Gluten free Beer

Options
amyrllin1
amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
Hi all, I am newly diagnosed gluten intolerant and I am missing having a beer. I know this is going to be difficult in the summer when we get together with friends!

I am in Ontario Canada and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me. I don't drink often but do like a beer as a treat once in awhile so price is not really an issue.

Thanks all

Amy

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am about 3 weeks gluten free and I live in Halifax, NS! I have tried a couple of the gluten free beers at the liqour store and the best one I've found is Glutenberg blond! It's actually the cheapest too. 4 tall cans for $14.99 or 6 bottles for $18.99. It's quite refreshing and actually tastes like regular blond beer. The only difference I find is that it's not as fizzy/carbonated but I kind of like that because I'm not constantly burping lol and it doesn't make me feel super bloated. Hope you find one you like! :)
  • amyrllin1
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I am going to check that out tomorrow!! I don't mind it not being too carbonated.
    I have been 2 weeks gluten free.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I switched to cider (as of now, Strongbow is in the lead) since I wasn't a fan of any GF beers I've tried. Even the ciders can be too sweet and I can only have a couple. So, I rarely drink now :shrug:
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    Hi!

Go to the LCBO, there's so many new varieties out now. Nickel Brook makes one. I think there's a bunch of other ones too.

I love my beer too, but it doesn't effect me. I'm more intolerant to wheat. I hate wheat beers to begin with, so it's all good.

Whereabouts in Ontario are you?
  • amyrllin1
    Options
    I picked up nickel brook today! I haven't tried it yet though. I am in Simcoe, which is by Lake Erie we are kind of between London and Hamilton .
    Are you in Ontario?
  • amyrllin1
    Options
    I picked up nickel brook today! I haven't tried it yet though. I am in Simcoe, which is by Lake Erie we are kind of between London and Hamilton .
    Are you in Ontario?
  • dalecarmack
    Options
    Since you are in Canada..there is a GF beer called Glutenberg made in Canada, they have a Blond and Red that are excellent. Green's is Belgian and is also excellent. There are a few good US beers. New Grist is decent, Red Bridge is not so good, Bards is OK, Nu Planet beers are OK, Harvestor beers are excellent but not distributed outside Oregon to my knowledge. Hope this helps.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of craft beers and have had to switch to ciders - which I also like - easiest to get is Strongbow. But here's a link to 14 best choices although it is from 2012. Most of the posters above have mentioned some of the best - made by de-glutenizing barley before brewing. Not sure how this would work if you are severely affected by celiac disease ie: not even being able to have the same utensils in a mixed household. When I order a gluten free beer - I just acknowledge that it isn't 'really' a beer, just a different kind of alcoholic drink. Kinda like ordering scotch instead of rye. Both whiskies, but not alike.

oops, forgot the link: http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-gluten-free-beers.html
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Ok. There are a ton in the US.
    Red bridge: made by Budweiser
    Omission
    New Planet
    Bards
    St. Peter's
    Daura
    Greenes
    New grist

A ton more.. And now we have local breweries making gf beer. Hope one if the above you can find.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of beer but I love Woodchuck and Angry Orchard ciders. The Angry Orchard ginger flavor is the best!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Interesting article on Medscape (have to be a member - involved in Health Services) about celiac disease & beer: I will highlight & quote since a link will not allow you in without a password.

"Beer is of interest for many coeliac disease patients. Regular beers are made of barley, and the malting process generates many small peptides. Manufacturers do not generally test for gluten content. The current WHO definition of gluten-free diet is based on ELISA with the R5 monoclonal antibody. This analysis works fine when proteins are detected, but may perform less well for testing products containing peptides. By combining ELISA and mass spectrometry, it was found that regular beers contain considerable levels of potentially harmful hordein peptides."

ELISA = enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay

Here's the studies info is taken from:

79.Tanner GJ, Colgrave ML, Blundell MJ, et al. Measuring hordein (gluten) in beer – a comparison of ELISA and mass spectrometry. PLoS One 2013; 8:e56452.

80.Picariello G, Mamone G, Nitride C, et al. Shotgun proteome analysis of beer and the immunogenic potential of beer polypeptides. J Proteomics 2012; 75:5872–5882.

What does this mean?? That we don't really know how de-glutenized beer affects people with celiac disease - as the peptides produced are not the same as the proteins themselves as defined by World Health Organization when considering something 'gluten-free.'

Technical but something to think about if you have Celiac Disease, maybe not so much if you are just non-celiac gluten sensitive.

Liana