Pre Op Protein Shake Diet

Options
Ok ,so maybe I'm ranting a bit because I am hungry but these shakes my doctor has me on are horrible. I have mastered a concoction to get them down but this cant be life. Today is day 6 of nothing but shakes , water , and the occasional serving of sugar free jello and or sugar free popsicle. I'm miserable. Then I learn not every doctor requires this. So frustrating. I know I'm making the right decisions to better my life in the future but I sure hope I can find a protein shake post op that i'll like.

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What brand does your doctor have you on? I am sampling drinks and powders now so I know what I hate and what I like when surgery comes. I just had my first Premier Protein pre-made chocolate and it was pretty good. You can get them at Costco. They also sold an ON pre-made chocolate but I couldn't find any reviews on it so skipped it. There are so many out there that I bet you can find one you like. I am planning a trip to The Vitamin Shoppe so I can buy individual servings of a variety of brands to test them out.

Good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I hated all the shakes I liked pre-op! Post surg. I also liked the premier protein snack shake from SAMs club. If you have a Kroger, I really recommend the carbmaster skim milk. They have plain, vanilla and chocolate. Plain and vanilla are 60 cals and 11g of protein a cup. Chocolate is 80 cals and 11 G protein a cup. I can't recommend the carbmaster yogurt, it is revolting. I use the skim milk in all my cooking and my coffee to boost my protein. I don't eat wheat, rice or potato anymore, they just don't have the nutrition to offset their high calories. I eat beans and use bean and lentil flours to boost my protein. Fish is also excellent to boost your protein when you are on soft foods.
  • lizadaze
    lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I found that I like Unjury protein the best. Vanilla is my go to and I enjoy it and can flavor however I want. You also get 29 grams of protein when milked with one cup of skim milk. I also really like BariWise protein fruit drink mixes (pineapple my favorite) that you mix with water. They have 15 grams of protein and are very light, more like juice or punch, but with protein. I order both online at Unjury.com and at dietdirect.com.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had nothing but Glucerna and Diabetic Boost for a month before my surgery and nothing else. I hated it. About halfway through, my consumption of these dropped because I just could drink any more of them. But this too passed and now I don't even think about it. Mind you, you could not get me to drink another Glucerna or Boost if you held a gun to my head. Well, if you held an actual gun to my head, I probably would drink it, but I wouldn't like it ;)
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    You are so funny, I feel the same about injury strawberry, loved it then post surgery, gaaag!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad I don't have to do this! My preop diet is SO doable!
    As far as shakes go though, I do like to drink them occasionally to ensure I hit my protein requirement.

So far I REALLY like the Bariatric Choice ones. I've had orange cream, and chocolate so far.
    I also like syntrax nectar, cherry, crystal sky and grape.

Good luck,and just keep telling yourself, this isn't forever!
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    As far as shakes go though, I do like to drink them occasionally to ensure I hit my protein requirement.

So far I REALLY like the Bariatric Choice ones. I've had orange cream, and chocolate so far.

When I go to a party I make a huge shake with Chike banana and carbmaster skim milk and take it with me. That way when cake and cookies, punch and pastries are going around I feel satisfied. I just tell everyone I am allergic to wheat and sticking to my banana milkshake.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

When I go to a party I make a huge shake with Chike banana and carbmaster skim milk and take it with me. That way when cake and cookies, punch and pastries are going around I feel satisfied. I just tell everyone I am allergic to wheat and sticking to my banana milkshake.

That's a great idea! I need to find this Chike brand i've been reading about!
    So far i've tried:
    Click (YUM! VERY Coffee tasting! But I have to stick to decaf, since i'm not doing caffiene at the moment)
    Syntrax Nectar (LOVE the juice ones, but not the cappucino or chocolate)
    Syntrax Matrix (Meh, not my fave, won't buy it again, GLAD I bought samples to try! LOL)
    Bariatric Advantage (One of my faves so far! I like that it's creamy)
    Dyna Whey (In Canada, I like it, but it has caffiene in it, so i'm not using it right now)
    Ideal Protien (Wayyyyy too expensive)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For me the pre-op stuff was way worse than post-op, (and I had an "easy 5 days") of liquids just prior to surgery. Keep your eye on the prize, you'll be on the other side before you know it!
  • almorris0417
    Options
    Its called ultramet original. I hate them...I mean chocolate isnt so bad w/ a dash of peppermint extract...but i cant wait to just get off them. i swear its been the longest 2 weeks of my life. I know it is going to be worth it but ugggh i want real food .
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    My surgeon has different pre- op requirements for different pts. If your liver is very big and may interfere with laparoscopic surgery he may require the longer liquid phase. Because if he can't do it laparoscopically he will have to do it the old fashioned way. You sign the release to allow it cause insurance isn't gonna pay to do 2 surgeries. Better to shrink that liver down and avoid the big scar and longer recovery. Personally I think the liquid fast patients do extra well because they are more psychologically prepared for restriction and lose a great deal of weight prior to surgery.