Lunches with Your Kids?

mbitely2004
mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
I have a 1 year old son who I'm home with at lunchtime every day. I used to make a lot of canned food for our lunches (spaghettios, ravioli, etc) but now that I'm eating healthier its been alot of quesadilla's and grilled cheese with carrots and ranch. GIVE ME IDEAS PLEASE! My sons a picky eater which makes it hard... I like to make sure were eating the same things so it promotes better eating habits (so im not FOREVER making two different meals because he doesnt like it)

Replies

• melaniemart89
    melaniemart89 Posts: 10 Member
    About once a week I go really simple with my 2 year old (very picky) and 16 month old (Will eat anything): Grapes, Yogurt, toast with nutella or peanut butter... And instead of the toast, I might have a protein bar... Good luck, I know it's not easy!

42990580.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    My kids love hard boiled eggs, and we use egg shapers to make them even more fun. And zucchini pancakes were big at that age. Also, adding more veggies to the table in a dip tray dramatically increased their interest.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    On the weekends, we often eat lunch at home.

-Chicken nuggets with bbq sauce for dipping, a fruit, and maybe a sliced cucumber (or chopped in smaller pieces if he is still having issues with large pieces of food like that)
    -Sandwiches - my kids are big fans of Peanut Butter & Apple Butter with a little bit of honey, but sometimes they will eat a regular old turkey/ham & cheese sandwich, or tuna melts
    -Roll ups - instead of using bread for your sandwich, roll up in a tortilla
    -Applesauce, yogurt
    -Sliced apples dipped in peanut butter
    -Hummus - my kids love it! They like dipping pita bread in it, crackers, pretzels, carrots (although for a 1 yr old, carrots should be cut into smaller strips, depending on the kid of course)
    -Sometimes we just dig into whatever leftovers we have and we all end up choosing something different
    -Salad...my kids love the crunch of iceberg lettuce and ranch dressing
    -Hot dogs, corn dogs, pizza rolls
    -And fruit...lots of fruit. My youngest will eat just about any fruit.

Honestly I have always felt it was important for the kids ot eat the same foods we do- none of that cooking 2 meals for us! Except of course when they were eating baby food or certain foods that were avoided due to choking hazards or possible allergies, but mostly they always ate what we did. It is only now that they are older that they sometimes ASK for a Apple Butter and Peanut Butter sandwich every weekend....hey, they like, they eat it, and eat what we put in front of them for dinner, so why not let them have their fave sandwich if they want? Kids are funny. They could eat their fave food everyday for awhile before they decide they are tired of it and switch to something esle.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    ...my kid who doesn't eat enough loves hummus too, the other, not so much, but it made me remember avocados, both of them LOVE avocados and guac, and it's SO fun to make guac with them and a potato masher! And tonight we're having "sliders" on hawaiian rolls. I take add an equal amount (cup measure, not weight) sauteed mushrooms & onions, cooked lentils, and ground meat (so 1 part mushrooms and onions, 1 part lentils, 1 part beef or turkey) in a 9 x 5 casserole, bake at 375 until the temperature reaches whatever the proper temperature is, cut them into squares the right side for each roll. They reheat great for lunch, and they're so easy to portion control for me. I add cheese to theirs when i reheat, or when i serve for dinner.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    My two have two very different tastes. But 2 things they do agree on are 1) finger meats (eg. chicken nuggets, homemade chicken or steak strips (20 mins including preparation), sausages, fish fingers, etc. ; and 2) fruit (they both will eat ANY kind of fruit)

They're both rather choosy with the veggies, so it's still trial and error there. I eat pretty much what they eat if I make it myself. If it comes out of a box, then I'd rather prepare a salad for myself.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Wheatberry salad, pesto pasta (you can mix in other things like mini pepperoni, black olives, chicken, tuna, etc), dinner leftovers, hummus, apples and celery with peanut butter, shredded meats.
  • EHolstrom
    EHolstrom Posts: 2,563 Member
    My 3yr old is fairly picky too and we too ate a lot of canned food before i got on MFP. We eat a lot of salads with grilled chicken, homemade spaghetti, apples with peanut butter, sandwhiches and soups. But we also love eating 2 breakfasts a day instead of a lunch. We bought the myplates at walmart for like $1 and they help me make sure both her and I are getting what we need at the meal table.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    My 1-year old loves avocado, hummus, peanut butter, bananas and squash. I have made him banana pancakes before with some peanut butter in the middle. Baked pears and apples (with stuff like cinnamon and nutmeg added) are a hit as well.

Another thing he likes are meatballs. I use ground chicken or ground turkey. I mix it up with cooked quinoa, an egg, sometimes some butternut squash if it still needs to stick together better, sauteed onion/garlic/spinach, and spices.

~Becky