Exercising.

Options
Hi, I don't know if there is anyone visiting this group anymore - I might be talking to myself, but here goes...

I have done 8 miles walking in total this week but at nearly 28stone its very difficult (obviously this goes without saying) Yesterday, I was out walking and I felt like I was literally dragging myself along. Today I haven't been able to get out so far, as my hip feels like its locking and my calves are killing.. I might go out tonight even if its only a short walk.

I would love to go swimming, but I cannot take the shame of going to a public swimming pool.

I'm interested to know of any other ways you guys have found to exercise without over-working the knees etc? Or any tips to make exercising less painful?

I've looked online for supports that I could use to support my large stomach while working out but haven't found anything suitable

Replies

• mdawson2112
    mdawson2112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I use a treadmill because walking on a normal surface hurts my legs and hips. Any place near you, that you can join?
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Hello!!! there IS SOMEONE there!!!

I cannot afford gym membership and I'm too embarrassed to go to the gym, I have even been walking mostly under the cover of darkness, walking around the streets :laugh:

I have found it is getting a lot easier and it's just been over a week. I managed 11 miles in total last week which is a small start. I'm just trying to find routes that don't have steep hills because those and steps send shooting pains thru my knees. Uneven pavements are really hurting my hips.. but it is getting easier so ill just keep at it :happy:

I'm determined this time as I am doing The Thames Path Challenge in Sept.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My plan is to shed a big chunk of weight with caloric restriction before starting the cardio. At my present weight significant exercise is seriously painful and potentially injurious. After I've come down to a level thats less troublesome I can exercise less painfully.
  • DJLMB
    DJLMB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Heya :) Big tummy problem here too, it's so frustrating! I'm also too paranoid to go to the gym or swimming yet... soon though..I have a spanx type top that I wear sometimes that might do the job if you paired it with some spanx shorts - it's like an underbust dress type thing that completely covered my tummy, effectively holding it down rather than 'supporting' but less jiggle less pain I found. Looks like this -

http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/gok-wan-ultimate-multiway-sculpt/MM053/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=9433&promo=6200&cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-SimplyBe-_-Product Feeds-_-na&gclid=CP_Qvvu49r0CFTMetAodATUAOw&gclsrc=aw.ds#colour:Ebony,size:32

I don't have any advice regarding the leg pain issues, but with exercise generally, there are a lot of great chair exercises that, at our weights, would still burn calories on days when your legs are hurting? The ones that come to mind are the air boxing type things?

Also, that walk looks great so thanks for mentioning it! I have friends in London I might be able to stay with.. I'd love to be able to say I walked 25km in a day!!
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been doing walking videos on YouTube in my living room. I try walking outside and I too, feel like I'm dragging. It's so painful & I feel like I'm gonna collapse. Maybe I feel more secure in the living room knowing there's a chair nearby? I can do a one mile walk video indoors, but barely make a 10th of a mile outside. That spanx idea sounds good. Today I think I'll cut the legs off a pair of pantyhose and see if that curtails the jiggling.

Also, when I walk outside I have to endure people driving past me and staring or shouting "hey fat *kitten*" at me. That makes me so paranoid and affects my walking. In the safety of my living room the dog gives me dirty looks, but that's about it! Good luck everybody --- just try and keep at it!!
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Thanks guys! Sorry for late reply - you can't see them on the app great it's nice to know there's people out there who understand :-D yea I'm doing the walk for a friends charity but I decided to do it to motivate me to lose weight with the charity part being a bonus! One person donated £100 and I just cannot fail now. Then I told my best friend I wanted to do it but I didn't know if I could and she signed up too!

Yesterday, I tested myself... I wanted to see what I was physically capable of. I tried to walk to a friends house who lives 10miles away. I nearly made it. I got 7.48 miles, with a few stops lasting 5mins, before I couldn't go any further and what really annoyed me was it was cramp, foot blisters and running out of water that stopped me. I hurt today, I'm walking like I pooed myself but I made myself do nearly 3miles today. On the way, I had about 4 separate ppl shout abuse at me and it made my cry as I went but it made me just dig in and keep dragging myself along. I'm glad I didn't make it because when I do, success will be sweeter!

I only started walking nearly 2 weeks ago and it is greeting a bit easiler but stomach is a big issue really hurts my pelvis and lower back when it even stand more than 5mins. I have a support top thing but it's too small.

I have found planning walking roots to have flat, even ground reduces a lot of pain.

My family are very unsupportive so thanks guys for your replies it really is amazing that we can all support each other xx
  • amys505
    amys505 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, there.

I'm so sincerely impressed by the fact that you were able to make it 7 miles! That's incredible!

I find that some days I have a lot more energy than others, and I've never found much connection as to why that is. I do know that I experience a lot less cramping and pain if I'm well hydrated before I start to exercise. For me, that does make a ton of difference.

Also, I looked up classes at a local community college, and registered for a tap dancing class. The nice thing is that the teacher is teaching you moves during some of it, so it's not all exercise, and that's a pace that I can handle. I'm easily the biggest person there, but it motivates me because I can see myself improving and I like dancing around to music.

I hope this response helps, and that you're able to give yourself credit for the amazing job you're already doing!
    ~Amy
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Awww thanks! Yea I drink loads. I think it's just something I have to put up with for a while. It is slowly getting easier. I get the same thing with energy levels but I am sleeping so much better and energy has increased slightly. I think the hardest part really is just staying motivated and trying to make the activity habit rather than a challenge.
  • Valereee
    Options
    Yes, 7 miles is amazing!!!! I'm so sorry you had to endure such torture from strangers. I've even had people take pictures of me with their camera phones. So just ignore them and do this for yourself! You're doing so well. Today I couldn't even finish the ONE mile video in my own living room! I had to sit down, rest, and finish it later. Keep up the great work!!!!
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    That's awful! I don't get those peoples' mentality, I mean I don't ever lean out of my car and shout insults at people with big noses or whatever.. it's just weird. I used to get upset when I was younger but now it doesn't bother me that much because I just think of the sort of person who feels compelled to do it... not worth anyone's time.

Well done for being motivated to do it and your amazing weight loss so far!!!!! it's very inspiring :-D I've been focusing more on just getting my *kitten* off the sofa and so what if I'm stopping to rest or wheezing my way along. It's better than sitting down eating cake..lol

Going to get weighed tomorrow eeeek.
  • Erica_Nichols
    Options
    Hello! Wow, lots of really supportive people her. I am also looking for exercise ideas. Unfortunately, I suffer from meralgia paresthetica (a numbing feeling on the outer part of my thigh); it's caused from obesity or excess walking. I went to Disney World in March and that's when it started. So, walking is out for me. I am thinking of getting a peddler. A peddler is a little devise that you can put on the floor and peddle with your feet, or put on a table and peddle with your hands.

I am really excited about this because it'll be great for exercise and circulation, without me having to put weight on my leg. Plus, I can do it at home, in a comfy chair, while watching t.v. Has anyone else tried these things?
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    A peddler seems like a great idea! I might try that too! my knees can sometimes get really painful, and I'm sure because its so low impact could probably go faster to increase the heart rate more? plus it would be easier to get more activity in when watching TV.

I haven't walked for a few weeks now, feeling really deflated about it... I get really bored just walking around where I live.
  • loving_london
    loving_london Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to pride myself on being a relatively fit heavy person but ever since topping 400 lbs I can't walk much. My back hurts and I'm a sweaty mess just walking across the street. I really want to be able to walk again.

Right now I try to use my ab doer twist machine and Zumba DVD. I can't do much but I follow along and can build up a sweat.
  • LimaMikeJuliet
    Options
    Hey Loving London! I know how you feel! I'm 28 stone. At least you used to be fit! :-D I was always unfit but in the last year I've had to face some hard truths. Like you said, when I walk anywhere now my back kills... well more my pelvis... I think its the weight of my stomach pulling it forward/downwards.

I have had enough and it's starting to get really embarrassing around friends.. im creeping along huffing and owing and sweating and I can see in their eyes that they are shocked.

My calorie goal on here is 1200 but im often over. What happens normally is after dinner im on goal then ill have a bad snack or a sandwich... but its got to be better than how I was eating before and every day I just try to meet the 1200 goal and stick to it.

Im quite lucky at the moment as we have a 12ft round quite deep paddling pool in the garden for summer so im getting in there most days and 'swimming about' just trying to work on my leg and arm muscles.
  • Valereee
    Options
    Yes!!! The feeling of "pulling down the pelvis"!! I tried describing that to my primary care doctor and she kept saying it will get easier as I lose more weight, but didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. At 500, and even 400 pounds I don't think I could exercise for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time. Now that I'm at 340 I can stand longer but still can't do more than 25 minutes at a time.

I found what really keeps me on my feet longer is going to the grocery store. Maybe it's cuz I'm holding onto the cart and walking slowly, but a few days ago we clocked it and I was upright and walking for 40 minutes. So please keep with it -- it will definitely get easier. Another thing that helped me in the beginning was doing the "Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk" on YouTube. You do it right in your living room and so when it gets to be too much you just press pause and sit down for a while. It used to take me five attempts to do the 1 mile in a row but now most days I can do it at once (it takes about 20 minutes). Her voice is kinda annoying so I always wear my headphones and listen to music while following along with her. (My husband loves her voice, so it's just me, I guess). So good luck and please keep at it -- you'll be so happy when you see and feel the results!!!
  • reginaaddi
    reginaaddi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Valeree,
    Thanks so much for the walking video idea! I am going to try that along with swimming and the bike! I am so frustrated because I am still sick! Hopefully it will be gone soon, I am beyond depressed!
    :smile:
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A recumbent bike is suppose to be easy on the knees. It is deferent than average stationary bike. They are not too pricey.
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    *different
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can I give you some advice?

Swim.

Trust me, I am in the same boat, if not worse. I'm 443.8 lbs. And walking is killing my feet, so I switched reluctantly to swimming.
    It was very hard, but I did it with no shirt on.

No one laughed at me, in fact everyone was there for the same reason, to get in shape by having fun swimming. Everyone is too busy doing their own thing to focus on someone and when you get into the water, and no one can tell how big you are.

Please, please try swimming. Once you do it one time, you will be hooked and will continue to go.

Just do it once, if not for me, for you.