How do you do it!?

Options
petemeep
petemeep Posts: 62 Member
How do you find the energy to work out when you little one is not sleeping well?? Suddenly these last few weeks our 8 month old has been getting up 2-4 Times every night or more. By the end of the day I just don't have the energy to run like I had been and I already get up at 6 for work and only average 6 hours of sleep. Any tips? I could walk during my two breaks at work but I use that time to pump. I'm feeling defeated and could use some motivation...

Replies

• abashir525
    abashir525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing with my 8 month old, he wakes up so much during the night and will only sleep well if I'm holding him (which I try really hard not to do). I work out 6 days a week and sometimes it can be hard to find the motivation but I live by a fitness rule which is; try working out for 5 minutes and if you really want to stop then stop. 100% of the time once I start my workout I finish and end up doing more than I planned. Don't give up, once you make exercising a habit it will come naturally to you and it won't feel so hard to make time for it! You can do it!!
  • sarahelizaaaa
    sarahelizaaaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My son will be 1 in 2 weeks and I'm still up (typically) twice a night, so I totally hear you. Prior to having a baby, I used to go for runs and attend boot camp classes, both of which take an hour+. Ain't nobody got time for that. Between working full time and having him I seriously felt like there was no way I would ever be able to work out. My co-worker started doing T25 by Shaun T, so I decided to try it and I love it. The work outs are only 25 minutes, but they are tough and effective. It is basically like my old boot camp class condensed into 25 min w/ no breaks. Plus, the woman who does the modifier moves (I follow her half the time) just had a baby and looks amazing, so she's good motivation. Like PP said, now that I've made it a habit, I make a point to fit it in. Plus it's only 25 min, so I feel like I have no excuses now. Now that it's getting nicer outside, some days I take long walks w/ the babe in place of the T-25 work out and call it a day.

Please do not be hard on yourself. I know I had no motivation to work out until I felt like I had my work/mom routine under control. I also waited until it was nicer outside and the days were longer, which I felt helped a lot. When it was still so dark at night, I felt inclined to go to bed right when my son did (which is at like 8, haha). You just need to find something that works for you. Do you have your own office/privacy or a pumping bra? When I pump in my office I use my pumping bra and continue working (e-mails, paperwork, etc.). So, if you did that then you could use your breaks for walking.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! After sleeping well for a few weeks, I think my five month old is going through a growth spurt and often waking in the night again. I have been SO tired, and have minimal motivation.

Thank you for all of the tips, girls. Keep 'em coming. :)
  • Kristin41080
    Kristin41080 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and support. I use to work out for an hour or more six days a week and even taught fitness classes before my son (2 years old) was born. Once I stopped pumping at work (when he was 1) I started working out on my lunch break but then got pregnant again. My daughter is 5 months old and gets up 1 or 2 times a night. I keep thinking I should work out after her second wake up since I usually don't fall back asleep any way but I don't want to make too much noise and wake the 2 year old up! Hoping to try and figure out how to do it some time before she turns 1!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to cut yourself a break. Even though my first STTN really early, and he was generally a good sleeper, I can say that he had more wake-ups in the few months approaching his first birthday compared to my second, who didn't STTN until he was six months old (on the dot). I started running in the mornings when my older one was about 7 months old, but he was not BFing at that point. The nights that he woke up, I'd still leave my alarm set for 5:45. On nights that he only got up once, briefly, and I was able to go back to sleep, I'd still force myself to get up and go. On nights when he'd wake up multiple times and/or for long periods and/or I had trouble going back to sleep, I'd pass that morning and try to reschedule for one of my off days.

This time we are still BFing at 11 months, and even though he STTN 99% of the time and my boobs rarely feel that full, I would not want to run with my first-thing-in-the-morning boobs. I'm not sure what other exercise I could reasonably do early in the morning without waking everyone else up. I have gone running in the evenings, or I'll try to catch a Spin class when I can, but it's so tough to schedule these things without someone's needs messing it up. Additionally I am not a fan of running at my weight because my running clothes don't fit right yet, and my joints still hurt (knees, hips, back). Last time I'd lost some weight prior to starting to run, so I was a lot lighter than I am now. This time BFing is messing majorly with my weight loss, so I'm just hanging on to whatever workouts I can get until we wean (around a year) and hopefully not only will the weight start falling off, but I can get to those extended Saturday morning Spin classes while my husband feeds the baby and my boobs don't want to fly out of my sports bra to free themselves ;)

My point is, you just have to be as flexible as possible. Come to terms with the fact that you may not work out as frequently and/or for as long as you'd like. This may not be the Jillian Michaels-approved way of thinking, but it's ok!
  • petemeep
    petemeep Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do need to force myself to get on the treadmill even though I may not want to. I know once I do I will enjoy it and feel better about myself and actually have MORE energy. I did get on last night didn't do quite as well as I would like but I did SOMETHING and that's all I really need right now. On nights I feel to tired or run out time to do a full run I've decided I'll at least do a few strength moves even if it's only 5 minutes or less, it's something. I'm not in a huge hurry to lose the last 25lbs, slow and steady weight loss is what works for me I just hate it when I've lost all motivations...I lost 75lbs after I had my first son and I had only gained 35lbs with that pregnancy so I know I can do it, it's just a little more challenging having two little ones!!

Thanks for the support!!! You all are amazing!!
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness girl. You have a full life. Be kind to yourself.

If you feel like you want to do something but don't have much time, try little 5-10-15 minute workouts. While you sit and play with baby. A few sit ups, pushups, squats around the house are totally doable.

I found this blog from a mom who has a few playtime workouts she does around the house with baby. Though, much younger.

https://violetsage.wordpress.com/tag/lazy-girl-fitness/

Really good ideas.

I found a couple fun dance fitness tutorials on YouTube and my daughter loves the fun music and watching mommy shake her booty. She's 1.5yo now so she dances around with me too.

You are doing great mama. If all else fails, try to rest more. Whenever you can.
  • osieray
    osieray Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Boy all you working Moms are tough cookies! I agree cut yourself some slack. It is HARD! when the kiddos wake you up all night. When this happens to me I do 2 things. To get a little exercise in as I go about my regular day I do my normal routine with a little more intensity. Work faster, scrub harder. Every step I walk as quickly as is safe. 2 I rest when I can. It is impossible to do everything I need and want to do when I am exhausted. I also break that rule everyone shouts at me all the time. When Ember won't sleep I give in and bring her to bed with us. I know it is a horrible habit but the little bugger refuses to give up her night time feeding.
    If you do office work you could switch out you chair for a ball. My cousin said that was really effective for her and I find it fun personally . Do presses with your little one, my daughter loves it and if I do it right it is a work out for both my arms and my abs. Dance. LAUGH! as much and as hard as you can (will burn a few calories and makes you feel awesome. Sometimes getting in a longer cardio stretch can be hard but as long as you are doing something you are working toward your ultimate goal.
    Good luck. I hope your little one gives you some peace.