Too much weight loss?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm curious how many pounds a day you were loosing after surgery. I'm loosing at a rate if 2-3 lbs a day. Is that too much? I'm really worried about loose skin and really didn't expect such a big daily weight loss.

Replies

• merobles827
    Options
    From everything I read and everyone I talked to you should be only losing 2-3 lbs a day for the first week or two. After that when you start introducing foods and higher calorie intake it should start slowing down. Enjoy the lbs shedding off for now. Weight training is the way to avoid loose skin. Soon as I'm able to lift weights again I'm going to be at the gym.
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Yeah I can't lift weights yet but will as soon as I can. Saturday I can eat soft foods but whole food thankfully :-)
  • merobles827
    Options
    Monday I am allowed puréed. Then 5 days after that I am allowed soft foods... Can't wait!! Right now I look forward to my chewable vitamins. Let me know when you start cooking good food we can swap recipes!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You're going to get loose skin if you have a large weight loss. How much will be due to your age and genetic predisposition. How quickly you lose doesn't affect it. I have lots of loose skin, but I like it more than my old rolls of fat!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Lol, enjoy the wt loss now cause it usually stalls around 3 wks for many when your metabolism resets to compensate for the 30 lbs you don't carry with every step. Genetics is gonna determine the loose skin issue. I do use exfoliating scrubs now on my worst areas and I think it improves me by at least 10%. I don't mind, being a size 10/12 is fabulous
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I lost 14 pounds the first week and then lost three pounds a week for about two months. Then I stalled for a week. After that, my weekly weight lost fluctuated quite a bit. I track my weekly weightloss using an excel spreadsheet. I'm now at 31 weeks out and my average weekly weightloss is 2.39 pounds. That includes the few weightloss stalls I've had. The weight comes off so much easier in the beginning. After a few months, it tapers off a bit. Add in exercise whenever possible and this will boost your weekly numbers.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Its a problem that you only have early on so enjoy it lol. As the weeks and months go by the loss will slow and at times stop and, it gets harder and harder. At 1.5 years out I remember complaining the first few months about the lack of appetite and how less then a 1/4 cup was TOO much food and now I wish I could go back to those days lol.

Also as for the skin, thats putting the cart before the horse. Thats something that you should not let control your decision in your weight loss, as its a side effect of getting healthier. A large loss will result in that regardless of the rate of loss (its a myth that if you loose slow there is less excess), its all about your body shape, height, age and amount of loss. Also if you are bothered in the end you can regain some weight if you find that a lower weight doesnt suit you

For example - at about 9 months out I was a size L/ 10 and had less excess skin in my thighs and could wear a bathing suit, today at 1.5 years out I am a size M/6 and the 15 pound difference that got me there shrunk my thighs and now they are all wrinkly and Sharpe-like, and I am too uncomfortable to wear a swimsuit, HOWEVER, I would rather be the lower weight that is a "healthy/ non-overweight" BMI then a higher weight because my goal was health - BUT that is my choice. Often my family comments that I have lost too much weight and should regain some, but again its MY choice and I would rather maintain a "healthy" BMI then look a little better if I was more rounded (I agree that a few pounds more wouldnt hurt but for me at this time the lower BMI means more to me).

So take it easy and see what happens, your still early out and you will be amazed at the changes that will come your way and the transformations (physically and emotionally) that you will go through. :happy: