Hair is so thin anymore

Options
KittiePerry
KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
I know my hair is probably thinning a lot due to my PCOS, my question is, when I stat losing weight will it grow back and become healthy again. I am really starting to hate looking in the mirror at my hair because of how thin it is getting. I am starting to see a lot of my scalp and don't like taking many pictures unless my hair is combed over some to hide it.

Will I have to go on medication to make it get healthier again or should it get better on its own? I've lost 13 pounds so far and I know I have a long way to go before I'm a healthy weight for my age/height. I'm just worried I'll be stuck with my hair like this forever and I'm only 21...

Replies

• KittiePerry
    Options
    Hello? =O
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about the hair regrowth so others might be able to advise you more on that. But I have heard of people taking a med called Spiro? I think it has a longer name but it is supposed to help with hair growth on your head and less hair elsewhere. Also taking Biotin ive heard has helped. And yes, losing weight and balancing your diet, including watching your carb counts closely, has been known to help balance the hormones that cause the hair loss.

Hopefully others will have more experience than I do in this area. but wanted to let you know that I read your post :)
  • KittiePerry
    Options
    Thank you for replying ^___^
    I'll just have to hope for the best, after I lose weight if nothing changes I'll ask my doctor.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Try decreasing your carb intake and increasing your fats some, and eat more whole foods (and favor fresh or frozen veggies over canned). You're eating a ton of carbs and processed foods, both of which don't really work well with PCOS usually. Fat is not evil, and is required by the body to properly balance our hormones. Doing that will probably go quite a ways in helping with the hair issues, since fat stimulates biotin production, and allows the body to better absorb and use a number of vitamins and minerals that are important for hair growth.

More whole foods means more of the vitamins and minerals in a way that the body is built to absorb and use (the fortification done to most processed foods is rather inferior in terms of absorption and bioavailability). Fresh and frozen vegetables retain more nutrients than their canned counterparts, too. It can also mean less exposure to endocrine disruptors, such as BPA in the can linings of canned goods and soy in most processed foods.

Also, calories don't have to be your enemy, either. You shouldn't have to go down to 1,200, even at your goal weight, and eating 2,000 or even more isn't a bad thing if your activity level supports it. By all means, eat enough to stay in a deficit, but don't go lower than you have to if you can at all help it. It's not a fun thing to have to do. Instead of focusing so much on a calorie intake number, focus instead on getting the nutrients you need, because while a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss, nutrients are required for health, and very often, especially for those of us with PCOS, you can't have weight loss without health (barring completely starving yourself), and health does not necessarily come from weight loss alone (especially in our cases, where our weight is often a symptom of the underlying issues, not the cause).
  • tinapi96
    tinapi96 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Spironolactone is the drug the normally prescribe for the hair loss. I had no success with it except that all of my body hair fell out, too, which is both a blessing and a curse.

I have lost so much hair that I shave it off and wear wigs now. It was the single, greatest thing I have ever done for my own self esteem. Granted, I am much older than you.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Biotin shampoo helps a lot! I notice that stress makes mine worse as well as eating a lot of junk back to back. I'm 28 so hopefully not too bald in the near future. Last hair apt I found some powder stuff from stylist that you shake on your scalp and massage in to give your roots a boost. it works!!!! Also make sure your not pulling hair too tight in pony tails it tends to break it more. I've swapped ties to clips which seems to help. All in all Its just a learning as you go thing. Somedays I swear you can see my bald spot other days not so much! Good luck~
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Saw Palmetto could help you. It's usually meant for men but since us women have a lot of male hormones which cause many of our issues such as facial hair, acne and hair loss Saw Palmetto is said to help us as well. I've started taking it to help with acne after reading many women give it high reviews for helping their acne due to PCOS. My husband is taking it to help with his thinning hair as it blocks DHT and DHT is the cause for men's hair to fall out and thin. .

He and I are also taking hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil is high in GLA which helps to regulate hormones and blocks DHT. GLA is also supposed to help prevent hair loss and encourage regrowth. Usually Evening Primrose Oil or Borage oil is suggested however hemp seed oil has way more GLA. 4tablespoons of EPO has 240mg of GLA, 3tablespoons of Borage oil has 240mg of GLA and 2 teaspoons of hemp seed oil has 300 mg of GLA.

There are a few other things I've started my husband on to help with his thinning hair which he's taking Biotin , MSM and Bamboo Extract. All which contribute to healthy skin and hair growth. He's also using Avalon Organic's Biotin shampoo , Eqyss Premier Cream Rinse and Eqyss Megatek Equine Rebuilder.

I know it seems nuts to use a conditioner made for horses but Eqyss is the sister company of Ovation Hair company which has had great reviews for hair regrowth but Eqyss is cheaper and easier to find. You also would need to cut the Rebuilder down by about half with an oil like castor oil which makes it last even longer.

Reviews for Eqyss has been great to show hair regrowth including one lady who lost all her hair due to breast cancer.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Saw Palmetto could help you. It's usually meant for men but since us women have a lot of male hormones which cause many of our issues such as facial hair, acne and hair loss Saw Palmetto is said to help us as well. I've started taking it to help with acne after reading many women give it high reviews for helping their acne due to PCOS. My husband is taking it to help with his thinning hair as it blocks DHT and DHT is the cause for men's hair to fall out and thin. .

He and I are also taking hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil is high in GLA which helps to regulate hormones and blocks DHT. GLA is also supposed to help prevent hair loss and encourage regrowth. Usually Evening Primrose Oil or Borage oil is suggested however hemp seed oil has way more GLA. 4tablespoons of EPO has 240mg of GLA, 3tablespoons of Borage oil has 240mg of GLA and 2 teaspoons of hemp seed oil has 300 mg of GLA.

There are a few other things I've started my husband on to help with his thinning hair which he's taking Biotin , MSM and Bamboo Extract. All which contribute to healthy skin and hair growth. He's also using Avalon Organic's Biotin shampoo , Eqyss Premier Cream Rinse and Eqyss Megatek Equine Rebuilder.

I know it seems nuts to use a conditioner made for horses but Eqyss is the sister company of Ovation Hair company which has had great reviews for hair regrowth but Eqyss is cheaper and easier to find. You also would need to cut the Rebuilder down by about half with an oil like castor oil which makes it last even longer.

Reviews for Eqyss has been great to show hair regrowth including one lady who lost all her hair due to breast cancer.

This reminds me - you can also make your own shampoo and other hair products, or just work some of the oil directly into your scalp and hair. I love this recipe - http://wellnessmama.com/3701/how-to-make-natural-shampoo/ - and I think you might be able to add in some hemp oil and/or start with something like Dr. Bronner's hemp castille soap, which is made with hemp oil.
  • RenaTX
    Options

This reminds me - you can also make your own shampoo and other hair products, or just work some of the oil directly into your scalp and hair. I love this recipe - http://wellnessmama.com/3701/how-to-make-natural-shampoo/ - and I think you might be able to add in some hemp oil and/or start with something like Dr. Bronner's hemp castille soap, which is made with hemp oil.

I really wonder if using the oil has the same DHT blocking affects as taking internally would. The Avalon Biotin shampoo I have my hubby using has Biotin and saw palmetto but I really don't know if by using these supplments externally if it helps or not. I probably should have cut the Eqyss Megatek with Hemp Oil rather than Castor but Castor is supposed to help with hair regrowth and Hemp oil needs to be kept in the fridge to preserve the omega oils.

With all the stuff I'm having hubby do for his thinning hair he may not mind just one more thing lol.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I really wonder if using the oil has the same DHT blocking affects as taking internally would. The Avalon Biotin shampoo I have my hubby using has Biotin and saw palmetto but I really don't know if by using these supplments externally if it helps or not. I probably should have cut the Eqyss Megatek with Hemp Oil rather than Castor but Castor is supposed to help with hair regrowth and Hemp oil needs to be kept in the fridge to preserve the omega oils.

With all the stuff I'm having hubby do for his thinning hair he may not mind just one more thing lol.

It might depend on the specific item, but I know a lot of what we come into contact with can absorb into our bodies through our skin. Coconut oil is one of them, I know that, and I would assume most other oils would, too. I would think at least some of it would absorb into the scalp (where it would probably be of more direct effect than oral supplements, I would think).

I mean, after all, Rogain is used topically. :tongue:
  • RenaTX
    Options
    Very good point.
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!! This is probably the MOST frustrating part of PCOS aside from the weight issues. I used to have amazing lush naturally red wavy hair and it seems like over the course of a 6 month period, I lost about half of it. The strange thing is that I noticed it on some level, but I think I just blew it off as a stress thing since I was in the middle of a hard time. Then I got a comment from a coworker that my scalp 'was always showing' and my room mate mentioned something about how white my scalp was through my hair, and I started thinking oh crap...wasn't that one of the PCOS symptoms I'd read about?

I take 2 capsule of Omega 3 fatty acid (fish oil) daily and recently started taking one biotin capsule daily at the advice of my fave salon person. He said you could even open up the biotin capsule and form a paste with your conditioner to treat your hair...I don't know how this would actually help, but I take it orally.

Aside from that, I now skip days between washes (days I don't work out) and that's a good way to prevent what hair I do have from becoming damaged and falling out even more. I've noticed a difference somewhat - my hair is slightly thicker and much shinier, but I still do the mirror check every day with the back of my head with some hairspray and a comb to cover up any visible scalp.

I know my hair is probably thinning a lot due to my PCOS, my question is, when I stat losing weight will it grow back and become healthy again. I am really starting to hate looking in the mirror at my hair because of how thin it is getting. I am starting to see a lot of my scalp and don't like taking many pictures unless my hair is combed over some to hide it.

Will I have to go on medication to make it get healthier again or should it get better on its own? I've lost 13 pounds so far and I know I have a long way to go before I'm a healthy weight for my age/height. I'm just worried I'll be stuck with my hair like this forever and I'm only 21...