Going raw asap!

Options
YukiValentine
YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
Need help and advice! How much calories/carbs/sugars should I expect?
Planning on doing 80% raw and 20% "normal" vegan?
But for the next 2 weeks to a month I'm possibly going full raw!
Any help would be great!

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Why are you going raw? with all do respect don't you struggle to get in all your calories as is? If you go raw you're going to need to make sure you're eating A LOT more than you already are.
  • Rusty612
    Rusty612 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with it, really.
    People go raw for lots of different reasons, but it's not inherently healthier than just being vegan. Cooking some foods releases nutrients no accessible in a raw state, and vice versa. Eating some cooked and some raw is probably a better balance, but I have been 100% raw in the past.
    Getting rid of starchy carbs is one way to feel amazing. Leaving behind breads and pastas and potatoes was a good move for me. However, one must be vigilant with their nutrition.

Sooo - here's my raw "advice" if that's what you're going to do.

Watch your sugar (you can eat a day's worth of sugar in half a meal if you're making a lot of smoothies)
    Check out some raw vegan recipe blogs (like This Rawsome Vegan Life)
    Don't feel like you have to buy all the maca, goji, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp and raw nuts in the word (seriously - so expensive)
    Ease into it - be raw until 5pm or something and see how that feels

I own an Excalibur dehydrator, a Vitamix blender and a vegetable spiralizer. The cheapest was the spiralizer, but it can turn a zucchini into pasta and that's a magic thing when you get bored of salads and smoothies. The other two pieces of equipment were kinda super expensive and I waited years to purchase them. It's okay to use a regular blender to make blender recipes - you just won't necessarily get the same smoothness, but it's okay!

Ani Phyo is a nice raw vegan author with easy to follow recipes - you can probably find her books at your library.

Good luck!
  • YukiValentine
    YukiValentine Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I have a raw cookbook and it told me to go slowly but how slowly should I go? I already eat salads and fruits a lot.
    I am going to try to replace a meal with fruits or a salad to start out though. (maybe both)
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Watch your sugar (you can eat a day's worth of sugar in half a meal if you're making a lot of smoothies)
    Check out some raw vegan recipe blogs (like This Rawsome Vegan Life)
    Don't feel like you have to buy all the maca, goji, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp and raw nuts in the word (seriously - so expensive)
    Ease into it - be raw until 5pm or something and see how that feels

Something to think about. I eat raw 95% of the time with lots and lots of smoothies. I'm also diabetic. The sugar in fruits is fructose which is a simple sugar. As long as I keep my fat intake around 10% or lower, it has no effect on my Blood Glucose Levels. Since going raw, 98% of my BGL have been between 70 and 100, which is astounding. The few occasions I don't eat raw, my BGL has jumped up to 110 up to 140 and that is with eating complex carbs. Still safe, but over 140 for a diabetic is not recommended. Before going vegan and raw, my BGL were 220 to 340. Bad. That's borderline, when they start to consider adding insulin shots to the medications.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I follow 80/10/10 I highly recommend getting the book. I eat unlimited calories from fruits and tender leafy greens(occasional cooked startches when fruit is low/underripe). I run the vibrantly raw group on here if you need some help transitioning or looking for more information on the lifestyle.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I follow 80/10/10 I highly recommend getting the book. I eat unlimited calories from fruits and tender leafy greens(occasional cooked startches when fruit is low/underripe). I run the vibrantly raw group on here if you need some help transitioning or looking for more information on the lifestyle.
    I was just about to say the same thing. I highly recommend the book 80/10/10 Diet by Doug Graham!! You can find it online for free, if you don't want to buy it.