Greatest JRPG Series....GO!!

Options
Gilbrod
Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
First I will say that I have not played every series out there. I would have never had the time to play them unless I go on vacation. It is something that I will be saving for when I retire (whevenever the hell that would be). In my opinion, I would have to say that my favorite series had to be Phantasy Star, even including the Online series. Not the crappy card based one. The reason I loved it was because it always involved the Algo Star system in one way or another. You had certain characters make a reappearance or be mentioned. You always knew you had to fight Dark Force in the end. Before the emotions of Arieth, there was Nei. I wish they made more past 4. Then the Online ones came and it was still involving Dark Force and the Algo Star System (granted. it was destroyed, but still). There are many other JRPGs that I like, but they're not series. If Skies of Arcadia had a series, I'd probably pick them. But as it stands, Phantasy Star is my go to series.

Replies

• iluvmpiche
    Options
    Oh god, PSO and Skies of Arcadia? Couldn't have made better choices! LOVE them!

I guess you can't NOT mention Final Fantasy, but eh, I prefer IX and earlier, excluding 8 because shut up Squall you emo turd.

How about the Mana series? So good!

But, you know... I have a weakness for the Tales Of series. They kinda suck single player, but if you get somebody to co-op with you, they are freaking AMAZING!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Does Disgaea count? If so, I might go with that answer. If nothing else, it deserves a mention. Also, I'm tossing Suikoden into the discussion.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So many!! But my fav is Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have to go with FF I to X

Not a series but the best of last gen was Lost Odyssey
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I feel like I'm in some odd minority who actually likes the more recent Final Fantasy games, so I'll go on record as saying that I enjoyed both 12 and 13 more than I liked about half of the series (1, 2, 3, 7, 8, at minimum, possibly 10, which was fun to play, but I didn't love the story/characters). That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy (most) of the lower ranked ones.

I'm not going to argue that the SNES era games aren't the best in the series (along with 9, which felt like it belonged with those).
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Chrono Trigger & FF6!!!

Also Secret of Mana is fantastic.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Although my personal experience with them is limited (mostly due to time constraints) the Persona series always looks like it has a fantastic style. Persona 4 in particular looks like an amazing game.
  • laoanime
    laoanime Posts: 15
    Options
    FF7 was the one that got me all hooked into gaming and rpg!!
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The first RPG that really - REALLY - sucked me in was ChronoTrigger on SNES. I could replay it a million times!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Mana series was phenominal. It was the only time I used the multi tap for the SNES! Disgea was fun. I would count it as a series in the JRPG/Strategy world.

As for Final Fantasy not being a series, I wish I could introduce you to a friend of mine who eats, breathes and lives all things FF. He's not a fan of the MMORPGs, but just because they have the Final Fantasy title, he says he's
    "obligated" to play them. I couldn't get into Persona. My nephew swears by the .Hack series.