First side effect experience

Options
I am on day one of eating soft foods. I was a little too excited and ate a little too fast. Well I ended up with a pain in my chest for 20 minutes and so I drank something to see if I could clear whatever was stuck and there goes my food. I brought it all back up. Lesson learned I will eat slower from now on. Anyone have suggestions on their eating habits?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We all have to learn this lesson. Some of us are slower. I did this about once a week for first 3 months. Never vomited til 4th month. Most of the time it was with chicken. I stlll shy away from chicken that is not very wet or ground. Chicken just seems to mat up, especially since you are not drinking. My advice is ground meat
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    It's a lesson I've learned too. Or at least I'm trying to learn it. One thing that works for me is to use cocktail size forks and spoons or toddler size. I bought some nice metal cocktail forks and spoons for about $2 each at cost plus world market.
  • VSGJill1481
    VSGJill1481 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used a timer until eating slow became the norm for me. I would take a bite of food every 2 minutes.
  • merobles827
    Options
    Thank you, all great suggestions. I will be getting smaller utensils and a bit every 2 minutes should help me pace myself. I think my mistake was I woke didn't drink anything before I ate. I think I need to drink first wait 30 then eat something. I was too anxious to put something in. Can't do that again.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As hard as I tried to avoid this after hearing stories I still did it. One day I was talking and distracted an ate my turkey roll up too quick. UGH! Now I know to be very focused when I'm eating, if I'm having a conversation with someone I put my food down.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I used a timer until eating slow became the norm for me. I would take a bite of food every 2 minutes.

I did the same thing, a bite every two minutes and put my fork down between bites. Really helped me learn to pace myself, and I haven't had an occasion of eating too fast. I also use children's size utensils, and that helps.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Wait until you eat that "one more bite" and it shoots back out!! Lots of little lessons to learn, almost all will be unique to you. Others will have similar experiences but each person gets thier own little learning curve. Best advice; eat slow and chew thoroughly.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use the Eat Slower app on my phone. I set it for the interval I want (45 seconds) and it chimes to let me know when to take a bite.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I use the Eat Slower app on my phone. I set it for the interval I want (45 seconds) and it chimes to let me know when to take a bite.

Thank you, I just got this for my phone!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 3 years out and I still find myself eating way too fast sometimes. And yes, the air it creates in the tummy is painful. Usually if you can burp, it eases. Unfortunately for me, feeling like I need to burp is my "cue" that I'm full. I've found that once I feel like I need to burp, I need to stop eating. Even if I do burp, eating more at that point is overfilling my stomach and I will lose the "too much". I usually don't lose the whole meal, just the too much. So if I ate too fast and am full of air, I am still done eating at that point. Rather have less food than be sick, you know?
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options

There really is an app for everything. I'm getting it now :-)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Slower is better. Also, try eating with a baby spoon for a while. That will help slow you down as well. Weighing\measuring your food will help you not over eat too. Someone gave me great advice last week. She said, "never eat the last bite on your plate, ever". I'm trying to live that now because it's that last bite or 2 that get me every time!