Do you track calories?

Options
mandabrett
mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
I am paleo with some heavy cream in my coffee. No other dairy or offending foods. I feel like I am eating a lot. My gym recommended zone/paleo. That leaves me starving. I can not live on 1200-1300 calories per day. I typically end up somewhere between 1500-1800 calories with 70-80 g carbs. I am new to crossfit, and it am not sure about how to eat quite yet. Paleo is a must and the way I have been eating for over a year. I just don't know how much is too much. I had heard somewhere a minimum in 1800 even on non workout days. What do you guys think? I do have fat loss goals in addition to being decent at workouts.

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure. I'm kind of of upset with my coaches for trying to push zone/paleo on me when I think I am getting good results with Eat to Perform (good fat loss, don't feel restricted, good performance). I should say that one of my coaches got me into CF and is a (master's) Games athlete I think he wants me to do just what he does so it's more personal than anything. I would figure out your BMR and your TDEE and go from there. I am responding because I want to follow this discussion.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a must

Why do you say this?

I agree with Kelly, figure out your BMR and TDEE and do what you think is right for you and your diet and your goals.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You need to find out what works for you and do that, regardless of what other people tell you. I honestly don't think 1500 calories is enough though, especially on training days. Like Kelly above, I also follow Eat to Perform which tracks macros rather than calories, but I eat between 1900 and 2500 calories, depending on if it's rest or training day. I do 3-4 double training days per week and eat more on those days, but on rest days I still eat minimum 1800 calories. I cycle carbs around training, don't care about calories.
    I personally don't think strict paleo is necessary or wise unless it's for health reasons (as in allergies, intolerances, etc) just because I don't think people should cut out entire food groups just coz it's the done thing. I also don't think 70-80g carbs is anywhere near enough to support crossfit, but again you need to do what works for you...
  • mandabrett
    Options
    Paleo is a must

Why do you say this?

I have digestive issues and skin issues that are addressed with the diet. Otherwise I would be all about rice and breakfast cereal. My body throws a huge temper tantrum.:(
  • mandabrett
    Options
    Sorry my response is at the bottom of the quote box.

Doesn't crossfit endorse zone? If so that would explain why they mention it.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well it makes sense for you to stick to it for dietary reasons, perhaps just play around with the calorie counts or macros so you are not starving yourself or making yourself sick, I am sure that it won't be the worst thing if you go a little over. Honestly though as I don't follow the diet I am not sure, there is a group for Paleo eaters on here, perhaps ask the question there?
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I Crossfit, do zone/Paleo and also count calories. I eat around 1600-1700 calories a day regardless of if it's a workout day or not, but that's because I had my RMR tested and it was 2150 cals (wrecked from many years of low calorie dieting and a 'reset' didn't work). So yeah, eating as much as some of the others here say would not work for me, so you definitely just have to figure out and go with what works for you.

That said, this amount of calories is pretty low and hard to keep in check throughout the day, so I'm thinking about looking into IF as well...
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    How have you guys even been able to track CrossFit calories?
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How have you guys even been able to track CrossFit calories?

I don't track CrossFit calories explicitly. When I had my RMR tested, the operator told me that my consistent exercise (CF 3x/week) would already be taken into account in the value it returned (so 2150 calories for maintenance includes the calories burned at CF 3x/week). I just subtract 500/day from my RMR (a little more than 20% since I'm obese) and eat to that daily.

Again, different strokes for different folks. If I could eat more, I definitely would - but my metabolism is much slower than it should be for someone my age/weight, so I do what I have to...
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My coaches have not once told me what/how I should eat. I know they've done Paleo challenges at the box before but never force anything. I cut out gluten & dairy for the most part because I have PCOS and it helps with those symptoms & I notice less bloating & clearer skin. Everyone reacts to calorie amounts differently so just play around and figure out what makes you & your body happy! I eat 2,060 a day (TDEE - 20%) but I'm 6 foot tall and work out 6 days a week