Olympic Lifting Classes

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
Last night was my gym's first Olympic lifting class. Obviously we have worked on Olympic lifting a lot in the past but this was the first time that lifting was the sole focus of the class. My gym is doing the classes twice a week and for the first few weeks at least one class will focus on the snatch and one will focus on the clean. I am terrible at the snatch and one class did not cure all my issues but I do feel like I got a few good tips that I can use in the future to get better. I am super excited to keep working on these movements.

Does your gym have specific Olympic lifting classes? If so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We have the olympic lifting classes a couple of times a week, but I haven't attended one yet. Everyone that does says how much they have helped with form. Keep trying it, one class is never enough :)
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My box has a huge focus on oly lifting anyway but we don't have specific classes. Would be awesome if we did, but coz we generally do clean, jerk and snatch at least once a week as a strength component already I doubt it's something they'll add in. We do so much lifting and barbell work that they had to introduce a couple barbell free classes each week!
    I do one PT session per week though just to work on oly lifting and have done for the last year or so. It's great and definitely helps.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    We just added one on Tuesdays nights and one on Saturday mornings. I go to the Sat. morning one because I work Tuesdays. I have also attended olympic lifting classes in another town in Montana with a couple of really seasoned coaches who are former Olympians and national champions. I feel like it does really help. My snatch is not great due to my OHS position and a weak wrist, but I definitely think these sessions are helping me with my WODs and I feel super comfortable now with any sessions with olympic lifting in them.

We just had several people compete at the other box I was talking about and 21 of us (competitors and spectators) traveled the 100 miles to attend. It was super fun and it has been good to connect with the folks in my box who are more interested in developing their strength training and lifting than simply doing metcons. I love it and look forward to doing more!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    No we don't.

But they do program in lifting days where we don't do a sweaty WOD and focus in stead on doing more complex lifts. Today was such a day: 1RM snatch and pause clean + jerk.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, our box does 2 every week, like yours. Snatch Saturday and Clean & Jerk Sunday. I am planning on starting those classes in the next few weeks :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I got up to 195 lbs on my clean and jerk today; a 15 lb PR! I was very excited to say the least.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, welldone!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Yes we have specific Barbell classes - focusing on a specific lift every session. So good to get your technique sorted.