Cervical Length

Options
This has nothing to do with fitness, and all with pregnancy.

I am curious, what was your cervical length when you went in for your 20 week ultrasound?

Mine was 3.2 which my doc said was fine, but I read that 4-5 is normal range.

Anyone have similar measurements?

Replies

• redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mine shortened a little between week 20/22. Yesterday, at week 23, it hadnt changed in the last week. Measurement is about 3.4 and doctor said that is normal as well. I am being monitored every two weeks due to the shortening between week 20 and 22. Are you being monitored?
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Nope, not being monitored. Feel like I should though, e-mailed OB, she said it's fine and not to worry.

I always worry :)
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the exact measurements were, but I was put on pelvic rest for a too short cervix at around 6-7 months. That kept my cervix from continuing to shorten. After a few weeks I was taken off of full pelvic rest and told to just take it easy. I wasn't working at the time and exhausted so that was easy enough to do.

My daughter was born 1 day after my due date completely healthy and happy.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, and this pregnancy I'm being monitored for spotting and my placenta being too low at 20 weeks. I keep meaning to ask my doctor (different doctor) to check my cervix length, but forgot at my last appointment.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't think they checked. I will make sure I ask them to at the next appointment
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what my cervical length is. They didn't say, I didn't ask.
    I guess it probably means I am fine if they never said anything, right?,
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what my cervical length is. They didn't say, I didn't ask.
    I guess it probably means I am fine if they never said anything, right?,

Same. Absolutely no idea, and this is my third.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Cervical Length is checked so that the baby doesn't come preterm due to an incompetent cervix.

They check at your 12/13 and 20 week appointments via ultrasound and it's possible that they would not tell you if everything is fine.

I actually asked, and mine seemed a bit low at 3.2 compared to the average 4-5 so I was curious if other women knew what theirs was.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I opted not to have my cervical length checked. It was something that was discussed with my new midwife at my first appointment. With my previous two births 8 and 5 years ago, it was not a standard procedure I am assuming. I had a surgery on my cervix 13 years ago and the midwife told me that standard now would be to do an ultrasound to check length through out the pregnancy. She allowed me to get by with not wasting the money on the procedure due to the fact that I carried both my sons to term with no complications. I personally feel like it is one more thing that the like to throw out there to worry moms, but again that is just my personally opinion.
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It is not necessarily just one more thing that is thrown out to worry moms =) I had a missed miscarriage and had to have a D&C procedure. That procedure, along with other things like LEEPS etc, can actually damage your cervix or literally decrease the length. Some people are high risk for very clear reasons. I think that the average person that has not had any of those things is typically good-to-go. I don't think that there is a good reason to go out of your way to have the length checked it if you don't have a history that would possibly flag you for a shortened cervix.