, and I wear it to ride. It seems pretty accurate! But it also does take my heart rate into consideration. I do think the steps are a bit inflated, since it picks up on the movement of the horse, but my calories burned during a ride always seem to be dead on with what MFP says I would burn. I love barn days! I burn so much just being there, walking, grooming, setting jumps, etc. Its like a free workout :smiley:
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    AK what is your hr like when riding? I have been curious about that.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I now have the Garmin Vivofit and wear it even when riding - yes, it counts my horse's steps, but as some others have noted, it's fairly accurate in overall calories burned, so I just don't count riding separately anymore.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have compared the calories my Fitbit gives me for riding to what online calculators say I should burn and have found the numbers pretty similar. Besides, if it gives me a few extra calories it can make up for when I'm doing Pilates-style workouts or anything upper body and it thinks I'm napping!