"Water retention"?

Options
logg1e
logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
Reading the forums, water retention seems to be a popular thing in the US. It appears to be a key part of the menstrual cycle over there. However, here in the UK, having Googled, we don't seem to get it on the NHS. We have dropsy and oedema, but this effects your ankles rather than your middle.

Being serious, I've learned all about water percentages (bathroom scales have changed a lot since the 80s) and can see that it must all be tied in with your salt intake.

Is the key message, "drink more water, eat less salt and you'll be a healthy percentage of water. Don't drink enough water and your body will retain it, making you bloated and heavy"?

Replies

• maysery
    maysery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Yep water retention seems to be a big problem ... or shall I say it used to be :D
    My trick was upping my water intake to about 4 litres a day ( yeah it is hard at first and trust me you will be weeing for england so to speak) but it does really work . I normally drink this amout monday to thursday , then on friday all I will drink is a MAX of 1L per the whole day. You will still be going toilet alot but that is all the excess water coming out :D
    Also taking dandelion root tablets helps with water retention, you can buy it in holland and barrett completly natural no chemicals and cheap :D I learned all of this from various friends (bodybuilders, powerlifters) and it really does work, working out hard and eating clean comes without saying but water retention really has to be tricked out of your body per say :D

Hope this helps :D If you do try it would be good to know how you get on :D

PS: I don't tend to get on the scales as much anymore I go by measurements every sunday in the morning before breakfast & you really do see the change in numbers/measurements. Scales don't take in account BF,Muscle,Water ect.... too many variables for my liking .
  • logg1e
    Options
    But how do you know if you have it? Does it feel uncomfortable, similar to having wind?
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So, by drinking more water you alleviate water retention? Trying to get my head around this, it may take me some time!
  • logg1e
    Options
    (Glad I'm not the only one confused).

Just now there has been a thread about taking diuretics on a day you're not exercising and needing to drink a lot of water. Who'd have thought drinking water was so complicated?
  • karentalty
    karentalty Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a water belly and I drink loads of water...I do know that I crave salt a lot and am very kind to myself! Any tips and suggestions are welcome!

I feel bloated a lot and also wee like a camel a lot too!