Do you risk it?

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
When the back of the packet says 'made on lines that also process gluten' or 'may contain gluten'?

I lived in South America until just recently, and every time I bought something that was made in South America that had this phrase on it, I had a reaction. However, things that were imported from overseas (like the US) that also contained this warning seemed to be ok. I have now moved to Australia, and over the weekend bought some organic red quinoa ... that said 'may contain gluten'. I thought I'd give it a go and didn't get a reaction.

My question is - when do you risk it and when do you not?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I dont as I have quite a severe reaction.
  • healthylifehelen
    Options
    I don't risk it now. The problem being, one entire batch of the product may be fine, but the next you buy just could be contaminated
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't risk it when I buy for my husband. He has Celiac, so even if he doesn't have a reaction, he could be affected if there was gluten in it.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's dicey, here in the US, I have actually seen stuff labeled as GLUTEN FRE E, and then when you check the ingredients, it says manufactured in a facility that also processes tree nuts, wheat, etc. We have to be so careful because, as another poster said, even if we don't get sick, we can still be causing ourselves damage. I try not to do this.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said so far. I guess you could chance it based on how bad your reaction is?

If you're just sensitive, taking risks is not that big of a deal. If you're allergic, it's best not to take the chance. From what I know of allergic reactions though, they get worse with exposure and age, so...

With the South African foods, were there other things in there that could cause a reaction to something else you might be allergic to, like peanuts or eggs?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said so far. I guess you could chance it based on how bad your reaction is?

If you're just sensitive, taking risks is not that big of a deal. If you're allergic, it's best not to take the chance. From what I know of allergic reactions though, they get worse with exposure and age, so...

With the South African foods, were there other things in there that could cause a reaction to something else you might be allergic to, like peanuts or eggs?

^^ this ^^

I have severe reactions even though not tested as positive for celiac disease so I don't take a chance anymore. I have been made very sick by products that state that the facility processes some gluten containing foods. It really depends on how well they clean the machines/belts/hoppers, etc and let's face it - that's just generally too expensive a proposition for every product processed /packaged at a factory. That's why I have to buy labelled clean oats - not grown in rotation with wheat or rye or processed in a facility that has processed gluten containing grains. If you are very allergic or reactive you also need to check other things besides foods like makeups/lipsticks and shampoos, etc as they also can cause reactions because they use wheat proteins in their composition.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    After many years of being gluten free I have a few things I will eat that have no gluten ingredients but might have traces of gluten. It's just been trial and error for me and these items have never sparked a reaction so I keep them in my diet. Also due to the fact that my previous doctor had me start the diet before being tested I don't know if I'm actually celiac or just gluten intolerant so I might not be so chancy if I knew for 100% certain that I was doing permanent damage.