Pregnant

Options
jones092508
jones092508 Posts: 75 Member
I skimmed through and didn't see an EXACT post for this.

I just found out this past Thursday I'm pregnant with #3! I'm about two months strong into clean eating, and working out! Lost over 10 pounds. I've been on MFP since I had my son last June! (Yes, pregnant almost 2 years in a row, haha!) Anyways...

I want to keep eating healthy and doing my cardio throughout this pregnancy. I also plan to keep logging daily. I will be talking to my OBGYN at my first appointment the 22nd, to have all of this okay'd! I will also be asking about a healthy calorie intake for myself while pregnant.

Have any of you kept working out and everything during your pregnancy? What workouts did you do? What did you do? Did you maintain, gain, lose?

I would think it would be a bad thing to lose while pregnant, as long as the baby is healthy and getting the correct nutrients! Correct? Or, tips. I just don't want to fall out of habit, and want to have a healthy pregnancy!

Replies

• Jessicalg1981
    Jessicalg1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations!!! Secondly, I'm not a doctor and of course your OB should have the final say on this but I would say keep working out but do low impact stuff like walking or the elliptical. Ask your OB about a calorie goal and DON'T go under it but keep eating clean. I know giving into cravings while pregnant is like a drug but stay strong! Good luck!! I sincerely hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!! I LOVE me some babies!!!
  • vanimelda
    vanimelda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes first off congrats so exciting. Second awesome job on eating clean for so long already! I'm also pregnant with #4! ive gotten back on the weight loss journey since falling off of it when I had #3. My OB was excited that I was doing this. What they have told me is as long as I am eating right and walking or exercising to what I can do comfortably im ok. and for what they said for calories ect was do focus on losing weight but when your eating right and moving you will naturally loose some. So, so far I have been walking and trying to be careful about what I eat and staying as close to the recommended cals that mfp says and so far my drs are happy and do am I.

This is only what was told to me by my ob your ob may say differently for you. good luck and happy healthy pregnancy
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Had my daughter five months ago. She was my fifth child and I had started my weightloss journey two months beforehand. I was obese, that is 207lbs at 5ft 5". I walked five days a week and continued to do Zumba once a week and swim 30-50 laps a week until I was about 25 weeks. After that point I swam when possible, but still walked most days. I ate at maintenance and always ate at least half of my exercise calories. I also took a good pregnancy multivitamin. I naturally continued to lose weight until I hit 20 weeks, then as I slowed down and baby started to grow I put on 15lbs by 40 weeks. I ended the pregnancy around the same weight as I had started it and after birth my weight was a new low for me. I was soooo much healthier during that pregnancy than the one before, it was near perfect. I recovered from labour over about three weeks, but was back walking after 8 days.

I don't recommend eating below maintenance or exercising to the extreme, but as long as you're healthy and sensible there's no reason to stop exercising. Just don't push yourself and know your limits. Pregnancy is not the time for setting new records, but being fit for labour is important. Don't attempt anything new and vigorous, but if you're already used to aerobics or running or swimming just continue to do it for as long as you're comfortable.

As for the eating bit, just try and avoid processed foods as much as possible. Eat right and whatever you put on, because you will and must gain for the baby, will fall off after birth. If you eat a lot of rubbish you'll have a much harder time losing it after. You will have days where you don't feel like eating and days when you think you'll starve to death if you don't keep eating! Both are fine and good and natural. Go with it, listen to your body, but eat healthy.

At your appointment mention that you've been changing your lifestyle to a healthier one and that you've been exercising and losing weight while getting fit and you'll probably find you have a lot of support if it's a modern practice. Some more traditional doctors and midwives still think mothers should be molly-coddled and wrapped in cotton wool, but it's really not necessary in this day and age. Women have a much easier time these days than 50 or 100 years ago. We have washers and dryers and dishwashers now that do most of the hard work for us, hence us having to now take time to exercise. Just be sensible and everything will be just fine and you may want to join the Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant Group. Congratulations!
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The recommendation on working out if you have a normal pregnancy is to do whatever you did before becoming pregnant and not try to improve. Stop at any sign of pain or discomfort. Only you know what you can do, I was only able to walk and do minimal exercise without becoming uncomfortable, a friend did crossfit til the very end and was back at it 3weeks PP. The goal is to maintain what you were doing as long as it is comfortable to do!
  • VanessaAnahi28
    VanessaAnahi28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can still be healthy while pregnant!
  • jones092508
    jones092508 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies AND all of the WONDERFUL tips and comments! It was a shocker finding out I was pregnant! I want to stay as healthy as possible and not lose the work I've done! I understand gaining is important though! My first appointment is the 22nd, but I'm switching OBGYN's this time so once I call tomorrow hopefully it will be sooner! I've been having a LOT of back pain the past couple of weeks and it seems to be getting worse. As of now I'm LAYING off my bike, seeing as it's a older one and has NO back support whatsoever.

I plan on talking to my OBGYN as soon as I get in!

Thanks again! & CONGRATS on your pregnancy hun!
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just found out I am pregnant too!!

Still trying to eat as clean as possible. We mostly eat Salads during the week and then splurge here and there on the weekends.
    I am planning on continuing to work out and eat as healthy as possible for this baby. the 1st one I gained 50 pounds!!
    Hoping to keep this right at about 20.

Best of luck!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your OB will be able to tell you what is appropriate for you. Every woman is different.

For me, I had the green light to be active and eat lower carb and lower calorie during both of my pregnancies. With both pregnancies, I weighed less post-delivery than I did at conception, meaning that I actually lost (my) weight during the pregnancy, while obviously adding on the normal pregnancy weight. Considering that I was overweight while pregnant, the MD had no problem with that, but obviously kept an eye on things.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Most exercise is fine during a complication free pregnancy. Obivously if anything arises the rules will be different but you would discuss that with your doctor. Of course, as always, listen to your body. If you are doing something you shouldn't you'll probably know about it!

If you've got an iphone there an app called mumafit which is a few dollars. If you don't have an iphone there's a matching website and ebooks. both the ebooks and the app are about exercising while pregnant and after birth, and the plans change with each trimester. I didn't know about it when I was pregnant, so haven't really looked to much into it, but if I have another baby I will.

Being fit will make your pregnancy and labour much easier, so keep with it. Just don't aim to lose weight. There's no reason to (unless you are very very obese)