Surgery?

Options
KLFouty
KLFouty Posts: 7 Member
Good morning! I am in the initial stages of beginning the VSG process. I initially considered the band, but my family doctor recommended the sleeve. In looking into it more, I like the idea of not having to have something STAY in my body and go in for refills, reductions, etc. I have a group appointment in a couple of weeks to learn more about the process, etc. I have not taken this lightly - it seems like I've spent my entire adult life struggling with my weight. I go through phases where I write down every crumb of food that goes anywhere near my mouth and work out on a daily basis. But when I have very slow loss, I tend to move away from it because I get discouraged. I cannot do this any more and it's time to make some serious changes! I'm tired of feeling awful, wearing a CPAP mask, getting tired walking up stairs and falling asleep 30 minutes after getting home from work because I'm so exhausted!! I am now 252 pounds - the lightest I have been in the last 3 years was 195 - steadily crept up from that to where I am now.

If you are willing to share your stories - where you started, where you are now and how your surgeries went, did you have any complications? I am terrified of something happening during or after the surgery, but I am more terrified of living my life the way I'm doing now!

Thank you in advance! I would love to be friends with anyone that is interested!!
Karen

Replies

• DeniseNCC1701
    DeniseNCC1701 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Greetings KL!

Here's my story:

I was sleeved on February 24 of this year. Like many of us, I've been overweight all my late teen and adult life. I had considered weight loss surgery in the past, but always talked myself out of it with… "Oh, I just need to try harder. I can do it on my own if I just assert myself/stay motivated/etc, etc." And yes, I ran the gamut of attempts: Weight Watchers several times, Ideal Protein several times, old fashioned diet and exercise, nutrisystem, etc...

Several years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Over the past few years, I've seen my medication dosages increase, and I started taking cholesterol and blood pressure meds as well. Things were pretty well controlled until last year when my numbers started to increase. I became more depressed, I ate poorly, didn't exercise and found my weight had climbed to over 380 (I had been hovering in the 350-370 for about a year, too). Finally, in late January, I had more bloodwork done, and it was ugly. I was miserable. I had no energy, and worst of all, I had no hope. Realizing that I had to do something, I threw in the proverbial towel on more traditional weight loss and looked into surgical options.

I too wanted the band initially, but further research indicated that the sleeve might be a better choice for me given that my BMI was over 60. My surgeon agreed. After a whirlwind of appointments and tests, I had the sleeve done. The procedure went smoothly, though I had alot of pain in the recovery room. Also, the first few days post-op were rough for me. I had pain in my chest and upper left shoulder. I had trouble breathing due to all my muscles being stretched out during the procedure. I also wondered what the heck I had done to myself. But by day 5, I was feeling much better, and I was back to work one week post-op. Two weeks post-op, and I was out fishing. I am blessed to have had a smooth recovery.

I am now almost 9 weeks post op. I have lost a touch over 35lbs since the procedure. I also lost 15lbs pre-op. I am one of the slower losers, and I'm in the middle of a stall right now (stall are common). I'm frustrated, but physically I am feeling better with each week. Best of all, I've been able to cut my diabetes medicine in half already. And my blood pressure is improving. My doctor thinks I could be off all meds by the end of the year.

I do have to emphasis that you really have to commit to the process. You will need to eat healthy and exercise regularly. The sleeve (or the band), is a tool. A very powerful tool! But you have to follow your surgeons instructions for maximum benefits.

I recommend taking a look around Bariatricpal.com. There's lots of useful information there, and tons of messages from people at all different stages in their journey.

Congratulations on taking these first steps. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'll do my best to answer them!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It was a hard decision for me, I have been a yo-yo dieter most my adult life and really thought that I had the control and could do this myself, but year after year I was not successful despite all the exercise and weight loss program, I do not have any co morbidities, but my BMI was 42. My husband was apprehensive about me doing this but he saw how committed I was and he agreed. I went to my first meeting in January, and I read through the books and did the homework and decided the sleeve was best for me, I met with the Dr, in Feb, and had my surgery April 17, I have had surgeries in the past with difficulties and this one was the easiest I have had. Yes there is some pain, but they do manage it with pain meds, I was worried that they would have to do open surgery, as my other surgeries were full of complications and having those past experiences I was a bit nervous, but I woke up and everything went wonderful. While in the hospital I did have some regrets thinking, what did I do to myself, but being a week out I am much better. I am a bit weak at times, but nothing I can't handle.
    I didn't tell anyone except my close family members what type of surgery I was having, I know there are those that want to judge and criticize, and I need to focused on myself getting well,. Good luck to you.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here's my story, I started the process in December, my highest weight was 264. I've been overweight my entire life, even as a child. I've done every diet imaginable never lost more than 40lbs and eventually gained it back. I'm approaching 40 and I realized I couldn't lose this weight on my own and it kept creeping up. I was sleeved March 17th this year. I lost 17lbs pre-op and 22lbs post op in 6 weeks. I could not have asked for a better recovery, I feel great. I have a lot more energy. A lot of my aches and pains around my hips and knees have gone away and I'm only 40lbs down. It's only to go get better from here on out. I have absolutely no regrets.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I spent over 2 years thinking about and getting educated on the various weight loss surgeries. I decided on the sleeve because for me it flet like the most natural of them all. Simply put, the sleeve surgically reduces the size of your stomach by removing the stretchy part. Period. Nothing is left inside, nothing is disconnected and rerouted, etc.

I had my surgery July 2011. I started at 386 with 226 pounds to lose (goal is 160). I tended right from the start to lose slowly, some of us do, and I've had several rather long stalls, but I'm not done yet, so I keep working the program. :smile:

All I can say is that this is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have just one regret and that is waiting until I was 55 to have this done.
  • KLFouty
    KLFouty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I am scheduled to attend a pre-op information group with my husband in a couple weeks. The bariatric pal site is a great reference, but I have freaked myself out reading some of the posts. It doesn't help that I am a "worst case scenario" "what-if?" type of person to start with! I have a few family members and friends that know I am considering the surgery, but I don't really want to tell anyone else. They will obviously know something is going on when I am looking A-MAZING, but I don't really feel like dealing with it. I work in the health care field, so feel judged and even feel myself like I should practice what I preach! My 2 good friends initially responded with "that's a little extreme". Once I explained my reasoning to them, they both said that I need to do what is best for me and they will be there for me and love me whatever I decide. That was really great to hear. I know that I am more than my weight, but I want to feel like I am really living and not just getting by! I don't want to look back 10 years from now, even heavier, and wish that I had done this! Looking forward to hearing more from everyone and how they are doing!
    Karen