Shocked!

Options
jkern9110
jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
Pre-op I did tons of research...read anything I could get my hands on and watched animated depictions of surgery. I knew that I wouldn't be able to watch and actual surgery...that it would just freak me out too much. Well, boy am I glad that I never watched it. Curiosity got the best of me today and I pulled up a video to see what it looked like when they "improved" my insides. I made the right choice in only watching animated surgeries pre-op.

Suprisingly, I only got nauseated when they inflated the abdominal cavity with carbon dioxide and not because it was particularly graphic. I just remember that the carbon dioxide trying to escape my body was the most painful part of the surgery and remembering that pain sickened me.

No one ever told me about that part pre-op. What would you tell someone about your surgery that no one told you?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    By the time I had my sleeve surgery I had already had 4 kids, one tubal ligation, my gallbladder removed (the old fashioned way with a huge incision), and several other major and minor surgeries. In other words, I had had so many surgeries that I never even noticed the "gas" trying to escape. :laugh: I think the only thing that truly surprised me was the Unjury I had to drink after. In fact it was so thick and sweet, I just couldn't do it. So I would share that, that you will have to be able to drink and keep down protein shakes before you go home so they know you will be getting some nutrition when you are released.
  • sadiegrrl
    sadiegrrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because of an issue with my pancreas, my surgeon decided once he was in there to do the sleeve rather than RNY. Because I was expecting RNY, that was where I centred my own research.

I found that almost all of the information I had gotten from my clinic was RNY-specific, probably because the RNY is the default here if there are no contraindications. I had to do a lot of my own research afterwards, and I found it helpful to talk to VSG veterans because I was finding my experience so different from what I was given to expect.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would have wanted to know that I would have MAJOR mood swings a a good bit of "buyer's remorse" for about the first 3 weeks postop. I was a MESS emotionally.
  • sadiegrrl
    sadiegrrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good point, Thaeda!
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes, I did a TON of research so I was prepared for everything besides the emotions!!! I had no idea this would affect me so much- one day I'm extremely happy because I realize that I will finally, for the first time in my life be able to accomplish the one thing that has held me back. THEN the next moment I realize, I've been focusing on the weight for so long... I have no idea who I will be when it's actually off. Also, looking at recipes (I love to cook) and wondering if I'll ever be able to eat those things again (I know I will in time). These emotions are so exhausting lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I would have wanted to know that I would have MAJOR mood swings a a good bit of "buyer's remorse" for about the first 3 weeks postop. I was a MESS emotionally.

Thaeda, I have heard this from several people, so know you were not alone. I didn't experience that. What I experienced was a lack of interest in eating at all for a long time. I really just didn't care, but ate because I knew I had to.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I, too, had some emotions to deal with those first few weeks. For the first week, post-op I didn't want to talk to anyone. My boyfriend was really concerned, but I was sort of in shock I guess. The second week, I still didn't say much, but was beginning to see the light again. The third week, my boyfriend said, "Ahhh, there you are!" There was just so much to process post-op. It was like I was immediately forced to face all of my emotions that had lead me to rely on food to cope with those emotions. I didn't have my coping mechanism anymore. But I won the battle and made it through and am so much better for it now. I would say that this journey has been 20% physical change and 80% emotional change. So I definitely agree that I wasn't prepared for the emotional rollercoaster either.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch a sleeve surgery (animated or real) at all before surgery. I was too scared. i finally did watch one about two month out (I'm six now) and I was surprisingly ok with it. I cringed a little as I watched the stapler do it's thing on the stomach.

The gas inflation was something I wish I'd known more about pre-op. I did know about it, but didn't realize how uncomfortable it would be as it was trying to escape. For me, too, it was the most painful part. I did really well once I was home even without pain meds. I am allergic to the "good stuff" so they said liquid Tylenol was my only option. That does nothing for me so I skipped it. I am lucky I didn't have any pain. Just a bit of discomfort. The gas pain was terrible, though. It was usually in my shoulder and I felt like I wanted to die the first few days.
  • saylexa713
    Options
    I would definitely tell ppl about the gas pains! To me, it was excruciating pain... The first 2 days then it tapered down...lotsa walking and belching required...and 2 days of acid reflux ... Yuk... Other than that... Not so bad, lol
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Thaeda, I have heard this from several people, so know you were not alone. I didn't experience that. What I experienced was a lack of interest in eating at all for a long time. I really just didn't care, but ate because I knew I had to.
    I can't WAIT for this! I hope it happens to me!
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves that most surgeons don't warn their patients about the moodiness. Part of it is the anesthesia - I had no idea that can linger in your bloodstream for weeks. Add in some pain killers, lack of sleep, turning your life upside down, physical trauma, and you're already prone to a bit of weepiness. But we store a lot of hormones in our fat cells. In the early weeks of rapid weight loss, whoosh ... that's all dumped into your bloodstream. So yeah, a lot of us are going to be pretty emotional for a few weeks. It's nice if you know to expect it, and can warn your husband to expect it too!
    I'd also want everyone to know (1) you gain weight in the hospital because they pump you full of fluids, and can take a week or more to get back to your pre-op weight, (2) MOST people hit a stall at about 3 weeks post-op. It does NOT mean you're never going to lose any more weight, and (3) You're not going to lose all your weight in 3 months. You'll lose more rapidly at first, and then more slowly each month as you get closer to goal, with probably stalls in between. And there are at least 20 factors that impact how fast YOU will lose compared to others.