Pregnancy Acne- Getting it under control?

Options
Hi everyone, I am currently 9 weeks preggos and starting to get the oily skin and pregnancy acne?
I'm sure that there is something I can do about it that doesn't involve harsh chemicals/ antibiotics on my face. What have others used with success to calm the oily skin and acne?
Thanks,
Teresa

Replies

• ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to hear some thoughts as well. I've been having awful breakouts since I found out I was pregnant and nothing seems to be helping. I started using the Boots brand facewash, serum and moisturizer but none of it helped. I know people say to stay away from salacilic acid but my Dr. advised as long as it's under 2% and doesn't stay on your face for a long period of time you can use it, so I've been back to my nuetrogena stress control and have been liking it a lot.
  • justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I searched different forums high and low for help on this. My face looks like a grease slick an hour after I've washed it and I have so many zits I look like a 15 year old. I finally got the plain jane nothing fancy Cetaphil. Just the daily face wash. I had been using their oil free foam wash and oil free moisturizer before but the daily face wash seems to help a bit more. I still have breakouts but they are nothing compared to what I had. I hope it helps in your search. I think this is just one of the many joys of pregnancy.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. I know it sounds counterproductive to put oil on a face that is breaking out but it works. Just rub it into your skin after you wash your face, only use enough so that it soaks into your skin and doesn't leave a coating of oil on your face. It really does work and your skin will be so soft.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used proactiv with my first , now second I use cetaphil oily skin one
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    In had acne so bad as a teenager. I tried everything - from the natural products my grandma suggested to the chemicals. What ended up working for me in the end - water. I would splash my face with cold water in the morning and clean with just cold water. Throughout the day, just if I remembered, I would splash and rinse my face with cold water (like after washing my hands, after using the restroom). Then, at night I would use a microfiber cloth and super hot water and steam my face, followed by cold water again.
    Heat opens your pores and cold closes them. Keep this in mind regardless of what product, if any, you decide to use. Open your pores before washing your face and always use cold to close them again when you are done so oil and dirt don't get right back in.
    I found water only worked fantastic for me - I never found a face product that did. Everyone is different, you are going to have to find what works for you.

As far as pregnancy acne goes, that is one of the few wonderful things pregnancy does for me. My face has never been clearer and brighter than it is while I am pregnant. I glow! Yea!
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My husband is a dermatologist and we have talked about this subject at length. I used to use retin-a, but stopped when we began trying to get pregnant. Then I used products with salicylic acid until I knew for sure I was pregnant. Once I found out I was pregnant, I stopped using all products for the most part (except a very mild cleaner like neutragena clean while in the shower). I went through a transition period where my complexion got bad, but it eventually got better. Hopefully, if you stop using all products then "downside" will be short.
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I finally found something that has worked wonders on my pregnancy acne. Cetaphil DermaControl Foaming Face Wash and DermaContro Moisturizer no harsh chemicals and for acne prone skin, no acne medication in it so it is okay to use during pregnancy (I checked) and it has amazingly already started clearing up the problem areas so happy! Just an FYI for all those otther ladies that are having this issue I highly recommend this product!
    Thanks for all your feedback!:bigsmile: