Apps for logging workouts?

Options
DianeinCA
DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
I don't like the Stronglifts app, because while it's good for the 5 work sets and remembering where you should be and moving you up, etc., it doesn't let you include warmup sets, and if I don't write my warmup sets down I don't remember what they are.

I have been using the Gym Goal 2.0 app. The good: it lets you keep track of differing sets (in terms of how many reps, etc.) and it shows you what you've done over the last several workouts, so it's nice to see how the weights are increasing. It also has a built-in timer, which is nice. The bad: it's designed for iOS 6 and I don't think it's going to updated ever again.

JeFIT seems to be inflexible in terms of varying sets, although the interface is nice.

I see I used Fitocracy at one point and I love the gamification of fitness (points for working out? YES!). I don't know why I stopped using this app -- does anyone use this? It's a heck of a lot prettier than Gym Goal, that's for sure.

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I use LiftBig, which is a lighter version of the Stronglifts official app.
    LiftBig is very simple but it has everything I need, including progress graphs. It also has a Notes section in every workout session where I add accessory work and random thoughts.
  • Claude1985
    Claude1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the Physique app for iphone. You can create your own workouts with it.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use Fitocracy and love it. Like you said they kind of turn into a game and it's fun to get points and level up when you log your workout. I also like that they have a description of the exercise and a video showing the right form. I log my warm up exercises, accessory and cardio.
  • DianeinCA
    Options
    I use the Physique app for iphone. You can create your own workouts with it.

Neat -- hadn't seen this one before. I will give Fitocracy another whirl at the gym today, and if I find entering my workout is too much of a pain, I might download this.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I just use a diary app. The one I use you can save to sd card and export to a pdf. I used to make spreadsheets, but as my lifting has gotten more complex it's just easier for me now to use a diary. I do keep a spreadsheet in my gym bag to work off of though.
  • DianeinCA
    Options
    Used Fitocracy today. There is no rest timer for in-between sets. That's not going to work for me.

I'm a little nervous about Physique, because it hasn't been updated since last September. That's a lifetime ago, in app terms.

GymHero appears to be basic (very basic -- you input your own exercises, it doesn't even have exercise lists), but it has lots of features (timer, seeing what I did on the last workout, export) that I want.

I used a paper and pen for years, and I really thought this was the kind of thing that would be a no-brainer for a phone app. But it turns out to be a harder quest than I first thought!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who swore by gymwolf, although I can't remember who or where that person was. Looked at it, looks pretty basic yet customizable.

I use fitocracy as a database for my workouts cuz I'm a huge geek and I love gaining points for exercising :) But I find having to twiddle with my phone is too much trouble, so I also have a good old 9x6 inches notebook with pen I bought for a dollar, and my watch has a timer & chronometer, and I have a dedicated interval timer app on my phone when I really need one. Usually though I just glance at the time when I finish my set and then tell myself "okay, can't go back to it until this time"

But nothing beats being able to scribble notes on the go without having to go through menus, and being able to flip a few pages back to see previous workouts without needing a wifi connection or spotty 3G xP
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump for research later
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Paper and pen for me then I plug it into Fitocracy later on, like Tree my workouts get complicated so its easier just to write it all down and just use the timer on my phone for rest periods
  • DianeinCA
    Options
    I wanted to update this...

I still haven't found an app that's better than Gym Goal for me. They finally updated it today (woot! it's not abandonware!) and they claim it's for iOS 7.0...let's just say we differ on how well they've stuck to 7.0 UI guidelines. But they're continuing to work on it! So I'm a happier camper.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use a pen and notebook.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I use a pen and notebook.

Me too!
    Ive had people comment on it.
    I dont even bring my phone into the gym lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like Fitocracy. I don't really love the feedback-- seems pretty hollow. But for the actual logging it works well, except that the database doesn't have several of my exercises. I generally find something close and make a note.

eta: I also use a notebook.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I write down all my workout info on the mirrors in my (HOME) gym. Easy to wipe off and make changes.