Running with your dog

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I have a about an 8-9 year old terrier mix, around 40 lbs and all legs. I have taken him running on several long runs with me, but 11 miles seems to be his limit, well he starts to slow down. But I don't run fast (around 10 min miles) so his long legs he is pretty much just trotting next to me. He can just pick up and run 9-10 miles with me at anytime. But then again he is just trotting :)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old, 22 lb terrier mix Mollie LOVES run-time. We run 3-4 miles together once a week and she loves it. She's a steady 9 min mile dog. More than 4 miles she gets tired and starts to trot and seek shade. Less than 2 miles just gets her excited. :) I try not to run her if it's over 70 out, since she's all black and gets hot quickly.

I started running with her when she was 16 months old. I tried when she was 6 months (15 lbs) and she made it less than half a mile before laying down and proclaiming herself Done. Her vet said it was probably a combination of being too young, not being able to properly pace herself (jogging slow is harder for puppies than sprinting), and it being too hot out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't run with my dogs a whole lot at this time. I do love to run with them though.

I got my lab as a puppy and waited until he was 2 years old. You should always wait at least 1 year, or until the dog is fully developed. I erred on the side of caution. He was a pup when I started dating my husband. He had a German shepherd who was 3 at the time that I started running with him. He loved to run and would go as far as I asked, at whatever pace I wanted. He lived to run. He is now over 11 and I don't take him as often. I was running too far for him. Now I am pregnant, my runs are easier. I took him out last week but he wanted to go home after a half a mile which is totally unlike him so I did.

My lab turned out to be not much of a running dog. He isn't interested in more than 5k and doesn't love it like the Shepherd did.

Our 3rd dog is a working dog and isn't always off when I am. I take him occasionally though, especially when my husband is away and he needs to get out.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips. I have a 4 month old German short hair mix with boundless energy. I read in several places not to start running with them until they are at least a year old. I took her on two leisurely jogs at about 10:00/mi for a little over three miles and she did fine, but after reading about not taking them as puppies, I was a little concerned.
    Ahhh! I have a year old GSP Beau (in my picture). We got him for me to run with (well and hubby wanted a bird dog so he hunts with him for a month and I condition him all year). I love him, they are so much fun and have so much personality. My husband says I love the dog more than him. Anyways. I started running with Beau when he was about 8-9 months old and I asked once about how people run with them (such as leads, harness etc) and got so much backlash that you shouldn't run with them before 2 blah blah blah. I didn't listen. They are working dogs and could go for miles. My run (10:30) is a very light trot for him so not worried. He is my boy and we LOVE our long runs. The farthest Ive taken him is 10.5 miles and he could have kept going (I left him home for the last 14 mile, it was windy etc). That said I rarely take him on short runs (under 3mi) since I run through neighborhoods and he has ADHD lol he gets way to distracted with the cars etc still. He is getting better at it though. When we run our long runs its on trails etc and he is very good about staying focused and not screwing around basically. If I do see him eyeing a bird I will just say his name and he will keep going. If you cant tell I love my runs with my Beau :D
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I run . . . she walks.
  • des10705
    des10705 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have a four year old black lab (Hudson).
    He loves to go running.
    We did an 8 mile run on Sunday.
    He did pretty good a few stops for water.
    He has a saddle bag and carriers his own water.
    When we were done he slept for the rest of the day.
    GOOD BOY!!