Weight Loss and Running

Options
Ok so for those of you who have been successful with running and losing weight. I have a couple of questions:

1. At what miles per week did you start to see the weight coming off
2. Where you watching what you were eating? and how many calories were you eating?
3. Where you doing any other workout than running?

Thanks

Replies

• jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How many miles are you running?

I really started noticing the weight loss when I completed a 5k trainer and began a 10k program. So I was running around 9+ when the weight started falling off. Of course I also had a lot more to lose at that time. I was watching what I was eating and limiting it to around 1800 calories a day, sometimes eating back exercise calories but most of the time I was not.

Once I completed the 10k program and began running 6 miles at 3x a week, it did not matter what I could eat, I was still losing weight. However, I only stuck with that for about a month till school started back last fall.

Now this year I signed up for a half marathon that's next Saturday. For the past three months I've been running anywhere from 6-10 miles on Mon/Wed/Fri....which puts most of the weekly totals around 18-22 miles. During this time I have to fuel more to make my runs not feel like I'm dying. However, I've lost about 20 lbs since new years and the start of my hm schedule.

I don't do any other workouts other than running.

Hope this helps
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're female?

Sorry to say this, but despite how many calories it burns, running makes me gain weight. I'm so freaking hungry all the time. I'm here on My Fitness Pal in the first place because, after four years of ultrarunning, I had gained 12 lbs and couldn't get them off. I wanted to start tracking calories so that I could try to figure out where I was making mistakes.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Yes for me I started walking only a block at a time and over the years kept increasing my runs. The weight kept coming off slowly but steadily. I started in May 2008 at 367 pounds so a lot of time and weight before I could run.
    I have watched my calories from the beginning and ate about 1600 calories a day and DID eat back at least half of my exercise calories most days some days I would burn near 1000 calories running and only eat back 500 or so.
    I started a mens fitness class which is aerobics and calisthenics with hand weights and stretch bands 3x a week and still go to that class every week.
    I eliminated most processed foods all alcohol and most beef to start and keep adjusting my food as I get closer to my ultimate goal this year.
  • runningcat76
    Options
    Maybe add some sprints into 1 of your weekly runs. Getting the heart rate up really helps burn more and increase your metabolism.
    I also found adding something like circuit training or spinning really helped.
    When I was losing weight I was running about 4 times a week, with 1 circuits session. Probably doing anywhere between 20-30 miles per week. I was watching diet but eating more on a Saturday to fuel a longer Sunday run.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You're female?

Sorry to say this, but despite how many calories it burns, running makes me gain weight. I'm so freaking hungry all the time. I'm here on My Fitness Pal in the first place because, after four years of ultrarunning, I had gained 12 lbs and couldn't get them off. I wanted to start tracking calories so that I could try to figure out where I was making mistakes.

This is not just a female issue, I know plenty of guys who have the same problem; hell if it weren't for MFP I would have a hard time. Running a lot makes you hungry; seeing all the calories you just burned helps you justify indulging in that hunger. For me the best thing is to have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables around. They are very good at staving off runger and I am able to keep the weight off.

Good luck.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    How many miles are you running?

I really started noticing the weight loss when I completed a 5k trainer and began a 10k program. So I was running around 9+ when the weight started falling off. Of course I also had a lot more to lose at that time. I was watching what I was eating and limiting it to around 1800 calories a day, sometimes eating back exercise calories but most of the time I was not.

Once I completed the 10k program and began running 6 miles at 3x a week, it did not matter what I could eat, I was still losing weight. However, I only stuck with that for about a month till school started back last fall.

Now this year I signed up for a half marathon that's next Saturday. For the past three months I've been running anywhere from 6-10 miles on Mon/Wed/Fri....which puts most of the weekly totals around 18-22 miles. During this time I have to fuel more to make my runs not feel like I'm dying. However, I've lost about 20 lbs since new years and the start of my hm schedule.

I don't do any other workouts other than running.

Hope this helps

Wow that is awesome thanks for sharing
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You're female?

Yep I am a female and I am in the same boat. I starter seriously running last year and have completed 5ks, 10ks and 1 Half Marathon but the darn weight is not coming off and I am really frustrated
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Yes for me I started walking only a block at a time and over the years kept increasing my runs. The weight kept coming off slowly but steadily. I started in May 2008 at 367 pounds so a lot of time and weight before I could run.
    I have watched my calories from the beginning and ate about 1600 calories a day and DID eat back at least half of my exercise calories most days some days I would burn near 1000 calories running and only eat back 500 or so.
    I started a mens fitness class which is aerobics and calisthenics with hand weights and stretch bands 3x a week and still go to that class every week.
    I eliminated most processed foods all alcohol and most beef to start and keep adjusting my food as I get closer to my ultimate goal this year.

That is awesome congrats, I need to make some adjustments to my food and go from there.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Maybe add some sprints into 1 of your weekly runs. Getting the heart rate up really helps burn more and increase your metabolism.
    I also found adding something like circuit training or spinning really helped.
    When I was losing weight I was running about 4 times a week, with 1 circuits session. Probably doing anywhere between 20-30 miles per week. I was watching diet but eating more on a Saturday to fuel a longer Sunday run.

Thanks this information really helps
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You're female?

This is not just a female issue, I know plenty of guys who have the same problem; hell if it weren't for MFP I would have a hard time. Running a lot makes you hungry; seeing all the calories you just burned helps you justify indulging in that hunger. For me the best thing is to have lots of fresh fruit and vegetables around. They are very good at staving off runger and I am able to keep the weight off.

Good luck.

Thanks glad to hear it is not only a Female problem :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    At what miles per week did you start to see the weight coming off?

I guess I would say right around 20/25-30 miles a week I found it really hard to keep weight on at all. During marathon training I lost 5-7 lbs easily. (To put this in perspective, on regular running/weight training and eating carefully, this would take me close to a year because I'm just small and my body doesn't want to give up anything.) It was too much and it was alarming for me to lose so much in 2-3 months.

Where you watching what you were eating? and how many calories were you eating?

I do watch what I eat and keep portions sensible, but I never went on binges. I made sure to have a protein recovery shake after each run or workout. I had sensible meals with a good balance of proteins and carbs and veggies. I didn't really eat a ton of sweets though your body craves sugar/carbs like nobody's business.

Where you doing any other workout than running?

During marathon training I didn't do much strength training and part of my weight loss, I'm sure, was muscle loss. I find I am happier when I'm doing some strength training. I'm currently training for a half marathon and doing Kaia Fit bootcamp classes 3 or 4 times a week. I'll be doing these bootcamp classes also with marathon training again later this year and hopefully I won't drop weight quite so drastically.

For me, curbing my appetite (because there were definitely days I felt like a T-Rex and wanted to eat everything in sight) worked best when I ate lots of complex carbs and made sure my proteins were met. I also upped my fruits and veggies so I wouldn't crave ultra sweet things. Hope this helps!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My weight loss stopped when I started running seriously because I am so dang hungry all the time.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    15 mpw and below with moderate diet = my weight stays the same
    20 - 25 mpw with moderate diet = i lose roughly .5 lb per week
    30+ mpw with moderate diet = no such thing.

When I'm solidly in the 30+ i gain weight. My hunger out weighs my calorie burn.

When I'm at 25 mpw and below i am able to be more regimented about doing 2 hours of body weight strength workouts a week. At 30+ i only have time for running and yoga.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    You're female?

Good luck.

OMG ... and when I asked other runners if they felt hungry and sleepy the day they ran they told me "drink coffee" .... I thought I was the only one....
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options

When I'm solidly in the 30+ i gain weight. My hunger out weighs my calorie burn.

When I'm at 25 mpw and below i am able to be more regimented about doing 2 hours of body weight strength workouts a week. At 30+ i only have time for running and yoga.

^ I completely agree. Last week I ran 35miles and gained a pound. Every week I run more than 30 I gain.
    I lose the most right around 18mpw
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I lose weight very easily on 1600 calories per day and 15 to 25 miles per week when training for half marathons.

Like others mentioned, I also experienced weight gain when I upped my mileage and trained for a marathon.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    At what miles per week did you start to see the weight coming off?

I guess I would say right around 20/25-30 miles a week I found it really hard to keep weight on at all. During marathon training I lost 5-7 lbs easily. (To put this in perspective, on regular running/weight training and eating carefully, this would take me close to a year because I'm just small and my body doesn't want to give up anything.) It was too much and it was alarming for me to lose so much in 2-3 months.

Where you watching what you were eating? and how many calories were you eating?

I do watch what I eat and keep portions sensible, but I never went on binges. I made sure to have a protein recovery shake after each run or workout. I had sensible meals with a good balance of proteins and carbs and veggies. I didn't really eat a ton of sweets though your body craves sugar/carbs like nobody's business.

Where you doing any other workout than running?

During marathon training I didn't do much strength training and part of my weight loss, I'm sure, was muscle loss. I find I am happier when I'm doing some strength training. I'm currently training for a half marathon and doing Kaia Fit bootcamp classes 3 or 4 times a week. I'll be doing these bootcamp classes also with marathon training again later this year and hopefully I won't drop weight quite so drastically.

For me, curbing my appetite (because there were definitely days I felt like a T-Rex and wanted to eat everything in sight) worked best when I ate lots of complex carbs and made sure my proteins were met. I also upped my fruits and veggies so I wouldn't crave ultra sweet things. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed response
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    My weight loss stopped when I started running seriously because I am so dang hungry all the time.

Yep I think that is my problem LOL
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

20 - 25 mpw seems to be the magic number I thin I am below that right now and my weight seems to be staying the same and not going anywhere.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

^ I completely agree. Last week I ran 35miles and gained a pound. Every week I run more than 30 I gain.
    I lose the most right around 18mpw

so it looks like 25 to 30 is the key