can I be as successful?????

Options
I sit hear and read all these wonderful success stories and Im so happy for everyone. I wonder though if i can be so successful too? I mean I believe I can, but there is that small voice in my head that questions the long term. I see people losing so much weight and I can only help to think its because they were sleeved. anyone else doubt themselves beforehand? i guess Im doubting myself because my weight has been the 1 thing I couldnt conquer on my own all my life.

Replies

• capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    diddo to all you said.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand how you feel. I was up to 382 lbs before I started the process at my surgeon's office. I think we get to a point where we feel like surgery is a last resort, and then we wonder, if I fail at the last resort, then what? Well, for me, I had to stop questioning myself and start believing in myself. I was ready to not fail, and I made the commitment to myself to not fail. Once I started believing in myself, I started seeing successes. I was able to lose 70 lbs on my own prior to surgery, and I have lost almost another 80 since. I had this surgery for me, my health, my quality of life, and also for my loved ones. The big picture can be overwhelming, but maybe if you approach the process in smaller steps, it could help. Set mini-goals, rather than huge goals, and the successes will be easier to see. You can totally do this!!
  • Mbdb131
    Mbdb131 Posts: 13
    Options
    so since you lost 70 prior to surgery do you ever wonder if you could have continued and kept losing the rest without the operation? just curious? how has the weightloss process been different after surgery than before? do you find it easier to stay focused on the healthy eating options? if so why? is it because your stomach is smaller? is it because you have lost a great amount of weight already therefore you now have hope and something to keep striving for?
    I can totally understand how you feel. I was up to 382 lbs before I started the process at my surgeon's office. I think we get to a point where we feel like surgery is a last resort, and then we wonder, if I fail at the last resort, then what? Well, for me, I had to stop questioning myself and start believing in myself. I was ready to not fail, and I made the commitment to myself to not fail. Once I started believing in myself, I started seeing successes. I was able to lose 70 lbs on my own prior to surgery, and I have lost almost another 80 since. I had this surgery for me, my health, my quality of life, and also for my loved ones. The big picture can be overwhelming, but maybe if you approach the process in smaller steps, it could help. Set mini-goals, rather than huge goals, and the successes will be easier to see. You can totally do this!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    so since you lost 70 prior to surgery do you ever wonder if you could have continued and kept losing the rest without the operation? just curious? how has the weightloss process been different after surgery than before? do you find it easier to stay focused on the healthy eating options? if so why? is it because your stomach is smaller? is it because you have lost a great amount of weight already therefore you now have hope and something to keep striving for?

I did ask myself if I thought I could continue to lose weight on my own since I lost 70lbs before surgery. My answer to myself was "Maybe". That was not good enough. I had lost and gained probably hundreds of pounds in my lifetime and I was ready to make permanent changes. The process since surgery, for me personally, has not been terribly different than before, besides the recovery phases and transitioning back to food. I had already been practicing making good choices, I had already been exercising. I did have to learn to eat smaller portions, eat more slowly, and not drink with meals. That hasn't been difficult for me, it was just something I had to do. The biggest difference is, this tool I have now has helped me see results faster than I would on my own, which gives me momentum, which gives me motivation. I stay focused because this is the path I chose to take, and I am committed to that. I have hope because I feel like I have finally taken control of my situation and I had been out of control for so long.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If your all for the life change then YES. My best advice, a someone 1.5 years out, is to be realistic with your goal(s) and remember that the hard work is not the loss but the maintenance.
  • itsdreday
    itsdreday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did ask myself if I thought I could continue to lose weight on my own since I lost 70lbs before surgery. My answer to myself was "Maybe". That was not good enough.

This was my rationale too. Surgery is shown to be the best chance of long-term success and after many previous failed attempts it was the necessary step. It's been very successful for me so far.
  • suzee279
    suzee279 Posts: 58
    Options
    I think this is a completely valid question. I know for myself it had become near impossible to lose any weight and when I did manage to, it came back with an additonal 15 or 20 lbs. I had pretty much given up on trying because I just felt I could no longer afford the rubber band rebound. I did start to consider this as being the most reasonable alternative when other health issues became more aggressive on top of everything else. I ended up coming to the conclusion that I have not been able to do this permanently before... why would I think that suddenly it would happen now?

I am almost 15 months out from the surgery. Began at 327 lbs and lost 25 prior to surgery. Since then I have lost an additional 107. The surgery has allowed my body to 'reset; and I have been able to lose weight again. The lifestyle changes are so reasonable that it is not difficult to see being able to do this for the rest of my life. The health issues are so much better.

It most definately was worth doing. And this was not something I ever would have been able to accomplish without this tool. Yes, you can do this...and yes you can be as successful as you want to be.

Suz