What do you tell people when they find out your veg?

Options
dgkt
dgkt Posts: 57 Member
I'm fairly new to the plant-based lifestyle, I've been vegetarian since February, and I'm slowly transitioning to vegan. While my hubs & a decent portion of my family are very accommodating & understanding, I do face opposition. I realize this is an alternative lifestyle and most people fear the unfamiliar, I'm curious if there is a way to defuse the situation when "outed" to new people and/or realitives.

Also- what can I say to those who 'would miss meat too much' other than a snarky 'I don't.'

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If yo are don't it for the animals tell them about it being kinder and sitting better with you.
    If you are doing it for your health tell them how much better you expect to feel by lowering your cholesterol.
    If you are doing it for the planet tell them how much more environmentally friendly this is for the earth.
    Why did you choose it?
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Interested in the replies here. I am two days in and am already sick of hearing 'what, no cheese?' And 'well thats ruined sunday dinner.' :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on making the choice to be a steward of the animals and earth!

When I first told my friends, most were supportive. One person in particular, though, kept being snarky. I worked with her and saw her daily and daily she'd make rude comments. Finally, on the 4th day of snarkiness and telling me she gave me 2 weeks and then I'd be back to omni, I looked at her and said, "I am serious about this and would appreciate your support as a friend." Something clicked in her and she hasn't made any rude comments since. That was over 2 years ago.

Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself and speak up. No need to be rude, but just be truthful and don't be a wallflower.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Remember you were in their place too just not too long ago. Don't take it personally. And choose your battles carefully and wisely - but don't apologize for your choices.

If someone consistently make snark remarks, talk to them one-on-one, tell them it bothers you and you'd appreciate it if they respected your choices and that you find their comments hurtful.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People fear what they don't understand. They fear anything out of their comfort zone. They might even try to make you eat meat and cheese by having more of it around and cooked for you when you're around. And if they're more on the conservative side, they see you as a liberal tree-hugger hippie freak sometimes.

My in-laws do that. So I go to the grocery store when I come in town and get microwavable vegan entrees and make them when the rest of the family is having meat. I can't do too much cooking in their kitchen like I would at home. Even though their own cardiologist has told them to cut the animal foods and eat more veggies and fruit, they won't do that. They say they want to enjoy their lives, but they each take handfuls because of their unhealthy choices, not to mention all the heart surgeries for him. Sometimes I just have to shake my head but continue to do what I do despite them.

Don't give up, it's hard to deal with people sometimes, but for all of the reasons we are vegan, it's worth it.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The term "vegan" is beginning to become stereotyped like saying you’re “atheist.” My diet is plant-based due to health reasons (i.e. I never processed meat and dairy very well) and I find it allows me to recover better with weekly high miles in cycling & running. So it’s been a long process since 2006 migrating to the diet and lifestyle I choose today. I’ll be the first to admit what works for me, might not for you. I am growing more into the ethical side of veganism, but I don’t like Jehovah Witnesses’ knocking on my door preaching to me—I don’t like to preach to others to my beliefs either. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t worry about those who are overly-opinionated and not open to understand your reasoning to life choices.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the plant-based lifestyle, I've been vegetarian since February, and I'm slowly transitioning to vegan. While my hubs & a decent portion of my family are very accommodating & understanding, I do face opposition. I realize this is an alternative lifestyle and most people fear the unfamiliar, I'm curious if there is a way to defuse the situation when "outed" to new people and/or realitives.

Also- what can I say to those who 'would miss meat too much' other than a snarky 'I don't.'
    Personally I just ignore the snarky comments (not that I get many after all these years 15 years a veganand 15 a vegetarian before that). If people want to know my ethical reasons I'll happily discuss with them. I do not though push my ideas on people and I brush off most everyday comments. I occasionally get the 'where do you get protein' comments which I normally reply one of two things normally I just say 'from my food, where do you get yours?' Occasionally I have responded the same place gorillas and Rhinos do from plants!

The one people normally seen to have a problem with is when I state I don't eat honey or use silk or wool for some reason these seem to be harder for people to get their heads around. In my experience the best thing to do is not make a big deal out of it. The best way to promote Veganism is to show how easy it is and how 'normal' it all really is
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For starters, I try not to talk about my eating habits as much as possible due to getting grief when I was losing what some thought I had lost "too much weight". But when it comes out that I eat plant based I assure them that I do it for me, for health reasons (my choice) and it has helped me out quite a bit in terms of health and I assure them I am as fit and healthy as ever...running 3 marathons in the last 3 years helps to prove that! At the same time, I also remain somewhat flexible in that I will take offers from others who simply want to bless me with a meal, knowing I will probably pay for it over the next day or two, but thanking them for thinking so much of me and getting back to my usual diet as soon as possible.
    I think the key is to not make it so threatening. Like others said, people are afraid of what they don't understand and misinterpret things a little too easy. Some people hear "vegan" and assume you are going to be some kind of save the whales, tree hugging radical activist who will boycott and protest the family thanksgiving dinner because an innocent turkey had to die. Once they get past that then it is just a matter of assuring them that you aren't going to die of a protein deficit anytime soon...and fitness helps to prove that!
    Good luck and God bless on your journey, I hope it works out for you!
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've just started saying I don't eat meat or dairy, and only in situations where it's necessary. As someone said, the word "vegan" has started to have a stigma attached. I don't talk about it unless asked, and I usually just ignore people who are being jerks about it.

I don't think they realize we've heard it all before, and nothing they say ("Top of the food chain!" "Canine teeth!" "Plants have feelings too!" etc) is anything we haven't heard a thousand times already.

Knowing that you have chosen NOT to do something they do is an insult to some people. They feel like your choice not to do something means you are judging THEM for doing it, even if you really aren't. Then they get defensive and it never ends well.

I was chatting with my coworker yesterday, mentioned I had to stop by the store to get ingredients for a recipe. He asked what I was making -- Isa's Lentil-A-Roni. His response was, "GROSS." This is the same guy who has a yearly party where he roasts a lamb on a spit. But lentils and pasta and cashew cream is "gross." It's just not worth the time to argue.

We're happy and we eat awesome food. Let 'em say what they will.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I try and avoid the question as much as I can. I don't mind the questions, it's judgemental things that really get to me.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Most people I know are/were pretty cool about it. The "I would miss meat too much" crowd I'd just say something like, "I love the taste of meat, too. Still do. I missed it at first, then I started to feel really good and I stopped missing it. "

For me it's easy, because I've lost a bunch of weight and have gotten much healthier. They can't argue with progress.