Juicing and Green Smoothies

Options
Hey peeps! I just signed the paperwork for the sleeve surgery and am just waiting now for them to call me with a date.
And of course while I wait, I worry...and fret...and ponder...and stew...
I'm trying to figure out a meal plan for each stage of recovery and am wondering...for those who juice and or have green smoothies, at what point did you incorporate them into your meal plan, and does everyone think juicing/green smoothies are a good idea?
Yay or nay?
I lost a ton of weight (well not quite a ton, more like 100 pounds) several years ago, and juicing/green smoothies was a habit that I picked up and really loved. I'd like to know if you folks think it's good to have when I'm sleeved?
Thanks
*hugs*

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    After you have sleeve surgery, the mainstay of your diet will be protein. It's hard to get in anything above and beyond that, especially in the beginning. With the sleeve restricting your intake, you will have to make careful food and nutrition choices and they will all have to steer towards protein first. Personally I have a hard time seeing juicing as being a good fit for a sleever, just from the perspective of what your intake capacity will actually be.
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    I would totally agree that juicing is not very VSG friendly. I rarely eat fruit now and I am 11 months out next week. When I do have fruit it is a small portion of low glycemic fruit such as raspberries, blueberries or strawberries. By small, early on meant adding a couple frozen pieces to a greek yogurt protein shake and now I will have a 1/2 cup once in a while on it's own or mixed in with yogurt or fibre cereal.

I think the juicing/green smoothie thing is quite interesting and certainly enjoyed watching that Aussie's documentary on losing all his weight and getting others to try it (the name escapes me right now sorry).

But protein is what is going to fuel you post VSG! ;-)
  • Urbanlamb
    Urbanlamb Posts: 17
    Options
    Hmmm....yes I know about the protein thing and was thinking of adding protein powder to them to make sort of super smoothies (I imagine a protein shake with a little red cape, y'know....superrrrrr proteinnnnnn!)
    See the reason why I'm looking into this is that I'm also in the midst of dealing with bladder cancer. The goal is to lose enough weight so that I'll have an easier time dealing with things when the bladder is removed 2 or 3 years down the road. This type of cancer has like eighty percent chance of re-occurring, and can spread to the female organs if we're not careful.
    I just want to keep this cancer beast at bay as much as I can while I lose the weight. We're doing something called BCG treatments, and my oncologist/urologist is checking me for tumors every three months (if they pop up, he'll remove them lickety split before they become muscle invasive).
    So anyhoo...yes...protein veddy important. But in my eyes, high antioxidant foods veddy important too. I need to figure out how to do both.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear that you are dealing with cancer. You have to do what is best for your health. I think maybe you should talk to your oncologist, surgeon, and your surgeon's nutritionist to see if juicing and smoothing will be something you could do at some point after sleeve surgery. Even adding protein to smoothies might still make them to much volume for your new stomach. Also, the sugar levels in some juices might not be suitable for the sleeve. If juicing is really important to you, please, please, please research before you commit to having the surgery. I wish you all the best, and my thoughts and prayers go out to you for improved health!
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    Wow..I see your need for the antioxidants totally. Sorry that you are having to deal with cancer but I really commend you for looking into every alternative for help.

I agree with Dale that I would check into it with your bariatric surgeon. I'd make sure I had a great surgeon as best you can! :-)

I would think the veggies would be okay...it would be a lot of fruit that would cause concern.

Dr. Alvarez has a podcast on Monday nights called Obesity Chat. You can find a link or information about it at his website endobariatrics.com

He takes questions and answers them. I listen to his podcasts often.

All the best of luck to you!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The big issue is not going over the 6-8 g of sugar that would precipitate gastric dumping (very unpleasant). Veggies and plain Greek yogurt would probably be ok. But as for fruit, I agree with the other poster. You could do 1c of raspberries or 1/2c of blueberries. These are low glycemic fruits, but I don't really know any other readily available low glycemic fruits
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every day, I am 2 years out and feel great. Heres what I throw in my vitamix......
    Almond milk
    Protein powder
    Kale or spinach
    Berries, blue or straw
    Sometimes powdered peanut butter

So a fruit- berries, whole apple or pineapple
    Protein flavor of choice
    A green leafy
    An extra....powdered peanut butter, FF/SF pudding mix (think cheesecake with berries yum), frozen banana, cinnamon, chia
    And almond milk

I think its totally acceptable, there are no rules here, EVERY body is different. I tend to eat low carb, high protein, and 1100 cals a day. That is what works for me.