Cross Training and Weight Training

Options
I am just curious as to what everyone out there does for cross training and what you think works best for you. I was also curious as to how much weight training you do and how often. Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do a split upper/lower routine a personal trainer has set up for me, 3 times a week. Core work is part of every routine.

For lower: Leg press/squats, deadlifts, single leg deadlifts, lunges(multiple iterations), leg curls, toe press, calf raises, and choice of core work. I do a lighter weight and higher reps (3 sets of 12 reps).

For upper: Dumbbell bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell fly, single arm dumbbell curl, single arm tricep extension. lateral cable or dumbbell raise, wide grip cable pull down, seated cable row, and choice of core work.

I will do Upper, Lower, Upper week one. I will do Lower, Upper, Lower week 2.

I have been doing this routine for ~3 months now and will probably be changing it up soon.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I lift 2x a week. Full body workout, heavy weights, 8 reps, 3 sets... Compound moves (Squat, deadlift, lunges..)... I wish I could lift 3x a week but I can't make it fit with 2 speed sessions a week (I can't lift the day before) and one extra long run (I'm too dead after to lift on the same day)...

I also ride my bike 2x-3x a week. So far it's been on the trainer inside, but I can't wait for the snow to go away and ride outside! Cycling is easier to fit into my schedule.. I can do it on running rest days, I can do it after a long run, I can do it before speed works... Easier :)

I wish I could fit yoga, but I can't make it work.. Oh well, priority on the running right ?!?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am just curious as to what everyone out there does for cross training and what you think works best for you. I was also curious as to how much weight training you do and how often. Thanks!:happy:

I swim and bike! Also, I have found the strength training regimen outlined in Brain Training for Runners to be really helpful. I stopped for now, as i am in the middle of marathon training and my body isn't quite ready for the load of plyo-type exercises and running. But for the next cycle (fall marathon prep), I plan on incorporating that stuff into my routine. Also, next winter I would like to do some stronglifts 5x5 work, to get ready for the rigors of the rest of the year. One thing that I will definitely not do again is try prepare for a spring marathon up here in New England!!

Unless it's Boston, of course.

good luck!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do 2 or 3 weights / strength training sessions a week mixed with some speed interval training on the treadmil, I find that's helped massively with my fitness and endurance for longer runs. I've been doing a lot of squating lately to strengthen my legs as I suffer with my knees
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to maintain a full body lifting session twice a week, focusing on using about 60-75% of my highest weights when I was doing stronglifts. And, instead of doing a 5x5 workout, I aim for a 3x8-10.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm running about 30-40 miles a week and I find if I dont lift I get REAL skinny real fast. I do full weights 2-3 times a week and cross train on my off days with Insanity or P90X3, good for core and leg strength.
  • racheldeherrera
    racheldeherrera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do P90x3. It's only 30 minutes which I love!! I used to get injured easily. I had a nagging hip injury that would flair up if I put in too many miles. Once I started doing the cross training, my hip doesn't flair up and I have a lot fewer injuries. I highly recommend xtraining!!! DEW IT!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My cross training is such a mix, rofl. I might do a spin class if I find a class that works with my schedule (or a trekking class but on the elliptical instead of treadmill), or I might do a water aerobics class. Recently I found a nice 20 minute treadmill walking hill climb workout that I have really grown to like. Or I may just walk when my running group meets up, instead of running.

For strength...I usually do 2-3 times a week, depending on how my schedule is. And I just do some workout routine that I found on Jefit.com. I usually change the routine up every 3-4 months to keep if fresh, I get bored of the same things over and over.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am just curious as to what everyone out there does for cross training and what you think works best for you.

I cycle, row and do bodyweight resistance training.

I'll generally either take my road bike out for a long, fast ride, or take my mountain bike out on the trail. Both quite different in the effect with the MTB giving me quite a lot of upper body effect. An hour on the bike is about 25K on the road at the moment.

I have a WaterRower at home and about once a week I'll do an hour on there, a mix of steady pace and intervals that'll give me 13-15km.

I use YAYOG a couple of times a week. I should probably actually use weights but my work pattern precludes it, I'm away from home a couple of nights a week and weekends tend to be set aside for the long run/ ride.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I sleep.

I might do 100 pushups a day if I think about it. But sleep, mostly sleep for me.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I started cross training because I actually started training for multi sport (Triathlon). But it's been great. My legs have never been stronger from the cycling and my upper body is getting stronger from the swimming. I really think this has helped to keep my running injuries at bay. Once my tri season is over for the year I am going to keep up with the cycling and swimming a couple times a week while training for my next marathon. I see the benefits of it without a doubt. I was doing some lifting but that got dropped from the schedule, a person can only do so much.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've started working in an hour of classes at work, an Insanity 3-block workout, and then an hour of HIIT core strength/cardio mix. I found that while training for my first 26.2 that my core was pretty weak and my form went to hell as I got up over 18 miles. I'm hoping this will help.

I would do the sleep thing per Carson, but my sleep switch is broken :/
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have winter schedule and I have a spring,summer and fall schedule

Winter schedule - I do lots of weights and work on my upper body. I run only 2 time a week.

Rest of the year it's reversed - I do weights 2 or 3 times and run a lots.

Yoga is all year round twice a week.

Hope this helps. But I loved your question ... Helped me look at options.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I alternate between lifting focus and running focus. When I am running (3-4x/week), I lift 2x/week. When I am lifting (4x/week) I generally work on one short run or interval training and one long run per week.
  • speedisoverrated
    Options
    Do you guys have any specific sites/books you refer to for your lifting? You all seem to do it (sensibly!) but where did you take the ideas from?

I'm running 30 miles per week at the moment but need to strengthen my core (and everything else really). Is there a bible for this?

Basically, to summarise the poorly put together questions above, what exactly did you do to go from runner to core of steel runner who could hold posture? Thanks in advance!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have any specific sites/books you refer to for your lifting? You all seem to do it (sensibly!) but where did you take the ideas from?

I'm running 30 miles per week at the moment but need to strengthen my core (and everything else really). Is there a bible for this?

Basically, to summarise the poorly put together questions above, what exactly did you do to go from runner to core of steel runner who could hold posture? Thanks in advance!

I would recommend any compound lift, full body program. You will probably only be able to lift 2-3x/week and this will give you the most bang for your buck. I have just adapted the lifting programs that I have done or just finished. I just finished a 12 week cycle of Strong Cruves, So this time around I will be doing another round of Strong Curves, but only 2 days/week rather than 4.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I sleep.

I might do 100 pushups a day if I think about it. But sleep, mostly sleep for me.

???????????????? This is me 100% but I do yoga for recovery sometimes when I think about it ????