What's our 2014 horse related goals?

Options
Link2Life
Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
The difference between a dream and a goal is having a plan. What are your goals for 2014?

I've always dreamed about competing in distance riding so I put a plan in place last summer and I'm slowly going to reach my goal to compete in my first ride in May. I truly believe its not fair for me to condition my horse while leaving myself to eat anything and not get stronger, so I'm trying to do my part and lose weight, too.

Replies

• karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hope to have a 3 yo broke and able to ride for the summer. Would like the 4 yo learn collection, lateral bending and smoother transitions. Would really like to take a couple to the mountains for a trail ride. Get 9 yo to be 'push-button'. Hmmmm, gonna need a longer summer!
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Only two smaller short term goals for me...

My first goal is to get myself a decent riding bra as my current ones are now too big and saggy cups are not going to be a good look under summer tops!

My second short term goal is to get the mare to do a sustained working canter twice around our canter track, which is about 500m. She can be hard work in canter and I want to do it with core, seat and legs - no tickling with the whip! We've already worked up to once around. So I'm working on stamina for us both.
  • AlyAnnesBack
    Options
    right now its just to lose some weight so I don't feel so ashamed about getting on a horse. Its hard when I ride/work at a English facility with stick thin preteens everywhere. :/ to be more specific with riding, my back muscles have gotten really week since I usually don't hold a two point at the trot much anymore. I need to work on that and keep my thumbs on top! lol
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I want to get my old brain back, I used to be a pretty confident rider but after having to put my horse down last January I developed a mental block and just lost it all. I think I am ready to get back to my old self now.
  • AlyAnnesBack
    Options
    I want to get my old brain back, I used to be a pretty confident rider but after having to put my horse down last January I developed a mental block and just lost it all. I think I am ready to get back to my old self now.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(
  • Aprilsdanes
    Aprilsdanes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ^ That's always so hard, good luck to you! =)

My goal is to have my Appy colt going well. Sure, I've been riding him, but I want it to be like I can go out and hop on without doing the groundwork first. He's out on pasture right now and will stay for at least a month or two, so I might be having to revisit a lot of things before we head to the mountains this summer.

I'd like to lose the excess weight so I feel like I fit him better. Right now I just feel too large for him and it breaks my heart.

Maybe even attend a cattle sorting or gymkhana by the end of the year to just observe and get him around some commotion???
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to move my horse from her current facility to the new one (May 1st is my est. date).

Find a new coach.

Get my mare schooling first level by the end of the year.

And I guess get a dressage saddle, blegh.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If I got on one again it would be a big deal.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to get Jack relaxed and balanced enough not to fall in through the shoulder on the left rein.

Anything else - like our first "proper" jousting attempt - will be an added bonus!
  • BLLG
    BLLG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My horses would love it if they had 50 pound less to carry! Hoping to lose those 50 and become fit so that I can "carry my own weight" on trail rides.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    We tried long reining today and it was utterly undramatic - he had no problem with the lines flapping around his legs. So perhaps I'll be ambitious and try driving him as well by the end of the year!
  • amp5622
    amp5622 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im back after a 2 1/2 year hiatus from this site and this is LONG over-due! I should have never given up on myself but now I am determined to get back into shape. I recently moved to Buffalo, NY for a show groom position. I have been off the hunter/jumper circuit for a year now and am excited to get back on.

My goals for this year horse wise are to simply keep my 20 y/o in shape when I can, he is the love of my life and I want him to stay as he is now.

Fitness wise for me, I NEED to fit in regular size tall boots... I need to lose the weight to get out of my full size boots, its driving me nuts! I am only 5 feet tall but my calves are 15.5" around.. totally disproportionate to the rest of my body. I want my calves down an inch by the summer. Hopefully I will lose about 8-10 pounds and lose that inch around my calves!!!
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Summer Goal!! I need to get my 2000 lb 18hh Perch to learn some ground manners and confidence. He is a little herd-bound, and gets anxious alone. He is new to me, so we have a lot of trust to build up this Summer!
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wow lots of great goals,
    1. to maintain lessons with a natural horsemanship mentor - check :)
    2. to ride minimum once a week - working on it
    3. to lope my horse - i've struggled with fear issues due to lack of confidence in both of us.. I want him to want to lope with confidence and me to trust him when we finally agree it's a good idea
    4. to lose weight so I can mount my horse from both sides without pain and with a little more ease LOL
    5. to trailride with friends once a week or at least twice a month anyway
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have 1 major goal with my mare. That is to finish the competition season at Medium level dressage. I now have the right coach and her diet issues are managed well, so there shouldn't be anything stopping us!

The goal with the gelding is to get enough weight off of so that he stays sound. He's a bit of a lump and has weak stifles, so when he gets overweight he gets sore. It is a constant battle keeping him light enough but ensuring he is eating enough to maintain healthy gut function.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My goal would be to find homes for these animals, and getting out of horses entirely. The market is dead, we don't ride, breed or show anymore, and the horses, while beautiful, gentle, well bred and loved, are non the less a drain on our finances.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Indeed. Too bad I love them and bred most of what I have left. I don't know what the answer is, but it doesn't bode well, does it. I still have 18 horses and no where for them to go. Too few people understand Arabians, in a shrinking market that is not good.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    One of my goals was to do my first Hunter show since I was a kid - CHECK!

My next goal for 2014 is to get my left lead down. I've been riding (adult re-rider) for about a year and a half, but have only been comfortable at the canter for about 3 months. My left lead is terrible. And then after I get that down, I'd like to get my flying lead changes! I've done ONE so far and it was AMAZZZZZZZING.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, moved the mare face.

Now battling some lameness issues. About to blow an abscess up front and dealing with some negative plantar angles in the hind coffins... booooo.

But in more exciting news... I guess my new goal is to get my new horse started under saddle :)
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    New goal - nurse my sprained ankle so I can ride again VERRRRRRY soon :)