Knee Pain-Help!

Options
heel_striker
heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
I have been running off and on for about 3 years, the 'off' portions have been due to various injuries. Last October i was fitted for orthotics and I have been working with a chiropractor since and all of my injuries have resolved themselves. I trained for my first half and completed it mid March. Since then i have run a 5k and 10k race (last weekend), my weekend runs since the half have been 10ks. I have my second half in 2 weeks, so yesterday I tried to run between 18-20km, or that was the plan. About 7km into the run my knees started to hurt on the outside of the knee, the pain got progressively worse, I stopped stretched out my IT band and tried to run again, it got so bad that i had to stop. I got home, took an epsom salt bath, foam rolled the IT bands and took an anti-inflammatory. Later on in the day my hip flexors started to hurt. Pain is still there today when I walk and my knees feel weak like they could give out any time especially on stairs. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what happened?

I did not change anything, runners, route etc. I felt very strong other than the knees. Note: i have never had a specific knee issue in the past.

Kind of baffled as to why this happened... and would like to be able to run the half i have scheduled in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I would say that sounds like a classic case of IT band syndrome.
  • heel_striker
    Options
    That's what I was afraid of. Assume stretching, foam rolling and rest is what i need to do to fix it?
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    FWIW I get the same pain occasionally after a run if I have poor stride posture. Namely if I heel strike a lot. I'm not qualified to diagnose it, but you are not alone.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    As you more or less say the knee is almost always the symptom not the problem. ITBS is typically the outside of the knee and usually the upper part of the outside. ITBS is not just from tight IT bands. Tight hip flexors (which you mention) and pirifomris can contribute to ITBS, as can gait. I'd add hip flexor and piriformis stretching to the mix
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I have had ITBS issues and was told it is mostly caused by hip issues. I have had massages and chiropractic treatments but what really helped was Bikram yoga practice on a regular basis.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Concentrating on form and strength (Glute and Hip) are the only things that help me with my IT band.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have been running off and on for about 3 years, the 'off' portions have been due to various injuries. Last October i was fitted for orthotics and I have been working with a chiropractor since and all of my injuries have resolved themselves. I trained for my first half and completed it mid March. Since then i have run a 5k and 10k race (last weekend), my weekend runs since the half have been 10ks. I have my second half in 2 weeks, so yesterday I tried to run between 18-20km, or that was the plan. About 7km into the run my knees started to hurt on the outside of the knee, the pain got progressively worse, I stopped stretched out my IT band and tried to run again, it got so bad that i had to stop. I got home, took an epsom salt bath, foam rolled the IT bands and took an anti-inflammatory. Later on in the day my hip flexors started to hurt. Pain is still there today when I walk and my knees feel weak like they could give out any time especially on stairs. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what happened?

I did not change anything, runners, route etc. I felt very strong other than the knees. Note: i have never had a specific knee issue in the past.

Kind of baffled as to why this happened... and would like to be able to run the half i have scheduled in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds very much like ITBS.

A key indicator with ITBS is that the pain is noticeable when the knee is bent at a 20º angle. Second, the pain is on the very outside of the knee.

I strongly recommend that you go here:

http://www.runningwritings.com

Click on "The Injury Series" and read and follow out the guidance in the appropriate article.

I've read lots about running and have had a few overuse injuries. The data available at runningwritings.com is superb and it's the best I've seen anywhere.

Personally, I rehabbed my left Achilles using the exercises suggested at runningwritings.com and I've had great results.
  • heel_striker
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! The chiropractor said it was ITBS. After looking at my shoes she said to ditch them. I've only had them for 6 months so i didn't think that was the cause. But out they go now. I will do work on my hips and start yoga to help with this!