Suggestions for healthier snacks or recipes

Options
catladyksa
catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
I would like to hear from the group any suggestions for healthy snacks to get me from breakfast to lunch and lunch to dinner that will keep me satisfied so I don't try and go off and eat 'mindlessly'! And would also be interested in anyone who would like to share a healthy recipe that you have found you would recommend.

I will start this off with Kale Chips....although kale is not my favorite thing, Kale Chips are great!

1 Bunch Kale
Cooking spray (no calorie one)
Salt (I use low sodium or light salt)

Turn oven on a 350 F

1 Bunch of Kale - Rinse the kale well and remove the long hard stem by pulling off the large bunches of leaves
and either place the leaves in a salad spinner or dry the leaves off

Use two large cookie sheets/baking pans and put the leaves in the pans.

Spray leaves with cooking spray then salt the leaves

Then bake for about 10-12 minutes...do not let it burn.

These are crispy and should be stored in an air tight container!

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I always have nuts or seeds available..
    1oz. of almonds (about 25)
    1 oz. of pistachios (about 50)
    or 1/2 serving of sunflower seeds in the shell. The shell slows down how fast you can eat them.

While a small amount, these are full of fats and fiber that will help you feel full if eaten slowly.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    I always have nuts or seeds available..
    1oz. of almonds (about 25)
    1 oz. of pistachios (about 50)
    or 1/2 serving of sunflower seeds in the shell. The shell slows down how fast you can eat them.

While a small amount, these are full of fats and fiber that will help you feel full if eaten slowly.

Thanks AwesomeGuy37 for this suggestion. I am just afraid of eating too many nuts in one sitting, but I may give it a try. I love pistachios...and if I get them in the shell...this may slow me down as you mentioned!! :-)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I find the trick with nuts is to weigh out a single serving portion into a small bowl and then put the package away. Then I know when I've eaten a single serving.

I often have calories left over at the end of the day and my fat macro will be low. When I'm in that situation I measure out enough nuts to bring me to goal and help meet my fat macro.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For portable snacks I always have an Ostrim Ostrich & Beef stick in my purse. 80 calories, 15 g of protein, not a lot of fat and low carb. I also usually have a protein bar - not one of the ones that is as much sugar as anything else, but one that is about 150 calories, 15g protein, 15g carbs.

There are lots of snack ideas out there, it all depends on what goal you are trying to meet with a snack. For me it is usually about protein.. I often use protein supplements for my afternoon snack most days. 2 scoops of protein powder in water. That is about 250 calories and 45-50g protein (depending on the flavor). Keeps me full until dinner.

Other snacks - cheese sticks, cottage cheese with fruit (buy plain and add your own fruit), half an apple.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Celery sticks (best green) and 2 tbsp. of Peanut Butter.. Yummy. Or you could have an apple instead of butter.

Hard boiled egg and fruit

Low fat cheese stick and apple

Greek Yogurt
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Silly me.. I meant an apple instead of the celery! LOL

Someone just bought me a whole bag of smuckers low sodium peanut butter in individual portions.. what a terrific gift! Some of those will go with me tomorrow with celery sticks and bananas.

Popcorn is another good snack. Try the low calorie kind and add flavorings yourself. You would not believe how awesome it can be with some sugar free caramel.

Veggies dipped in plain greek yogurt (use ranch dressing powder or another type to add flavor).

Baked potato with salsa and fat free sour cream.
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things is popcorn I cook on the stove in coconut oil . It is amazing and I don't miss the artificial ones from the bags at all. We have been trying to incorporate coconut oil in our diet a lot more since it is so healthy for you. My husband even loves the popcorn cooked like that lol and he never thought he would eat it any other way other than movie theater flavor :)
  • jellylocks
    jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm mad on houmus and carrot sticks at the moment. I have 70g which is about 180 cals :) I also make a quiche with cottage cheese, egg and roasted veg which I just cut up and have as a snack. You can add feta cheese or any other cheese you like and have it as a meal with some green veggies, its yummy and really filling :) x
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Wow these are some awesome ideas!!! I am going to try them! I need something that will 'fill' me and keep me 'full' til my next meal and several of these look really great!!! Thanks.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast these days is throw a bag of steamer veggies into microwave. While that cooks, whisk 3 eggs, pour into saute pan (spray with Pam), dump half bag of veggies into egg, sprinkle with 1-2 oz. Lo fat cheese. For veggies, I like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, spinach. I combine bags for variety, sometime add fresh tomato or mushrooms. Never gets boring. VERY FILLING.