Liquid diet

Options
I'm really nervous about the liquid diet. Has everyone been able to stick to it pre-op?

Replies

• Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was on 'New Directions' products purchased through my weight management team and Dr. I did not have much of a problem sticking to it as I was required to lose 10lbs. in 8 days (most have 2 weeks) or my surgeon would have cancelled the surgery. Losing the weight prior to the surgery shrinks the liver (allowing for more space) which is quite a heavy organ and the surgeon needs to lift it out of the way in order to do the surgery.

I also sometimes froze the shakes an puddings for a different texture. They were good. I drank a lot of water - which I do anyway. Plus I had already worked so hard to eat small meals 5 - 6 times day with protein rich foods eaten first to begin a schedule I would have for the rest of my life.

I had committed to this life-style eating change and did everything I was told in order for it to happen as scheduled. Just remember why you are having this surgery and how positive the changes will make.

Karen
  • platinum3karat
    platinum3karat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It was truly a challenge, but my liquid diet was for 24 hours only. I did clear chicken broth, lots of water and sugar free jello. 2 weeks prior I was on smart one meals or healthy choice. I cheated once by eating 2 wings from KFC. I felt so guilty afterwards and thought that my liver wasn't going to be small enough since I cheated. But everything went well. In fact when I woke up after surgery the Dr. Said that was the 1st thing I asked?
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    My liquid diet was only 48 hours and it was clear liquids and protein only. It was tough and I had a really bad headache with it but it was only a couple days. You can do it!
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My clear liquid only diet was three days long- I was really worried about my ability to stick to it, but I did! Keep the end goal in mind and have plenty of sugar free jello and ice pops on hand- you can do it!