First Half Marathon

Options
k_perlinger
k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
I'm running my first half marathon on May 4th. Just curious how many miles per week you were logging when you ran your first half marathon. When I signed up in January I wasn't following a real training plan because all the beginner programs felt like a step back. I semi followed the nike coach marathon training plan mixed with cross training for a few months. About three weeks ago I got pretty sick and wasn't able to work out for a week. Mix that with some time away for my sister's bachelorette weekend and I feel like I'm not where I should be for the race. I have religiously been logging 25+ miles per week for quite some time, many of those being in the high 20 to low 30 miles per week range. Lately my legs just don't feel as strong as they did 3 weeks ago though. 6 mile runs feel like an effort where before they felt like nothing. Perhaps I'm just psyching myself out. Would love to hear from some veteran runners. My competitive spirit is probably making this worse. I don't just want to finish this half marathon....I'm sure most of you can relate.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If this is your first HM then your goal SHOULD be to finish. Some of the training plans will feel like a step back...most are for people who are increasing their mileage up from 10Ks.

I personally like the Hal Hidgon plans. He has two novice HM plans...and it sounds like the Novice 2 plan would be a better fit for you.

You can also try the Runner's World Smart Coach. That one you have to pay for, but it will mold a plan around your running level. You are able to pick how many miles per week you want to run at and it will mold to fit it...and it brings in one speed run a week as well.

As far as your legs not feeling right...are you taking scale back weeks? Might want to try one...you run 50-60% of what your weekly mileage is to allow your legs a full heal and recover before ramping up again. The general agreement is one every month or so.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If this is your first HM then your goal SHOULD be to finish. Some of the training plans will feel like a step back...most are for people who are increasing their mileage up from 10Ks.

I personally like the Hal Hidgon plans. He has two novice HM plans...and it sounds like the Novice 2 plan would be a better fit for you.

You can also try the Runner's World Smart Coach. That one you have to pay for, but it will mold a plan around your running level. You are able to pick how many miles per week you want to run at and it will mold to fit it...and it brings in one speed run a week as well.

As far as your legs not feeling right...are you taking scale back weeks? Might want to try one...you run 50-60% of what your weekly mileage is to allow your legs a full heal and recover before ramping up again. The general agreement is one every month or so.

^^ Becky's right!

Your first is a run to finish (unless you're Mo). That doesn't equal low-effort, but don't try to peg a pace on uncharted territory. Use your first as a baseline for future training. And you should have a long run left in you before the race. Perhaps try using that as a tune up and clear the mental BS that's dragging you down.

And.....

May the 4th be with you

:laugh:

:huh:
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I was running 30-40 a week when I ran 13.1 miles for the first time.. However, many many many people will do their first off only 15-25 miles per week! Have fun & enjoy :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was running around 25 miles per week when I ran my first half marathon. I picked a doable goal for me at the time and managed to finish 9 minutes under that time.

I'll be running my second in 2 weeks on 40-50 miles per week. I'm aiming to shave 21 minutes on my previous time. Running more and more and more and more miles will make you faster. You will also become more comfortable being uncomfortable.

Like other said, enjoy your race and use your result as a baseline for the next ones (because you'll be hooked!!)
  • k_perlinger
    Options
    My only goal is to run the entire thing, anything less wouldn't be completing it in my mind. I'll worry about pace once I have a few races under my belt. I have not previously heard of the scale back week. Thank you for sharing this information. It's also comforting to hear that it doesn't take 30+ miles per week to be able to finish the half marathon.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My only goal is to run the entire thing, anything less wouldn't be completing it in my mind.

you're going to see alot of people 'not completing it' on race day then.
  • k_perlinger
    Options
    That's no judgement towards anyone, hope it doesn't come across that way. I'm super competitive (with myself) and I don't want to finish my first race thinking "I could have or should have."
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I followed the Hal Higdon plan below, I ran my first Half Marathon in March and it really helped me. I started training pretty early so once I completed the plan I asked Hal if I should do the plan again and he said not so I followed the Marathon novice 1 all the way up to mile 12. And than did the Taper week.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Good luck
  • k_perlinger
    Options
    I followed the Hal Higdon plan below, I ran my first Half Marathon in March and it really helped me. I started training pretty early so once I completed the plan I asked Hal if I should do the plan again and he said not so I followed the Marathon novice 1 all the way up to mile 12. And than did the Taper week.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Good luck

I really liked this one. Wish I had found it sooner. I will definitely have to look at the marathon novice next. I have been considering a marathon, just trying to decide if I have the time with two little ones at home. Thanks so much for sharing, it makes me feel better about where I'm at with my couple of set back weeks :)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I also (mostly) followed Hal Higon's plan for my half yesterday. I was able to run the whole distance, which was a goal of mine, and I finished 1 minute under my goal time. I modified the plan to add in 2 10k races that I had already registered for. I inserted an extra week for each race and kept those midweek runs on the short side with the races on Saturdays. I didn't think about it being a benefit to my half training, I just wanted a bit of a scale back before running the 10k's. It was also a nice mental break to be able to think "my longest run this week is 6.2, this is easy!".
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have run 5 half marathons, the first few I didn't train much for though. The last one I did I was training consistently with a group and never hit over 25 miles/week - you will do great! Definitely only do a couple of slower/shorter runs the week before the race. Good luck!
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Are you running the Vancouver Half by any chance? If so, it's a beautiful course and a great choice for your first Half!
  • k_perlinger
    Options
    Unfortunately no. I live in Nebraska and will be running the Lincoln Half.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no. I live in Nebraska and will be running the Lincoln Half.
    I live in Iowa (Council Bluffs) and thought about Lincoln but I'm running my tried and true Gambler in Council Bluffs the weekend before. Good luck! Several good friends of mine always run the Lincoln but timing never works out in my favor :)
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything real to add, as I am going to be running in my first half on the May 4th as well. I've been using Hal Higdon Novice 2 as my training plan and the rest weeks seem to help. The week following the rest weeks seem to be filled with great feeling runs.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I'm finishing my half prep, I'm usually hitting in the 22-24 per week range. Tuesday/Thursday are 5.5-ish (just based on the route I run) and Saturday's LSD hits at least 13. Monday and Friday (and the occassional Wednesday) I get some kind of cross-training in. That seems to have been working well so far.

I've had interesting discussions with one of the guys I run/train with at work about how often the really long long-run should happen. I've been training with building up to four 13-mile runs starting at 5 weeks before my actual race then the week before the race getting in something like 8-9 miles with a good bit of rest during the week prior to race day (my Tue/Thurs dropped to 3-4 miles instead of the 5.5). He's recommending only getting the really long run in every other week, rather every weekend like I had been doing. Not sure how that would affect my readiness, but I trust the guy, so I may try it out whenever I get back into training mode.
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Best of luck!