Let's discuss 'feeding' on long rides...

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I'm predominantly a 'road cyclist' & some rides involve long distances (for me); 100km+

9 times out of 10 whenever I ride I don't take any food whatsoever; normally I'll take a 750ml bottle of water with Zero High 5 tablet in it, which obviously has an adverse effect on my performance as the ride rolls on...

What is your 'eating' stratagy? What do you take to eat?

I need help with this and I also need to be disciplined enough to eat when I need to and not when I'm feeling the effects of not eating!

Thanks in advance for your superior knowledge and guidance :wink:

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    100km to 160km - 1x750ml bottle electrolyte (usually one of the "caffienated" zero tablets of some persuasion) 1x750ml bottle of either SiS Go (60g to 750ml concentration) or Torq Energy (weighed out at a 6% - i've not used it for 6 months, so can't remember the weights). I also take a couple of gels and an energy bar - with the intention of not actually using them unless I feel like I'm sagging - to be honest, with a good breakfast 1 hour beforehand (big bowl of porridge and black treacle and (say) a bagel with something sweet topping it) the liquid diet is usually pretty much enough to fuel me for a 5 hour ride - unless I either get unexpectedly tough weather conditions - the warming effect (often psychological) of actually eating something solid after getting caught in a downpour with 50 miles to go cannot be underestimated.

Anything over 5 hours on the saddle, I start thinking in terms of "proper food" - either a cafe stop if possible or taking along a couple of cheese/ham butties (foiled and in the shirt pocket naturally) Another handy "pit stop" would be those "muller rice pots" that some garages etc. sell from the chiller cabinets... My advice for anything longer than a 5 hour ride is based largely on riding "BITD" rather than current availability, back when I did the odd long-distance TT (12 and 24 hour rides) - after trying to rely on largely "liquid fuel" in one particular 12h event I got a bad case of the "Greg Lemond Quickstep" 8 hours in, and spent most of the last 4 hours behind one roadside bush or another.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Another little trick I do with the Garmin is set it to "remind me" every 500kCals burned - it flashes on screen and beeps, which I use as a reminder to take a good solid swig of the energy drink bottle (if I haven't already eaten/drank anything since the prior "beep")
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Another little trick I do with the Garmin...

There he goes... Swearing again :laugh: I told you what the missus said! :laugh:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always start my day pre-ride with a bowl of Muesli & a dash of Honey. I don't usually take food with me if i plan on cycling less than 100km. Around this distance then a couple of bananas usually suffice. Only during the challenges last year did i find the magic of waffles! (Asda sell a particularly nice chocolate covered one). This i add if i'm on a hilly <100km ride or 100 miles. For Sportives then i will add some Maltodextrin to my water (Begin a few weeks before on training rides to get it in my system) as well as a High 5 tab and my secret weapon... a packet of Jelly Beans. I try to avoid Gels as they can get to be an expensive habit and i have found Jelly Beans to be just as effective. I will pack a couple of emergency gels though just incase i run out and start to bonk.

On the sportives you also have the luxury of real foods provided en-route, my favourites have been salty potatoes & welsh cakes.
    For the sportive i'm doing this weekend they are proposing Soreen loaf, Bananas, Welsh Cakes, Bread & Jam, Beef *kitten*, Ham Wraps & Potatoes. I'll be lucky if my weight breaks even after this ride!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    surely your iPhone App allows something similar ? Failing that, just a half hour timer, and take a small swig?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Best treat I had was 23hours into a 24hour Test. My "support crew" (one of the lads from the club at the time) was stood in a lay-bye, I pulled over and he opened a container with a fresh Mango that he'd peeled, de-stoned and sliced up - I just stood there and dropped the slices in my mouth, got covered in juice in the process, but bless him, he'd got a damp flannel and a towel at the ready. The energy from that worked wonders - I've always remembered it, and I make a point of using Mango in the "recovery smoothies" I often make for after summer rides.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A lot of this will be personal preference, so try some things and see what you respond well to and what you don't.

Personally, I like something with caffeine.

2hrs and under, I don't usually need anything. Maybe a water bottle if it's exceptionally hot.
    2-3hrs - water bottle w/ nuun or simlar and 1 pack of gel/gummies
    3+ hrs - hydration pack and 1 gel/gummy every 30-45 minutes depending. Salt tabs if needed

Also... nutrition/hydration should be preventative, not reactive. If you're feeling out of gas or starting to cramp up, it's too late.

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've just started to wise up to this, only ever took food on a ride but often flag towards the second hr onwards, I'd power through it but it would make me ravenous, used a friends carb powder in my bottle on Monday and wow did it make a difference for sustained effort, I did suffer the next day probably due to not taking in the right recovery food ... or enough, I hear Chocolate Milkshake is perfect for recovery though. I also know a guy that swears on Jelly Babies and Jam sandwiches .... that one might be a tad less scientific then the energy drinks though :)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to eat when I ride, and have found it helpful. If under and hour, I only have water. If I am planning on riding over an hour, I am starting to eat every 30 minutes. Still trying things. One I have used for years is fig newtons. Read years ago that they are the best thing to buy in a grocery store when you have bonked. I buy them in 100 calorie packs. I have searched and found a couple homemade energy bars I like, so I mix them up. I figure to take about 100 calories every 30 minutes if the ride is over 2 hours.

I also carry two water bottles. One with water, the other with salt tablets.

If I do this, I am less likely to eat and eat and eat after a ride. I actually take in less calories if I am taking a bit throughout the ride.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just reading through some of the bumph from my Trainer/Physio...

One of the things that he mentioned was that to keep your glycogen levels fully topped up you require somewhere between 7-10g of carbs per Kilo of body weight according to current studies.

His recommendation to me was to start at the lower end (7g) and instead of working with actual body weight, calculate it on "Lean body weight"

- so, working on my figures for current weight and BF% (14% as per the last DEXA scan I had a month or so ago) we're taking

7x((109.8 * 0.86)) = 660g of carbs per day to keep "topped up"

Obviously, that's not compatible with a "defecit eating plan" - considering there's 4kcal/g of carbs, thats 2640kcals JUST FROM CARBS!

It IS however a good indication of what you might need to get down your neck if you were riding back-to-back centuries for example... it also probably explains why most of us have a "Jour Sans" the day after a big ride...

Another thing that stood out was the recommendation that for a long ride, to aim for between 30-60g of carbs per hour - I tend to work on the lower end of the scale, as anything too strong in the drink scale causes "repercussions" later - that's pretty much 1/2 of a 750ml bottle per hour at the concentrations I mentioned above - so really, I guess I actually aught to be taking 2 bottles of the "go", but I reckon that the substantial breakfast pretty much covers the 90 minutes, and if I start drinking after 30 minutes, I'm sort of topping up before I run out... It also explains why if I don't have any gels/bars/butties, I'm pretty much running on fumes by the time I get home - ideally, I sort of "Empty the Tank" with 3-4 miles to ride home and get home with barely enough energy to support my head with both hands... that way I've actually hit the fat burning zone as hard as I can.

And (Bonus) I'm at home, so I can replenish the "Glycogen Window" with REAL FOOD.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question Cloggsy. The answers are very interesting read.

I do know that if I have some caffeine at some point post or during a ride (or really intense exercise day), I'm a lot less sore than without it. I think some of the gel blocks come with it as part of the ingredients. I tend to drink my caffine in some type of powdered refresher form from Starbucks so its not a lot of calories. I also like to take magnesum prior to a ride and later after as I tend to cramp up a bit. I haven't ridden with drinks other than water but as I'm gearing up for the first 100 ride, I think I need to start thinking about that.

People are swearing by coconut water which I've tried and tried but can't stand. I hate most electrolyte fluid mixes - many have way too much sugar. Are there other forms that folks know of here in the states?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I normally just rely on Hammer Heed in my bottle and Stinger gummies. For longer rides, a Hammer bar, banana, or pbj.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't really do very long rides, but I need some kind of electrolytes for even short ones. I was doing Gus but with training for the 20mile race I'm doing (which is long for me, most my rides were always 8-12miles) I've started stealing my husband's Carbo Rocket 333.

Also, I just read this article the other day:

http://blog.trainerroad.com/3-keys-to-training-fuel-while-riding/
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Primarily GUs and water. As it gets hotter, will add in some salt replacement. Generally eat something ever 45 minutes.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use HEED in my water if I am biking for less than 2 hours and PERPETUEM if I am biking for more than 2 hrs.

I take Endurolytes and Sportlegs if it is hot and going to be a long day.

I eat Honey Stinger Energy Chews just because they taste good and I like to chew on something. I also carry Hammer Gel in a flask just in case I need a little more nutrients.

If there are aid stations then I snack on some of the pretzels, oranges, bananas, pizza, etc....
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i can't stomach energy gels or sugary drinks for long rides, so I go for plain water with perhaps with a nuun if it's hot, and try and eat half a cliff bar every hour and stop at a cafe or garage for a cup of tea, sandwich & some crisps every 2.5 / 3 hours or so.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I saw some guys eating some sort of "Rice Balls" at a 100K MTB Race a month or so ago.
    Anyone have any ideas what that might have been? Looked a lot more appetizing than GUs. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No idea... but you don't *need* gus/gels or whatever else. I've had some of my best performances on water, bananas, half a PB&J and rice crispy treats. I will say that gus/gels are WAY easier to carry.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I saw some guys eating some sort of "Rice Balls" at a 100K MTB Race a month or so ago.
    Anyone have any ideas what that might have been? Looked a lot more appetizing than GUs. :)

Maybe it's some variation of these: http://feedzonecookbook.com/2013/04/04/allen-lims-rice-cakes-a-portable-snack-for-athletes-thats-made-from-real-food/ I made a basically vegatarian version a couple of months back and it was great.

Some great info, but what I took away was this: eat, stay fueled, find what works best. Need to remember to do that more often!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No idea... but you don't *need* gus/gels or whatever else. I've had some of my best performances on water, bananas, half a PB&J and rice crispy treats. I will say that gus/gels are WAY easier to carry.

I hate eating "real" food when I ride. I like something fruity and chewy.