Arthritis and weight loss

Options
Hello. I am a 58 year old female who struggles with the pain of arthritis daily. I had lost over 30 pounds and was having success with a personal trainer. My arthritis took a turn for the worst and I gained most of the weight back. Worse, I could not do the same exercise I was actually beginning to love! I do not have answers, but know that if we join together we can discover ways to make our lives more enjoyable and healthy. All for one and one for all!:smile:

Replies

• tlr1961
    tlr1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a 53 year old women this month. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have daily pain too, which makes it hard to exercise , so I can relate. I've lost 56 pounds over the last year, but it was more to grief over my brother dying a year ago. I just want to get healthy so maybe less weight will help the arthritis. It's really hard when pain and mobility are big issues.
  • sallywillwin
    Options
    I so understand!! I will be having knee reconstruction in May. I want to lose some before then, but definitely after! I have been out of town so sorry for the delay! We can support each other!:smile:
  • tlr1961
    tlr1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had my right knee replaced about 4 years ago. It was no miracle for me, I still have problems with mobility and my leg is stiff. I hope you have better luck. I know people that did and just bounced back from it. But, I thought it was a horrible surgery and I hated the recovery process. I hope I'm not scaring you, I just dont wanna sugar coat it. Did you get a walker for afterwards, for your recovery? They made me get one and bring it to the hospital. I was glad I had it. I hated all the therapy right after. They want you to start like a day after the surgery. I looked at them like they were insane. But, I did it. Like I said, I have known people that it wasn't so bad and they were happy with the results. Keep in touch about that. And then when I got home they had a person come to the house 3 times a week for a month to do therapy. I appreciated that part. One thing, anytime I have surgery, it seems like I'm not hungry at all for first 2 weeks. You will definately need someone to help you around house and driving to spots. I hope it's great for you. :smile:
  • sallywillwin
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!! I am still praying and preparing! :smile:
  • MonkDogMom
    Options
    I feel like I have found a home! I am 54 and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 22. Always been an issue with walking/running let alone exercise! Then throughout my 20's and 30's, 6 foot surgeries! The icing on the cake was a spinal fusion that happened two years ago I had due to a fall off my horse. YIKES!

Before the surgery, I worked out 6 days a week, cardio and weight lifting. I felt good but always in pain. Now after back surgery, crawling back to being active has been such a struggle. But the extra weight isn't helping either so I just have to bite the bullet and suck it up. I am hoping that some of the pain will subside after I loose the extra 60 lbs I have put on since surgery.

If Rheumatoid Arthritis wasn't enough, the arthritis that sets in your bones and joints after surgery is a killer. I would love to join your group for help and motivation!