Motivation

Options
My biggest problem right now is motivation. I know I can lose the weight - I know what it takes - but I find it difficult to keep my head in the game. What do you girls do to keep motivated?

Right now I'm trying to be motivated by Youtube weight loss success stories, and maybe books.

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My current motivation is a slightly too-small bridesmaids dress. I ordered a 14 and it's tight in the bodice so I need to get small enough to be comfortable/appropriate in it by August. I also ordered it in sizes 12, 10, and 8, so I'm pushing myself to see how many sizes I can drop (safely, of course) between now and about the first week of July so I have time for alterations.

I realize that's an oddly specific motivator, but there's nothing wrong with going out and buying a dress, or a pair of jeans in a smaller size and hanging it on your bedroom door! I also have a ton of little beauty/makeup odds and ends that I want to go out and buy - a new brand of dry shampoo, new eyeliner, my favorite summer perfume, etc. and for every 5 pounds I lose, I have a list of rewards. It works out to about 1 or 2 treats a month, and that's enough to keep me motivated without losing sight of the bigger picture.

If all else fails, I turn on 'Super Size vs. Super Skinny' on YouTube and that keeps me from eating. Might not get me off the couch to work out, but at least it keeps me from overdoing it with food! You can do it, just keep putting one foot in front of the other!
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    That's brilliant! Especially the 5 pound loss rewards.

I've never seen that youtube show, but I'm going to watch it right after I post here. It looks intriguing.

I'm going to have to try both of your motivators.
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have several motivating factors rite now, first is my 36th birthday is may 25th and i have a goal weight in mind for that day. Also I like to watch fitness personality's on youtube my favorites are Leansecrets by Brenda lee Turner, Zuzka Light, and Betty Rocker. These women are wonderful and have changed my life. They have a variety of recipes, workouts, information and pep-talks. Zuzka has about a 100 workouts called ZWOWs which i do about 3 a week. The ZWOWs are high intensity interval training, I really enjoy doing them.
    Another thing that keeps me going is thinking about the fact that whether i workout or not time is going to keep moving forward so i could do nothing and nothing will happen or i could workout and eat good and be a better version of myself next year. I also talk to myself positively, example instead of saying i cant do this workout i tell myself im going to crush this workout! it really does help. You have to go for what you want in life so go get it!
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm checking out all those youtube channels. Those are great motivation techniques!
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Those are all great ideas. When I'm fading I look at success pictures of other people. I love the idea 26minus mentioned. I will look that up when I feel the need to eat more than I should!! My other motivation is wanting to wear shorts this summer and feel comfortable!
    :)
  • harukomcgovern
    harukomcgovern Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love 26minus60's idea of having a goal outfit hanging up somewhere in everyday view. I don't have the outfit yet, but I can imagine it. My personal dream dress would be a backless number that shows off my soon to be toned back, arms and shoulders. I cannot wait to lose the weight, find the right knock-em-for-six outfit, and make a sweeping entrance at some fancy do. A cliche, I know, but it is still a nice dream and when I am feeling low on motivation, I suppose I could start collecting pictures of dresses that I like.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have any "skinny clothes" But i have clothes from before I got pregnant still hanging in my closet and any time I feel down and unmotivated I put those skinny jeans -- or half way on and remember what I am working towards. I need to get rid of the bootay...lol