Meeting Calorie Quota Trouble

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with this? I am eating a variety of all things. With animal products, I could easily double the amount.

So far, my average is 1700 a day. Using the food tracker on here.

Does it get easier? Five days strong! My overall feel is 100% better.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Are you getting 3 servings of beans per day? One cup of beans averages 230 calories. Also 6 servings of whole grains like brown rice and quinoa?

I usually have no problem meeting my measley 1300 calories. I'm quite jealous of you :)
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Jeremy, are you trying to eat more to eat your calories or eat less to meet your calories? I wasn't sure. And it would kind of depend on which for my response. But I don't know so I'll guess.

I have trouble meeting my calories each day because the foods I eat are low in calories but I feel full and feel great. I do eat beans, but I'm going for 10-15% protein so one serving of beans, some kale, and some grain is plenty of protein (besides, it's in the other foods I eat) for me! And Yes, I exercise too! I don't use a lot of vegan meat substitutes, and don't use oil in my cooking. I often have some kind of snack in the evening just to meet my calories and that's before you add in the exercise calories. I'm not usually hungry.

Feel free to send me a friend request to see what I eat if you want.

When my husband is home it's a different story. He loves to eat out and he only eats vegan two days a week when he's home so he wants those caloric and fatty meat substitutes. He wants creamy curries (coconut milk cream) and more of the comfort type foods. I make them for him, but then it's harder for me to keep under my calories. On the weekend, we eat out Friday, and then we each cook one meal either Saturday or Sunday. He's all over the internet looking for recipes for his meal. Last week he picked mushroom stroganoff, but I made it lower calories just by sautéing my vegetables in veggie broth and not oil. He's found some that are vegan but contain a ton of oils or substitutes, so I veto them. At least he's trying to cook.

If you're trying to eat less calories, try the Happy Herbivore recipes www.happyherbivore.com and cookbooks, if you're trying to eat more calories, eat more times a day, or add in a vegan protein shake, some fruit, or some healthy fresh foods.
  • jeremymetcalf10
    Options
    I'm trying to hit 2,000. I've done it once. I'm okay on 1,5 to 1,700. I don't feel as sluggish anymore. I'm eating One cup dry oatmeal with a serving of fruit mixed in(yes It gets cooked). Plus one cup of soymilk, and a tbsp of flax. This keeps me full for at least 4.5 hours. Slowly I'm feeling hungry sooner, It's just hard right now.

Right now I couldn't eat snacks between meals if I tried.

Edit - I had a eureka moment. I'm lacking about 500 calories, 50 protein, and 50 fat. Whats high in all of those?

NUTS! I'm going to add these sparingly as snacks. This will makeup where I'm lacking. Not worried as much on protein, it looks like Macadamia nuts are it!
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You want more protein and fat? Um, can't help you there because I always lose when I watch my intake of those things. And I can't get MFP's goals to adjust to the percentages of protein and fat that are healthy (in my opinion, and based on science for a vegan).
  • jeremymetcalf10
    Options
    I'm assuming it's due to the fact that they are accounting for moderate to highly active people. From what I somewhat understand if our protein number should be half that. It's bad enough to not meet it, let alone exercise and watch your amount of allowable's double.

Tomorrow I get to do my first weigh in, so I'll see if it's working!
  • jeremymetcalf10
    Options
    Are you getting 3 servings of beans per day? One cup of beans averages 230 calories. Also 6 servings of whole grains like brown rice and quinoa?

I usually have no problem meeting my measley 1300 calories. I'm quite jealous of you :)

Sorry didn't mean to neglect your question! I eat usually two to three servings of beans a day. Most of my carbs (so far) have been oatmeal, and white rice. When my food runs out I'm going to buy brown rice, pasta, etc. A lot of carbs come from the fruit and veg I've been eating, so I haven't been worried about not enough. I usually go over.