Pituitary Gland Hypothyroidism and Type 1 Diabetes

Options
Does any one have any information on Juvenile Diabetes linked with other endocrine problems such as hypothyroidism? I'm rapidly gaining weight, losing hair, constantly tired, and have very dry skin...all of my test came back normal though. I am very frustrated at this point and am still rapidly gaining weight although I eat healthy and exercise regularly. Thank you!
-Kitty
Age 21
Type 1 Diabetic

Replies

• tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    They aren't direclty related, but a large percentage of Type 1's do develop thydroid issues. They are sort of distant cousins, so it's never a surprise when a type 1 develops thyroid problems. I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 10 and then diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 19. The symptoms you are experiencing are the same symptoms associated with hypothyroidism. I would ask to have your thyroid levels checked again. There could be a decrease in your levels from your last test, which could show that there is a problem developing. Keep track of your symptoms and bring detailed notes to your doctor's appointment. If it's not thyroid, they may be able to pinpoint another problem based on your notes. I've had to start bringing notes to my endo appointments because I always draw a blank when I am put on the spot, only to remember my questions on my way home from the appointment - very annoying.

I hope they are able to git this mystery figured out for you rather quickly. Don't ever be afraid to tell your doctor you want more testing or raise questions. Just because they have the fancy title and make the big bucks doesn't mean they know everything. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • KittySlocum
    Options
    Thank you so much! I have made an appointment with a new endocrinologist in my area and I will report back with updates! :)
    -Kit
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also have an hypothyroid. I was actually diagnosed with hyperthyroid, but given radioactive iodine so now it's hypo. My endocrinologist said the majority of Type 1's develop at least one other autoimmune disease :(
  • 1953Barbara
    1953Barbara Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Kitty. I understand your frustration. I got T1 first; low thyroid and thyroid goiter came later. While your symptoms do sound like low thyroid, I've also found that insulin can cause weight gain and not enough fat in the diet can bring on dry skin, weak hair and brittle nails. I concur that you should be retested. Docs don't always agree on low thyroid dosages based on your lab results. My endocrinologist is conservative and seems to favor minimal dosing, while my internal medicine doc is more willing to treat to alleviate my symptoms. Good luck with your new doc!
  • Heidi1370
    Options
    I've been type 1 for 36 yrs., and hypo thyroid for 33. Seems to go hand in hand....along with depression for 33. I've had my pituitary and white blood cell count checked for the same symptoms you mentioned. You may want to check side effects listed for any meds you're taking. Seems type 1 and hypothyroid magnify those. Steroids, pain meds, and pregnancy preventatives are an absolute no no for me.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    T1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. If you have one you are at risk to developers others. I was tested for Hashimoto' s aka autoimmune hypothyroidism, as well as Sjorgens syndrome- aka autoimmune dry eye/mouth/skin. There is an increased association with MS also autoimmune disorder.
    Some have autoimmune liver and or kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis etc etc.
    When you get tested be sure to get the full thyroid function panel, a T4 only may not show the whole picture of where you stand especially if you are symptomatic.

Many T1s present with an autoimmune disease before they present with diabetes.