New and looking for friends with open diaries

Options
TheLittleFangs
TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
Hiya!! *waves*

I am Lucy and am a very new vegan. I am hoping for some new friends to add to my friends I have who are vegan and helpful. I slipped up today by eating a bread product that contained milk, and I am really annoyed about it. Who puts milk in bread. Anyhow I would love some open diaried friends to swap ideas and recipies with. I am using ohsheglows for ideas too.

Replies

• EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucy & welcome to the vegan world. I'm vegan for less than a year & learned a lot on here. Don't beat yourself up about the bread. It happens. I've noticed that sometimes foods that you wouldn't expect have nonfat milk solids, whey or casein or other dairy stuff in them. Anyhoo, I'm adding you as a friend. Hope you accept.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for over 20 years, but vegan less than a year, although I usually describe myself as plant-based to those in the know...I am not very detailed with it, but I do read labels and avoid eating dairy, eggs, and meat. :) I focus on whole foods. My diary is open. Feel free to add me if you wish! :)
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Vegan, and pretty sure my diary is open. I do a lot of meals from happy herbivore cookbooks and her meal plans. Slip ups happen, but you'll get good at scanning the ingredients :)

You can also try the "is it vegan" phone app. Scan the barcode and usually it will tell you.
  • quagga2007
    quagga2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Littlefang! (Cute username! and even cuter avatar!) I've been vegan for 25 years. I'll send you a friend request and then you can see my food diary. Congratulations on going vegan!

I used to really be into elaborate vegan recipes, but lately have just opted for simple recipes that involve the least effort. My go to sources for low or moderate calorie recipes are - the cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and the fatfreevegan blog (not her general site) for the tag - "ridiculously easy". I have also started making the not-so-low-calorie easy cheeses from The Gentle Chef's cookbook The Non-Dairy Formulary. I was never a big cheese fan, but my vegan friends find these cheeses incredibly satisfying (which helps them stay vegan and not succumb to the feeling that they are deprived of cow's milk cheese), so I make them and eat just tiny portions for myself. (The main ingredients in these recipes are soymilk, coconut oil (calorie bombs!), and tapioca flour.)

I agree with others who have advised that you don't beat yourself up on the bread. I am vegan for ethical reasons and my main desire is to see a reduction in animal suffering. By far the greatest reduction in suffering happens when you remove the overt animal products from your plate and when you thrive on such a diet. Worrying too much over the fine print makes you much more likely to stop attempting to be vegan -- get the big stuff right at first and the small stuff will follow if you feel it's important. Also, after you read labels for a while, you will learn which store products are vegan-friendly and your shopping patterns will become automatic. My label reading time is virtually nil at this time because I know which items are vegan.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. Adding you all :):flowerforyou:
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm always interested in sharing with newcomers and vets. Especially those who are active in cycling and running (although I place diet higher in the ranking).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you wish
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about finding out after that something contains milk, bread, etc. I've been trying to eat vegan for over a year now and I'm still learning to read those labels just a little bit closer and even now I still find myself saying "I had no idea that was in there!" I have an open diary, I'm not 100% with logging and not always 100% with eating vegan and will be adding some supplements to my diet that aren't considered vegan either, but I'm always open to a new FR!
  • 2BlkLabs2
    2BlkLabs2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for fellow vegans for support!

I'm vegan for the animals and the more I read, the more grossed out I got and just couldn't eat that stuff anymore. I do miss cheese the most. But there are some really good alternatives. Check out daiya website and sometimes you can get coupons. It's expensive. You would think things should be cheaper if there are no animal products involved. Sometimes it's hard. They sneak that stuff in everywhere. I just figure it might be harder for me to weed out all the animal products, but it's even harder for the animals to end up that way.

You probably already know this, but here are some links of my favorite sites:

http://www.theppk.com/

http://ohsheglows.com/

http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/

http://www.maplespice.com/

http://happyherbivore.com/ (cheesecake recipe that is the greatest I've found)

Also, I just checked out some vegan cookbooks through the library. Dreena Burton has a great one and of course Isa Chandra Moskowitz is the vegan goddess of recipes.
  • sebj93
    sebj93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    7 months of Vegan living :) - it's my favourite thing in the world!

Looking for fellow vegan friends if anyone is interested? I have open diary ;)

I am trying to slim down my remaining body-fat (which I have been shedding for years!!) and gain muscle.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Looking for open vegan diaries as well, a lot of my current friends seem to hardly eat...and I eat....well this last week was rough cause work was busy....but... :)
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for decades.... I am trying to rethink some of my eating habits and exercise more... so far so good. vegan friends are always welcome... its nice to have a commuity of friends on here to share ideas with.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Friend me! I love bouncing food ideas off other veggies!!
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Me too!

I'd love to see what other vegans are eating.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I am also new to the Vegan life! :o))
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I consider myself vegetarian since I am 99% vegan at home but I'll eat vegetarian when we eat out if I cannot order anything vegan.