Best Clothes Stores

Options
julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
Which clothing stores do you like best? Think about size range, price, whether they make you feel comfortable to shop in.

Maybe some of you use consignment stores you could name in your area.

Any disappointments?

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I find Wal-Mart's JMS to be great for certain things. Also, the faded glory is pretty nice and comfy. I absolutely love the danskin pants/shirts that Wal-mart sells. They're an awesome fit.

I must admit that I miss Fashion Bug BIG TIME!!!! Avenue, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn Women and Catherines are all priced way to high for me.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    I like Cato, end of season or clearance you can pick items up cheap. Dressbarn also have items on clearance. I did have a disappointment with Dress Barn though, I bought a pair of pants that bury me in every way, and another pair that won't stay up! The fit just was not good on me and I didn't feel they washed well.

I love Danskin too and JMS in Walmart is great for casual clothes but I find it useless to find something nice to wear for work. They used to have a good range for work, but no longer.

I find stores like Salvation Army frustrating because stuff is crammed on rails and it is hard to find what you need.

We have a consignment store locally called Great Hang Ups that do much better quality clothing at a price.. but it can also save money.
  • jellylocks
    jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We don't have many places that do bigger sizes here in the UK which is depressing. What there is is either over priced and dowdy or cheaply made and unflattering. We have one shop called Yours which is just about OK. I buy a lot of my clothes from ebay and just hope they fit when the arrive, mostly Ive been lucky as I go for long tunics or dresses over leggings :)

Workout clothes are another thing altogether, moan moan! They go on about us getting out and exercising yet sportswear manufacturers wont make the bigger sizes. I can just about fit into adidas mens xxl for pants and a couple of ladies xxl tops and have literally spent hours trawling the shops and internet to find the few bits I have. I feel so much better about myself if I'm wearing nice clothes made for exercising in :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of catalog shopping for casual clothes - onestopplus.com, woman within, romans, jessica london, etc. I could get casual clothes and workout clothes. Fortunately I get to wear causal to work too.

Now that I'm an 18 I can also shop in the local department store's plus section. I find I have to do that for pants because I am changing sizes so quickly and cut is so important for fit. They aren't necessarily the best prices, but I'm keeping the pants in my interim wardrobes to a minimum. Dillards and Belks are regional department stores that seem to have the best selection.

I have always hated clothes shopping, and I still don't like it much even though I have to do it a lot more. The only good thing is I use it as an excuse to get a lot of steps in at the mall.
  • Healthy4Sarah
    Healthy4Sarah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love Cato's! I've found a few good items at Deb's lately but you always have to try stuff on because their sizes run small. We have great consignment shop in Cleveland that sells larger sizes only! They even post stuff for sale on Facebook that they will ship out (Curvy Online) Its great because they have casual and higher end items. Plus you can take your unused items in for credit. It's hard to find used items in larger sizes so I love this store.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I love onestopplus.com! If you join the shopper's club, shipping is only $2.99. I shop their clearance and outlet and always use a coupon code, so I'm getting $100 dresses for $18 or $60 shoes for $12. Quality can really vary, though, but they are great about returns!
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Wow Karen you are scoring some real bargains there.. I will check that out.

Jellylocks how about Evans? I am from the UK and always loved Evans but they are a bit expensive. I would agree that in the UK plus sizes are limited, here in the US you can buy them almost anywhere.
  • jellylocks
    jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh you're all really lucky having so many plus size shops! Yeah Ive bought the odd thing from Evans but it is expensive and I rarely find anything I like in there. I prefer hippie, boho styles so end up shopping online. I love those asian sari shops and drool over all the dresses and suits in the window. Ive had a couple of tunics made as they do custom dresses but even those are never as nice as the ready made ones . Ive just got to knuckle down and shift this weight!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ive seen Cato's mentioned a few times already, but I have to bring them up also. Im from a small town and sometimes I feel if it wasn't for Cato's I would be naked!! I love their store, great clothes, great prices!! It fits all my needs -work ware, active ware, casual ware, and :wink: play ware! I love Muarices also but they only sell up to a size 24 :grumble:!
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Jelly, do online stores like junonia.com or onestopplus.com ship to the UK?
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Mostly online but my wife introduced me to the Savers store she goes to and gotta admit they have some pretty good choices at cheap prices. Some still have the brand tag on them. Had a deal where you donate 2 bags of clothes and get a 30% off coupon. so i donateed my sad looking 6xls sweatpants.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Wait.. hold up..Maurices has plus sizes? That used to be my favorite store when I was thin! I must check it out.

As y'all have heard me talk about my yo-yo'ing so much, I don't stay in one size long enough to invest in my clothes, so I am very cheap. I stick to walmart and wear them out in a season. Except work pants. I was wearing jeans to work everyday until I got a promotion the last couple months where they asked me not to. Then I went back to the multitude of work pants I have collected over the years in different sizes. Although what I really want to do is wear summer dresses with a sweater over because it get so HOT here outside and cold in the building. I can't help but be thinking though, if I put on a dress, i am going to look like I am wearing a mumu.

Any tips? Do you have to be a certain size/shape to rock a summer dress do you think? Oh I have terrible legs too.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    In my opinion a wrap dress works beautifully on any figure!! Love them. Plus you can get them in any length. So if ya feel the need to cover your legs, they got you covered.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find Wal-Mart's JMS to be great for certain things. Also, the faded glory is pretty nice and comfy. I absolutely love the danskin pants/shirts that Wal-mart sells. They're an awesome fit.

I must admit that I miss Fashion Bug BIG TIME!!!! Avenue, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn Women and Catherines are all priced way to high for me.

OMG, I miss Fashion Bug too! I shopped there pretty much exclusively. I cannot stand Catherine's or Lane Bryant--way too expensive and a lot of stuff is dowdy. I dont know who got it in their head that plus sized women want shirts with hideous appliques all over them!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I like Maurices too. I have shopped in Evans (located in the area where I work) but I don't like it much as I agree ...it is not very 'hip', OK...I am not a hipster....quite far from it, but the clothing is boring, plain. I like Ulla Popkins (in Europe the clothing line is from Germany), and you can order on-line from the USA. They have nice clothing. I like Walmarts JMS too...especially in their elastic band jeans!! I like Dressbarn for Women....there are some nice things there, but I go to the Outlet Mall for Dressbarn.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Look of Torrid's clothes, but I cannot help but think..they are skinny girl clothes just in bigger sizes. That being said, I have never actually bought anything from Torrid. I have been inside and they have a lot of cute stuff for decent prices. I just am not sure I have the confidence..
  • Kourui
    Kourui Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I shop Torrid, browse the odd bargain from IGIGI, and Lane Bryant is on my **** list again. Locally, we really only have the Reitmans line in Canada, they have Reitmans, Additionelle and Penningtons. You have to try their stuff in person I find. I can shop online and be 100% accurate that what I buys fits. Walk into Reitmans, never know what size you'll walk out with, if you buy anything at all.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The last two years I just got to big to be able to shop at stores anymore. The Macy's and the Khols have a tiny big and tall section but I have used them. Most often I shop online at Macy's or more often other stores and then looking for the same brands on amazon. Thankfully I don't shop for cloths often, maybe once a year. I'm hoping in a year I can return to shopping in stores and actually finding plenty of things that fit me.

I like Areotech designs for plus size sports wear. Need compression or spandex shorts for 5XL, they have it. Not the cheapest but i'm not buying a lot or very often. Love the compression shorts I got there, they have transformed my walking. For exercise gear in town I love FleetFeet, great running store with staff who will custom fit my walking shoes and shoe me how to use a foam and hard roller for muscle sorriness.