All Pro's Intermediate 2: All Pro Split

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
Besides the Simple Beginners Routine (SBR) All Pro also posted a series of 4 intermediate workout routines. The original thread can be found here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135025731&page=1

Regarding progression or cycling of these set ups All Pro mentioned the below:
The first one is the easiest to set up. It's just straight line linear progression. When it stops working or you get tired of it.....and you will try the next one. You could probably run a few cycles of #1, then a few of #2 then a few of #3 and then come back to number 1. Number 4 is for the truly insane. If you're playing football, flag foot ball, hockey, rugby or any other heavy contact speed, strength power sport that is the program for you.......provided of course you've already run the other 5x5s.
And it ain't to shabby at packing on mass and strength. It just might not look to pretty but then that's what the other programs are for.
For clarity's sake I will post separate threads for each of the Intermediate routines. 
All Pro's Intermediate 2: All Pro Split
5 week cycle

A
Bench Presses do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
Bent-Over Rows do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8
Overhead Barbell Presses do 2 work sets rep scheme 6-7-8-9-10
Barbell Curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
Tricep press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
Hammer grip dumb bell press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
Pull down do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12

B
Squats do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
Leg extensions do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
Leg curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
Calf Raises do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
Seated calf press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
Add ab work

If you get all of the reps on week 5 add 5%

That should get you started. I would do this A/B/A then B/A/B until you come up to speed. Then try 4 work outs per week. A-B off. A-B off off.

Replies

• pandorakick
    Options
    FAQ

Q: How many minutes should I rest between sets?
    A: For 4-8 reps, 2 minutes. try 1:30 seconds for everything else.

Q: For workout 2, I'm going to start with the ABA BAB schema for maybe the first cycle and then I'm going to ABAB - yay. But with the ABA BAB etc., I'm assuming we increase reps not weekly, but after two workouts of each. So ABA B/AB AB/A, etc. where the "/" indicates a rep increase. Is that right?
    A: You got it right. Do 2 work outs bump it. The split was intended to be done 4x per week but I know it's going to take some time to come up to speed on it. So 2 work outs for each rep target then increase it. If you think you're up to 4x per week go for it.

Q: It seems like a lot of volume. Is this why you recommended initially starting off with 3 workout days a week and not straight go into 4 days/week schedule? Doesn't this sort of defeat the purpose of doing upper/lower aiming to hit each body part twice a week?
    A: If you run the first cycle at 3x per week and the next one at 4x per week and then switch programs you'll understand. Some where back at the beginning I suggested running through each of my intermediate programs one after the other and not just settling on one program. They each work their magic a little differently and number 2 kills you with volume and mission impossible. However, if you just keep repeating the cycle you will find that the magic of dual factor programing kicks in and what was killing you is no longer a big deal. I've seen people do it both ways. Some can deal with the pounding and will just keep repeating the cycle with the same weight until they get them all, others have to switch programs because recovery becomes an issue. In other words, #2 was designed to hammer you into the ground for 5-10 weeks and then move on!

Q: Hey All Pro, I like the Intermediate 2 because it's similar to the beginner routine you posted and I had excellent results with that. I am thinking about doing it on a 4 day split (each WO 2x per week). WOuld it make sense to do the first WO @ 100% and the second a medium WO @ 90%? Similar to the beginner set up? I'm afraid overtraining might be a real possibility.
    A: Yup you can run it that way.

Q:  far as warmups go, should I do warmups for the first 3 exercises for both workout A (bench, row, overhead press) and B (squat, leg extensions, SLDL), or would just doing warmup sets on the bench and squat be enough?
    A: Bench and rows, squats. After that it's up to you. 

Q: Also, for workout B, if I do not have access to a seated calf press machine, what exercise can I add in to replace that?
    A: A seated calve press can replaced with a bicycle.

Q: All pro, for program # 2, what do I do if I fail on like week 4, and can't do all the reps? Do I try week 4 reps again the next week?
    A: Repeat the cycle with the same weight for that exercise. Failure will happen.

Q: I don't understand the Rep Range. Please explain, for example 'Bench Presses do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8
    A: That's not a rep range. It's rep progression. Each week you add 1 rep. Start with your rep max for the middle of the rep range. In your example of 4-8 you would start with a 6 rep max. On week 5 you're trying to push or pull it for 8 reps for 4 sets. You wont get them all the first time. Don't get frustrated just repeat the cycle and let dual factor periodization work it's magic.

Q: 1. Can power cleans+jerk be added somewhere in the routine? 
    2. Can bent-over rows be replaced with it's equivalent dumbbell rows?
    3. Can the stiff-legged deadlifts be replaced by normal deadlifts?
    4. Can the pulldown be replaced with pull ups?
    5. In your opinion, can I start doing your intermediate 2 program with 6 months of experience doing Starting Strength?
    A: 1. You can build a middle workout in between the original 2 and put power cleans, hang cleans or any other olympic lift that doesn't have a negative component to it.
    2.Yes.
    3. NO!
    4. How are you going to adjust the weight?
    5. ? You can try it.

Q: Given that one is doing A B A B per week, the two As and Bs in a single week are supposed to be exact same workouts right? Basically, do I progress on a weekly basis or do I progress every session?
    A: You can do it either way but progressing weekly is a lot easier. So you end up with a 5 week cycle.

Q: If I'm doing weekly progression: Say I'm finally on week 5. I shouldn't add 5% unless I get all the reps on both workouts in the week right?
    A: That is correct and don't get frustrated. Just keep repeating it until you get tired of it. Probably after 3 or 4 cycles just move on to one of the others. I run most of this stuff in a cycle, 2 or 3 cycles and move on to the next one.

Q: How to determine my starting weights?
    A: It is the rep max of your middle rep range, say for the exercise you work out from 8 to 12 reps, then choose 10 rep max as your starting weight. This is pretty much the same concept like his beginner routine.

Example workout days:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mon & Thur
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bench Press - 6 Sets
    S1 = 15 reps at 25% of my 6 rep max
    S2 = 10 reps at 50% of my 6 rep max
    S3-6 = 4/5/6/7/8 reps at 100% of my 6 rep max

Bent Over Row - 4 sets
    S1-4 = 4/5/6/7/8 reps at 100% of my 6 rep max

Overhead BB Press - 2 Sets
    S1-2 = 6/7/8/9/10 reps at 100% of my 8 rep max

BB Curls - 2 Sets
    S1-2 = 8/9/10/11/12 reps at 100% of my 10 rep max

Tricep Press - 2 Sets

Hammer Grip DB Press - 2 Sets

Pull Down - 2 Sets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tue & Fri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Squats - 6 Sets
    S1 = 15 reps at 25% of my 6 rep max
    S2 = 10 reps at 50% of my 6 rep max
    S3-6 = 4/5/6/7/8 reps at 100% of my 6 rep max

Leg Extensions - 2 Sets
    S1-2 = 8/10/12/15/20 reps at 100% of my 12 rep max

SLDL - 2 Sets

Leg Curls - 2 Sets

Calf Raise - 2 Sets

Seated Calf Raise - 2 Sets

Ab Work
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Was interested in running this in the lead-in to #4 in case I still need to cut before tackling that monster (which you can't attempt on a cut, apparently). Anyway, came across this on page 26/27:

Q: I do my workout at home so I don't have access to leg curls or leg extensions, any recommended substitutes?
    A: Regular dead lifts in the 8-12 range. And I would do a half weight warm up set for them.

This would make the B workout significantly different. You'd drop the curls and extensions. Presumably, you'd keep the SLDL/RDL and you'd have to sandwich something in between this and the regular deads. Recovery would be an issue, so you may have to stick with ABA/BAB rather than go with ABAB. Another part of the thread has the following:

Q: I was thinking of altering workout #2 (split) to make the 2nd leg day of the week a lighter load day (maybe 90 to 85% of the first leg day). What do you think about this?
    A: As far as using a lighter work out for your second work out, no problem. Heavy upper/Heavy lower/off/light upper/light lower/off/off. OR Heavy upper/light lower/off/light upper/heavy lower/off/off.

I think that adding in conventional deads and the necessary jiggery-pokery needed to adjust the rest of the day and having to do the thing twice a week might be a bit brutal (especially on a cut). So I'm thinking running two mediums a week to help with recovery would be wise.

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone who has had similar thoughts/concerns. Hope I'm not treading on your toes Pandora!?
  • pandorakick
    Options
    That's allright Jimmer! Anyone finding tidbits of information I've missed or just haven't got to yet, please share the knowledge :flowerforyou:
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Q: regarding ab work, necessary, not necessary or just personal preference?
    A: Years ago Body by Jake made an ab bench that used bungee cords to adjust the resistance. With that cheap piece of junk you could work abs in any direction without having to worry about blowing out a disc. I haven't seen one like it in years. The problem with abs is that you've got to the side and up, that puts stress on the discs, you've got rotation and that can put stress on the discs. To me they are a no no with any kind of free weight that applies a downward force on the spine. Well that leaves chest to knees, knees to chest, with a twist to the left and the right. Are they required. Well that's a definite maybe. Some people do just fine without them. Some people fold over like a cheap jack knife doing squats. That's the person that needs some serious ab and spinal erector work.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I just finished up 4 cycles of this.

Although I modified it heavily to allow me to front squat, power clean and deadlift. My take on it was:

Monday
    Bench: 4x4-5-6-7-8
    Yates Row: 4x4-5-6-7-8
    Military: 2x6-7-8-9-10
    Pull Ups: 3x2-3-4-5-6

Tuesday
    Squat: 4x4-5-6-7-8
    RDL: 2x4-5-6-7-8
    Bulgarian SS 2x6-7-8-9-10 (Per Leg)
    Calf Raises: 2x8-10-12-15-20

Thursday
    Push Press: 4x2-3-4-5-6
    Pendlay Rows: 4x2-3-4-5-6
    Weighted Dips: 2x6-7-8-9-10
    Chin Ups: 3x2-3-4-5-6

Friday
    Power Cleans: 3x2-3-4-5-6
    Deadlifts: 3x2-3-4-5-6
    Front Squats: 3x3-4-5-6-7
    Calf Raises: 2x8-10-12-15-20

1 Mile walk + some common sense exercise-specific warm ups were done in addition to the rep scheme above. I haven't listed them (and if you need to ask, you're not really ready for these intermediate-style routines anyway).

As for cardio. I did conditioning work on my lower body days. This would generally be 5-10 mins of balls-to-the-wall stuff like tabata goblet squats, barbell complexes, high rep back squats, etc. Followed by a 30 min walk home and some (5-10, depending on feel) 50m hill sprints at the other end. I just did the lifts and walked home on my upper days. I was enough.

I dropped almost 14 lbs in 20-something weeks, which in the UK is a stone, and put 30kg on my 3x6 Deadlift numbers. For the record I am currently 5'6", 39 about 65kg.

I ended up DLing 2xBW for 3x6. My front squat numbers ended up 70kg for 3x7. Bench 75kg for 4x8.

In the end, working up to 3x6 every five weeks in the DL became too much and 4 days after my last attempt, I am still feeling it. Lot of RealWorld stuff happening and the volume is hard if you're a) cutting and b) have work/home/life stuff going on outside of the rack. Anyway, I am taking an easy week (or two) and then I'll be starting on the 636 routine.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Good stuff Jimmer!

I think the most important thing to remember is that when you get to that intermediate stage it is less about strictly following the routine and more about customizing it to suit your specific needs. :drinker: