Low Supply or Clogged ducts?

Options
Lisa_Rhodes
Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
Hello ladies!

I'm a brand new mama to a 3 week old, love every minute of it (could use some sleep, but that's ok). The only frustrating part of everything is getting milk for my baby boy. Unfortunately, I had to have an emergency C-section, so I knew it would take a little longer for my milk to come in, but when it did, it's pretty much stayed the same amount. Ever since being in the hospital, he has not liked to nurse from my breast bc there wasn't enough milk (day 3) and it was a fight to try and get him to feed. He will do it (even now) if I push more. Bc of fighting w/ him to eat and hearing his stomach constantly growl, I have been supplementing formula until the milk supply is better (he will drink the milk, no issues there). However, no one really advised me while there that I should be nursing a certain amount of time or pumping a certain amount of time or how often to get my milk going.

Now, I've been pumping around the clock for a week so using a Medela pump (bigger breastshields). I'm trying to make sure I get enough food, water, been eating oatmeal, drinking Mother's Milk tea to try and increase it. My breasts feel full and heavy all the time, but I can only manage to get an ounce out altogether from each pumping session. Do you think it's just low supply or clogged ducts? They don't hurt at all, unless I wait too long to pump. I have tried heat compressions beforehand as well as massaging before and during pumping... the massage helps a little, but not much.

Do any of yall have any advice or have a clue what I'm talking about? I feel like I'm lost.

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    your baby will get SO much more than your pump EVER could. some boobs are just better pumpers than others. stick that baby on there and let him at it. make sure the latch is good, and let him nurse.
    it sounds like, if you are full, that you got your supply up, try stopping the formula and just nurse him every single time you even THINK he's hungry.

have you worked with a lactation consultant? worth their weight in gold i tell ya. i was separated by 75 miles from my son when he was born, and i had o pump from the get-go until we both went home and i could FINALLY put him on the breast. we had some issues to work through, but he's two and (if you ask him) he'll be nursing forever. i wouldnt have made it through without some help.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your new baby!! And ditto everything said above me by the previous poster.

The absolute best way to increase supply is to nurse nurse nurse. Remember that breastmilk works on supply/demand, so if you do need to supplement, be sure you are nursing first, and then pumping while baby is having either breastmilk or formula from a bottle. If you replace a feeding with a bottle, you aren't signaling your body to make milk at that time.

Do you feel stressed at all while nursing because you feel like he isn't getting enough? What signs does he give you? My son was extremely fussy at the breast, popping on and off constantly, and acting frustrated. It had absolutely nothing to do with the amount of milk I had - it had to do with his anatomy (tongue tie) and his inability to efficiently remove milk from the breast. This is something I needed a lactation consultant to help with. And you can't guage how much he's getting based off what you are pumping because looking at your sweet baby while nursing is polar opposite emotionally to a pump going whomp whomp whomppppp and sucking your nipples down plastic tubes.

Additionally, make sure you are eating enough calories and getting plenty of water. Others swear by oatmeal (old fashioned, not quick oats), lactation cookies with brewers yeast and flaxseed meal, gatorade, etc. My LC suggested I take Gaia Lactate Support (I got mine from amazon) because it contains fenugreek, marshamallow root, and a few other herbs to help increase breastmilk production.

Also, if you had clogged ducts, you would definitely know. It's very painful and hot and you can feel knots where it's clogged.

If you don't have a LC and have trouble finding one, PM me. Mine is wonderful and said she didn't mind answering questions on the phone from friends if they need help. It doesn't replace seeing someone in person, but it's better than nothing if you need some advice.

You are doing GREAT! It can be so overwhelming at first, but I can tell you looking back that it was 100% worth it. We're still nursing at almost 15 months and it's been tough at times, but it's SO worth it and you CAN and WILL make it past your obstacles!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Supplementing with formula will decrease your supply. I know it's really hard to trust your body, but if you want to get your milk supply up you need to nurse as often as baby wants, maybe even pump beyond that. Sometimes it feels like baby is not getting enough milk, but usually that is not the case. If he doesn't get enough milk, he will want to nurse again and again and again and these are all attempts at raising your milk supply. If you decide not to nurse him and give him formula instead, that's another opportunity you're missing to get your milk supply up. Honestly he could nurse all day long and that would be a positive thing. He's not going to do that forever, just until your milk supply goes up. Trust your body, trust your baby.

And yes, the baby can get out way more than the pump. If your breasts feel full, it seems like your supply might be good! Just need to keep putting baby to the breast. They learn that bottles are easier and get frustrated because milk takes longer to come out when nursing. It could be some slight nipple preference that you're seeing when he gets frustrated. Honestly, I would ditch the bottles and work on nursing right now. It might be a day or two of frustration for both of you, but cuddle up on the couch together, have your phone/remote/food near by and just try not to stress about it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'll second (or third) most, if not all, of what's been said, but to reiterate about the pump...

It's absolutely true that a baby is more efficient at extracting milk than the pump is. But aside from that, sometimes the pump either isn't fitting right or set right, and/or your body might just be like, "Pump? Nope, sorry. Not gonna happen."

I had supply issues with my first and nursed, pumped, and supplemented for three months before giving up, so I got to know pumps pretty well. I used my sister's Medela Pump-in-Style, then I rented a Medela Symphony from the hospital LC (plus bought bigger breast shields), then I bought my own Avent pump, which I also used this time with baby #2.

The Pump-in-Style had barely been used before I used it, but it was terrible (for me) compared to the hospital-grade Medela, which was as good as the Avent personal use one. Pumps are such a personal thing that it's tough to go by what someone else says about them, short of mechanical difficulties with the pump itself.

Anyway, it took some trial and error to find a pump that my body liked, and I used the same one this time around, initially with success. I was never a big pumper to start with, so honestly my pump has had very little use, but out of the blue I could hardly get anything unless I was squeezing milk out while pumping. That's tough to do! I'd barely get anything until I squeezed, and my boobs were full. I probably could have done just as well by manually expressing. The pump felt the same and seemed to be working just fine, so I'm pretty sure it was just me.

Point being, for no good reason my body just decided it didn't like the pump. Pumping wasn't necessary for me, so it wasn't worth it to try a different pump (especially because those cost $$$), so I don't really know if a different pump would have done the trick. So for you it could be that you and your pump aren't a good match, or it could be that your body isn't a fan of pumping.

Personally I would try manually expressing to see if that works for you (less clean-up!). If you're really feeling that full, you'd be surprised at how much you get.

Otherwise I'm guessing you have more than enough milk for your baby. With my first I definitely didn't have that "full boobs" feeling after the first week, but this time I EBFed and definitely had that full feeling at 3 weeks.

Edited for clarity
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your advice. I'm going to buy a nipple shield today to help get him back on the breast. He latches just fine, just ever since he got frustrated in the hospital of not getting enough bc it hadn't fully come in yet, he just doesnt care to go to it. I believe he can get enough now bc ifnInsqueeze, plenty comes out and when I see his mouth afterwards, there's plenty of milk (imo). Again, thank you!!:smile:
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your advice. I'm going to buy a nipple shield today to help get him back on the breast. He latches just fine, just ever since he got frustrated in the hospital of not getting enough bc it hadn't fully come in yet, he just doesnt care to go to it. I believe he can get enough now bc ifnInsqueeze, plenty comes out and when I see his mouth afterwards, there's plenty of milk (imo). Again, thank you!!:smile:

no no no dont get a shield!! you'll ust shoot yourself in the foot! just work with him. jiggle him, jostle him, express or pump a little bit before you put him on so the milk is already flowing, but a shield will just decrease the amount of stimulation the breast will recieve, and lower your milk supply and actually makes it harder to get him full on the breast later.

check this out:
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:breast-compression&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Please do not introduce a nipple shield unless absolutely necessary. If your son is latching correctly then no nipple shield is needed.

Check out the following websites for a ton of information on nursing and pumping:

www.breast-is-best.com (also, become a part of their FB group - it's very helpful)
    http://exclusivepumpers.com/
    www.kellymom.com

Your baby's tummy is small right now. The first time I pumped (less than 1 week pp) I remember getting less than 1/2 oz. Your supply will increase as baby nurses and demands more milk.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi! First, "NOOOOOO NOOOO NOOOO nipple shield." Trust.

I don't mean to shout at you, but like a previous poster said, you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I also had an emergency C-section and had to go back to the hospital afterwards because of complications from delivery. All-in-all, I spent over a week separated from my newborn son, and it seriously messed up his nursing.

By the time he was 6 weeks old, I was convinced I was either going to have to pump or use formula. Then I talked to a friend of mine who had a great breastfeeding relationship with her daughter. She told me she consulted 3 lactation consultants and that it was the third one who finally helped her.

Well, I called the third one. The day she came to my house, within maybe 10 minutes, she had fixed everything!!

I cannot stress to you enough that if you want to breastfeed, a lactation consultant can be your very best friend. If none of your friends have a recommendation, call the hospital where you gave birth or your pediatrician. They should have someone to recommend. Another way to go is to see if there is a La Leche League meet-up near you.

Finally, if you don't find the help you need with the first person you consult. Don't give up! Give it at least a couple of tries.

I know I was so frustrated when my son was just a few weeks old. I cried about it all the time, and so often wanted to say, "I GIVE UP!" But I am really so glad that I did not.

It does get better. And it will get better for you.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    I litterally LOLed when I read the replies to my nipple shield comment only bc it was like everyone was screaming NOOOOOO :laugh:

I forgot to mention, my SIL is a lactation consultant and she has been a huge help and support, giving me tips, what to do, not to do. I actually asked her about the nipple shield before I read the comments and she said to still try nursing the baby before I even try the shield, so I did not buy it. Even though she has been helping me, I wanted to know others opinions through their experience of this issue. I did try to nurse him last night and once today... not a huge success, but he did suck when he wanted... I pumped afterwards and got a tad more than usual, so I'm hoping it's stimulating... I won't give up.

Y'all are awesome :happy:
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    One more thing: I would super-recommend not pumping right now. And avoid doing scheduled feedings, which is something my son's baby-nurse told me to do, but I think contributed to messing him up when it came to nursing. The Lactation Consultant who helped me basically said to nurse constantly when you are trying to get breastfeeding to work in the beginning. I mean, crack that boob out ALL. THE. TIME. LC came to my house on a Friday, and I basically remember just nursing straight through that weekend, basically taking breaks to go to the bathroom and eat. The key is that your son should not get used to the bottle, but expect all comfort/nourishment to come from you. You can definitely scale back soon (like no more than a week of the constant nursing), but I really do believe this helped me. Just crack out your iPad, smartphone, or Kindle, and prepare to do a lot of reading/catching up on social media while your little one nurses. Or you could even watch TV. At that age, your baby shouldn't be distracted by it. (I had a friend who went to the movies with her daughter and just watched movies all day while nursing her there. Lol. I was too scared to try it when my son was so small, but now I sort of wish I had!)

Oh, and one more "one more thing": if you do give your son a bottle, make sure you are using the slowest flow nipple possible. If they get used to getting it really easy from the bottle, then they don't want to work as hard to get it from you.