Alternatives to food

Options
jellylocks
jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
Hi all :) OK so me and my mum are trying to lose weight together at the moment and we were discussing alternatives to getting those 'happy chemicals' that we're not now getting from food. I've recently taken up a sport which is really helping me but my mum struggles with arthritis in her knees so sports activities aren't really possible for her.

Has anyone on here taken up any new hobbies or activities that have really helped them with their comfort eating? Or any suggestions on what might be helpful when we're feeling low and in need of a binge.

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to pick up a crafting hobby that uses your hands. For example knitting, crochet, cross stitch or anything else that keeps your hands busy and requires you to keep your hands clean.

One of my projects right now is making beaded Christmas ornaments. They keep my mind and hands occupied so I don't eat when I'm bored.

Your mom might need to experiment to find something she likes to do.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Believe it or not I have heard certain exercise is great for arthritis, I met a lady once who said she had avoided knee replacements by using the gym. Maybe there are forums out there that provide support for your Mom's condition who could help her learn what exercise would help her? Or maybe a local gym like the YMCA might have suggestions. Swimming might work well for her.

On the none physical side GREAT suggestions. Maybe scrap booking, jigsaws, jewellery making, I have seen jewellery making kits in Walmart and often been tempted to buy, I just don't have enough time right now for that kind of hobby.
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is an excellent post! I keep telling myself I NEED to do something more physical...and have been trying, but then all of the old excuses start rearing their heads at me. I want to swim and run more honestly, well run period. I honestly cant right now because of the intense pain on my ankles and knees supporting all of this weight, But maybe if I start swimming; which I like doing, ( my excuse there is GAH I don't want to go to the pool all alone :) ) then it would at least start helping me lose weight in a lower impact way until I am ABLE to run. We live in Florida, so it is sure hot enough out there to swim.

Swimming may definitely help your mom also since it is so low impact :)
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Gardening....... Pilates.... looking after grand children.......
  • Kourui
    Kourui Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Swimming or joining an Aquafit/dance/whatever they want to call it class. They're designed for people with joint issues as the water keeps you buoyant so there's no gravity pressure on the joints!
  • Yana220
    Yana220 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Some movement is excellent for arthritis. Does she like to dance? Maybe a line dance class where there's just light leg lifts and shuffling? The recommendations for aqua aerobics or water treading may be nice, too.
  • jellylocks
    jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions everyone :) x
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There are also programs of chair aerobics (kellybliss.com is one I know of) that are designed for those with mobility issues. And any walking your mom can work into her day will also be helpful.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Jelly, I have a disease that acts like rheumatoid arthritis in my joints, and my ability to do sports has been crippled along with my knees and hips. I go to the YMCA though and swim and do aquasize, aqua toning, even aqua tai chi. A lot of Y's use warm therapy pools for the classes, and a lot offer classes for people with arthritis. A friend of mine also teaches chair yoga designed for people with arthritis. Your mom should explore her exercise options--moving those joints in non-weight bearing activities will help them plus give her a nice endorphin rush!

If she's embarrassed to be seen in a swimsuit, tell her that the late morning classes for arthritis are full of people of all ages and sizes. My 450+ pound body is in a bathing suit every day!
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up too Karen. I do want to say a few words on the swimsuit thing. For decades even though I was an avid swimmer at one time, I didn't swim because I was too embarrassed to be seen in a suit. And now it is much worse, decades of obesity has taken it's toll on my skin quality, especially at the top of my thighs and my tummy is HUGE due to water retention and because that is where we hold it.

I don't have a bath towel that will wrap round me and when I first joined the Y I would not swim because of these issues and there was no way I was showering in a communal changing room. I mentioned these things to my lifestyle coach at the Y and she showed me the special needs bathroom which is individual bathrooms with toilet, shower and wash facilities totally private. She said the Y exists for health in every area including the mind and spirit and I should use this facility (mixed sex families use them too), so when I go I simply ask for the bathroom key. It made an amazing difference! I bought a swimsuit with thighs in, like a competition suit and never looked back.

Where there is a will there can be a way!